Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default The Zack Snyder's Justice League *Respectful* Film Discussion

I know this will likely be a lost cause, but I figure I'll give this a shot since the Zack Snyder Appreciation Thread has been closed for what I can only assume are the usual reasons. Let's see if we can establish a few ground rules that will hopefully make this one last a little longer

1) If you can't handle any criticism of Zack Snyder's work, I would suggest restarting the appreciation thread. I have my issues with Snyder's films, but I also think there's a lot of really great stuff in them, so while I am genuinely looking forward to seeing what this film is going to be, I also think it'll have a lot of ideas that are worth critiquing beyond the reductive "Snyder's just a dumb dudebro in love with Ayn Rand!" stuff.

2) If you've hated Snyder's previous DC films and are planning to slog through a FOUR HOUR film just so you can come here to complain about it, that says a lot more about you than it does about the quality of Zack Snyder's films. No one is asking for you to relitigate the well-trodden ground of why you and others do not like his particular take on the DC characters.

3) This is also not a place to complain about the toxic fandom. Yes, there are horrible people who both love and hate Zack Snyder's films. We don't need another pissing contest over which faction is worse or whether or not HBO Max should have even bankrolled this film to begin with. This thread is to discuss the merits of the film itself, not whether or not it should even exist.

4) Please remember that we're discussing a movie about people running around in ridiculous costumes shooting lazers out of their various bodily orifices. Save the righteous indignation for topics that are more worthy of it. Have fun and remember that there's lots of different ways of approaching these characters and you may not necessarily like all of them.

5) We don't need to rehash whether or not the Snyder-verse will be continuing. That's above all our paygrades and no amount of our Monday Morning Quarterbacking of it is going to change the simple fact NONE of us are going to know how successful or unsuccessful Zack Snyder's Justice League is going to be because streaming numbers are a giant shell game. The current WB head isn't interested in continuing Snyder's films so it isn't happening no matter how much you may want it to. Just enjoy this film for what it is and appreciate it on its own terms rather than pine for something that is currently a pipe dream at best.

Okay, boys and girls, let's all play nicely with each other and remember to have fun. SPOILERS will be fair game the moment the movie becomes available.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 02-22-2021 at 07:46 AM.

Let the battles begin!

Spectacular Member

I loved man of steel but hated BvS so I'm interested to see ZSJL. It'll be nice to have some closure to his story and even if I don't like it it'll be fun seeing more Aquaman and Wonder Woman. Whilst I don't agree with Snyder's director direction I definitely think he should be chief cinematographer on all DC movies as his visuals are stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning63 View Post
    I loved man of steel but hated BvS so I'm interested to see ZSJL. It'll be nice to have some closure to his story and even if I don't like it it'll be fun seeing more Aquaman and Wonder Woman. Whilst I don't agree with Snyder's director direction I definitely think he should be chief cinematographer on all DC movies as his visuals are stunning.
    One of the major criticism he receives is that his movies are too dark.

Amongst all the faults of Whedon's cut, the thing for me is there weren't any particularly great fight scenes. The thing I'm looking forward to this Cut is the fight choreography. Say what you will, Snyder can get heroes punching things like a pro.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    One of the major criticism he receives is that his movies are too dark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Amongst all the faults of Whedon's cut, the thing for me is there weren't any particularly great fight scenes. The thing I'm looking forward to this Cut is the fight choreography. Say what you will, Snyder can get heroes punching things like a pro.
    Choreography was the word I was looking for. The fight scenes and scenes work great. I don't think there's a problem with lighting but his movies (MOS in particular) look lifeless with the lack of colour.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The most fascinating thing for me will be to see how the change in color palate looks, as we've already seen a version of this film with the bright colors that the MCU has favored. I'm curious to see how Snyder's more muted colors will work given that's how these sequences were designed in the first place.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Word, I expect major stylish ass whooping.For me the MoS beatdowns were just epic ,the way Zack plans every shot and frame for example when Faora was leaping to take out the Warthog with the Cape splayed like a freaking raptor I was like whoa ..every shot is just so stylish. Strange thing is even the peaceful or thoughtful moments , obviously the actors are great but Zack just has a knack for capturing great emotion in so many powerful scenes.I just hope the fans subscribe in droves to vindicate his effort and struggle to bring this film through,haters gonna hate ,but fan love matters more ultimately.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Lot of infos in this new VanityFair article:

Justice League: The Shocking, Exhilarating, Heartbreaking True Story of #TheSnyderCut: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...gue-snyder-cut

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

From what I've seen, most of the scenes look better as originally intended. The dark background makes the lights and color that are there pop more. I do like more color in the sky for some of the wide landscape shots in Whedon's version though.

I don't love that so many of Snyder's sequences take place at night - the few scenes during the daytime in BvS were cut (and re-added in the Extended). But MOS wasn't really like that, so let's see how this turns out.

Mera is blonde in ZSJL

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Lot of infos in this new VanityFair article:

Justice League: The Shocking, Exhilarating, Heartbreaking True Story of #TheSnyderCut: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...gue-snyder-cut
    Great article ,thanks. It's so surreal reading what happened and what has followed it's like a movie within a true story that can also be made into its own movie.Crazy but yeah bittersweet ending with him losing his daughter but getting the best closure and a way of honouring her memory with a positive movement saving other lives and saving his film

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    Mera is blonde in ZSJL
    That's odd, I'm not sure if it's definite or just appears that way in a certain light.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Great article ,thanks. It's so surreal reading what happened and what has followed it's like a movie within a true story that can also be made into its own movie.Crazy but yeah bittersweet ending with him losing his daughter but getting the best closure and a way of honouring her memory with a positive movement saving other lives and saving his film
    I thought those bits about them coping were most interesting, and the author of the article paints a vivid picture.

It's interesting that Zack never came off as bitter about what happened. I'm also glad he didn't settle for releasing the rough cut.

Snyder isn't getting paid for the Snyder cut and he probably hasn't seen the Whedon cut
    The J-man