Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    Do you mean the like old school monsterverse that Universal did with the old movie monsters, then yes between them and Toho they were the first at doing it. However take a look at Dark Universe and you'll see that Universal tanked it hard.
    Sorry, that was a brain fart. Actually I meant Legendary's Monsterverse. The one with Godzilla vs King Kong

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Sorry, that was a brain fart. Actually I meant Legendary's Monsterverse. The one with Godzilla vs King Kong
    See I kind of wondered that but since there actually is a thing called universal monster verse I didn’t know. Your still right. What legendary has pulled off is downright impressive. Even if they lose the Godzilla rights they’ve built it strong enough that Kong can carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    See I kind of wondered that but since there actually is a thing called universal monster verse I didn’t know. Your still right. What legendary has pulled off is downright impressive. Even if they lose the Godzilla rights they’ve built it strong enough that Kong can carry it.
    And they did it by setting a clear, unambitious roadmap (just four movies to their big team up, comparable to the MCU's five films in phase 1), and they stuck with it, putting their all into every one even if they weren't the best.

DC scheduled the death of Superman for its second film and the Justice League team up for its fourth without building up to any of them, but by all accounts, if they hadn't tried to completely change it too late in the process, Justice League could have been maybe not the best movie but a perfectly serviceable film that set them up for more films down the road if they hadn't panicked after Batman V Superman's deservedly bad reception. I don't believe it would have done all that much better and might not even have been all that well-received but at least it wouldn't be a shadow hanging over them for this long

EDIT: Could the Dark Universe have done this, too? Maybe. Despite getting 11% on rotten tomatoes I actually thought it was a fun movie with some very obvious problems that could've been salvaged with future films.
    Last edited by Thezmage; 04-08-2021 at 09:56 PM.

wow, glad he got to truly showcase his work

Last edited by Jabare; 04-09-2021 at 01:04 AM.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Did he seriously expect the studio to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to release superhero films into theaters that were more than 3 hours long?
    I don't know, Batman meeting Superman first time on the big screen, sounds like it could warrant it? Its not like it was some random superhero movie.

Edit: Finished reading the interview and kinda funny that originally BvS was supposed to be darker, I wonder if that was Snyder's idea or WB's? Either way, as I understand, WB was fine with it being darker till Affleck brought in his own writer.
    Last edited by HsssH; 04-08-2021 at 11:16 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I don't know, Batman meeting Superman first time on the big screen, sounds like it could warrant it? Its not like it was some random superhero movie.

Edit: Finished reading the interview and kinda funny that originally BvS was supposed to be darker, I wonder if that was Snyder's idea or WB's? Either way, as I understand, WB was fine with it being darker till Affleck brought in his own writer.
    Had Man of Steel been an unequivocal hit with audiences and it been Christian Bale or Michael Keaton returning as Batman, absolutely. That would have been a big enough event that they could have justified a 3 hour film.

But audiences were split over Man of Steel and people were pretty skeptical of Affleck (although he certainly changed a lot of people's minds after they saw him in the role), so asking people to spend 3 hours of guys in tights being sad was a giant ask and Terrio should have enough self-awareness to know that was never going to be something that was feasible.

I have no doubt that the script that Goyer wrote was even worse, though.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

That article is very illuminating in terms of the why and how of the shitshow the DCEU became, but I think Terrio is being a little naive here. Did he seriously expect the studio to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to release superhero films into theaters that were more than 3 hours long? This would be like a comic book writer scripting a 40 page comic book and being upset that it didn't make sense anymore because it was trimmed down to 22 pages.

Terrio's job was to produce a script for a crowd-pleasing blockbuster that could play as many times as possible so that the studio gets a return on their investment. That means the running time can't really exceed 2 and a half hours. There are certainly exceptions, like Avengers Endgame, but those are the outliers, not the standard. Marvel had built up a decade worth of goodwill in order for that to work. DC had not.

