Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I was actually a big fan of Man of Steel (I was also a freshman in HS when I watched it so my tastes have definitely evolved). I only saw the extended cut of BvS because I heard the theatrical release was bad, and it definitely fixed a lot of the plot holes that people complained about but I could not get behind killing Superman in his second appearance for the sake of Jesus allegory.

I got to see Justice League for free at a special screening at my university and I remember being so pumped before hand and so underwhelmed afterwards (glad it was free tho). I’m really glad he’ll get to complete his creative vision even if I didn’t agree with the general direction.
    I just think that, when you have a director that proves to be style over substance... again and again... he shouldnt be taken seriously and he shouldnt be given these kinds of projects... BUT we're all fans of the comics and cartoons and so... we have to care, by default. I enjoyed Watchmen for any degree of faithfulness it had. I enjoyed Man of Steel IN THE THEATER but every time I have watched it since, I like it less and less. Justice League? These are not Gardner Fox's characters anymore? These are not even the Bruce Timm versions? THESE are someone else's vision and, outside of Wonder Woman, resemble hardly anything of what I know. They're not even right aesthetically? Barry is not the handsome blond police scientist. He's a kid. I dunno. You guys have fun... I was mildly entertained by Justice League, I won't be seeing this again.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comics N' Toons View Post
    My thoughts on Snyder have always been... like Tim Burton and other visual directors... he doesnt care about source material and simply wants to push his vision... That said, when a studio mandates some tiny level of faithfulness, he can make a damn good superhero flick... case and point... Watchmen!

I do think Man of Steel is better than most people give it credit for. There are some glaring things about that movie that just scream... NO!

His Justice League? Not a great movie, obviously... or they wouldnt be doing... whatever this is... but it wasn't a bad film... even if the characters didnt resemble very much of what I've been reading for decades.
    Well I mean that is expected these are FILMS not comic book. Here the thing comic books movies have never been direct adaptations of a book with the exception you mentioned. Heck even the animated films based on specific books take a lot of liberties. We have never got a yellow Wolverine live action costume, Thor never wore a helmet, much beloved Rami's SM had organic web shooters so on and so forth. Look at the tonne of liberties Nolan's film took, guess he never cared for the source material either? His Batman killed all the time.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I just heard of the 'leak' today, was the entire movie leaked or just an hour? I don't think it's a marketing ploy.Someone wants or wanted to scupper this movie.
    How exactly is letting some people see the film early in order to spread word of mouth and keep excitement going a week ahead of time going to scupper the film?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    How exactly is letting some people see the film early in order to spread word of mouth and keep excitement going a week ahead of time going to scupper the film?
    First of all depends on how much was shown

Secondly we live in an age of piracy, who knows if people who watched it didn't save it or make copies and then loads will see it without subscribing.

Obviously if the word of mouth is good , it could grow subscriptions, but I'm more worried about piracy.

Right now most of the talk is of mistakes/errors and basically ineptitude for such a thing to happen, it's almost unprecedented.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

When in doubt, human incompetence and laziness is generally the right answer. Conspiracy theories rarely end up being the truth.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Are you guys reading anything particular to get excited?

I remember before the theatrical JL came out I read Darkseid War for the first time.

I was thinking of checking out Superman: The Dark Side. People seem to recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Are you guys reading anything particular to get excited?

I remember before the theatrical JL came out I read Darkseid War for the first time.

I was thinking of checking out Superman: The Dark Side. People seem to recommend it.
    Snyder said that Final Crisis was a big influence for him. The New Edition is an excellent re-edit of the original editorially bungled story. Definitely worth checking out.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Snyder said that Final Crisis was a big influence for him. The New Edition is an excellent re-edit of the original editorially bungled story. Definitely worth checking out.
    Ah that's a good one.

I have hope that this cut will do the same for me as the extended cut of BvS, i can't say i hated the theatrical BvS but the extended version was IMO far better. So i hope the same applies here, i like that we are getting more Cyborg and Flash, love the Black Suit Henry wears in this, curious how they handle Steppenwolf and Darkseid, what the extended Nightmare world is like.

Overall though i want this to succeed, even though WB/DC said we aren't getting more from Snyder, i want it to show that he was the right person to helm DC films the way he did and not just copy the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Snyder isn't getting paid for the Snyder cut and he probably hasn't seen the Whedon cut
    I heard that people close to him told him never to do so, can't remember who exactly but i believe it was in an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    There is new Absolute Edition that also includes content from #1 Director's Cut and Sketchbook so it adds few extra details on top of already excellent The New Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    I heard that people close to him told him never to do so, can't remember who exactly but i believe it was in an interview.
    I think Nolan said it.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    There is new Absolute Edition that also includes content from #1 Director's Cut and Sketchbook so it adds few extra details on top of already excellent The New Edition.

I think Nolan said it.
    Yup, Deborah Snyder and Christopher Nolan are both producers on the film so they watched the theatrical cut and advised him to never watch it as it would break his heart. Ouch.

Spectacular Member

I just think that, when you have a director that proves to be style over substance... again and again... he shouldnt be taken seriously and he shouldnt be given these kinds of projects... BUT we're all fans of the comics and cartoons and so... we have to care, by default. I enjoyed Watchmen for any degree of faithfulness it had. I enjoyed Man of Steel IN THE THEATER but every time I have watched it since, I like it less and less. Justice League? These are not Gardner Fox's characters anymore? These are not even the Bruce Timm versions? THESE are someone else's vision and, outside of Wonder Woman, resemble hardly anything of what I know. They're not even right aesthetically? Barry is not the handsome blond police scientist. He's a kid. I dunno. You guys have fun... I was mildly entertained by Justice League, I won't be seeing this again.
    Yeah I like his wonder woman and aquaman and hate his Flash but I'm not feeling anything about his batman, cyborg and freaking superman. That's a massive problem!

My attitude has been that it's fine if he wants to try something different for batman and superman but since it's aquaman, cyborg and Flash's first live action debuts they should be more accurate to their traditional character

BANNED

My thoughts on Snyder have always been... like Tim Burton and other visual directors... he doesnt care about source material and simply wants to push his vision... That said, when a studio mandates some tiny level of faithfulness, he can make a damn good superhero flick... case and point... Watchmen!

I do think Man of Steel is better than most people give it credit for. There are some glaring things about that movie that just scream... NO!

His Justice League? Not a great movie, obviously... or they wouldnt be doing... whatever this is... but it wasn't a bad film... even if the characters didnt resemble very much of what I've been reading for decades.
    Weird how people always always hold up Watchmen, the film was terrible and completely misrepresented the themes of the source material.
    Last edited by Jewel Runner; 