That said, the release order for the films certainly put Terrio in a rough spot and it sounds like he was put in an impossible position in terms of how to satisfy all the various demands of the studio executives, none of whom had any clue how story, plot, or structure worked.
    ZS ages ago in BvS press cycle said WB & he agreed it would be 3hrs before filming only for them to change their minds a month before release this makes sense because my theatre had signs up saying the film was going to be 3hrs long when it wasn't.

Anyway ZS said he wasn't a James Cameron and couldn't exactly fight WB so the UE compromise was made.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    ZS ages ago in BvS press cycle said WB & he agreed it would be 3hrs before filming only for them to change their minds a month before release this makes sense because my theatre had signs up saying the film was going to be 3hrs long when it wasn't.

Anyway ZS said he wasn't a James Cameron and couldn't exactly fight WB so the UE compromise was made.
    Dear lord, what a disastrous decision by Warner Bros. Granted, I don’t think it would have helped much. The vitriolic response might have been less pronounced as the 3 hour version of BvS actually makes sense, but I suspect it still would have been viewed as an over long slog by casual audiences.

Yeah, I don't think that Ultimate Edition version would have really changed the game, but I think it would have made that 1 billion box office.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Yeah, I don't think that Ultimate Edition version would have really changed the game, but I think it would have made that 1 billion box office.
    How so? With a longer running time, there would be less showings per theater, which would reduce the box office haul. I mean, geeks like ourselves likely would have double-dipped if we liked it, but I doubt that would have made a big enough dent.

How so? With a longer running time, there would be less showings per theater, which would reduce the box office haul. I mean, geeks like ourselves likely would have double-dipped if we liked it, but I doubt that would have made a big enough dent.
    The name of the movie didn't help either. With a name like Batman v Superman, you expect them to actually fight a lot more than for 7 slow minutes. In the UE version it took 2 1/2 hours for that to happen, and the fight itself was so lackluster (but I don't blame Zack for that, even in the comics Batman and Superman fighting is pretty boring. You either have Batman make Superman look like a weakling or an idiot with Kryptonite spamming or Superman make Batman look trivial with all his powers).

So a "click bait" movie title isn't the best way to go for a 3 hour film, or even a 2 1/2 hour film honestly, it still took way to long and the trailers made it look like they would at least have more scenes together.

BvS had record second week drop. If it was same as Ultimate Version then I think opening weekend would have been smaller, but it would have had way better legs. But thats obviously just speculations at this point.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    The name of the movie didn't help either. With a name like Batman v Superman, you expect them to actually fight a lot more than for 7 slow minutes. In the UE version it took 2 1/2 hours for that to happen, and the fight itself was so lackluster (but I don't blame Zack for that, even in the comics Batman and Superman fighting is pretty boring. You either have Batman make Superman look like a weakling or an idiot with Kryptonite spamming or Superman make Batman look trivial with all his powers).

So a "click bait" movie title isn't the best way to go for a 3 hour film, or even a 2 1/2 hour film honestly, it still took way to long and the trailers made it look like they would at least have more scenes together.
    Honestly, did they even have to actually fight each other, or could they have simply been rival heroes comparing their respective methods?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Honestly, did they even have to actually fight each other, or could they have simply been rival heroes comparing their respective methods?
    Heroes talking through their problems instead of almost killing each other? Sacrilege!!! It's not like other movies have them do that all the time and still carry emotional weight in that scene. *heavy sarcasm*

I honestly would have preferred another Batman warehouse scene over the BvS fight. That was *thumbs up* some good action.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Heroes talking through their problems instead of almost killing each other? Sacrilege!!! It's not like other movies have them do that all the time and still carry emotional weight in that scene. *heavy sarcasm*

I honestly would have preferred another Batman warehouse scene over the BvS fight. That was *thumbs up* some good action.
    yeah, I'd have liked to see a movie of Superman and Batman doing heroics and seeing which one's methods work in which situations. Wonder Woman can drop by, but actually be integrated into the plot and not just going after a painting

A hero vs hero conflict which made sense to me was Black Panther vs. Cap and Winter Soldier in Civil War. I bought that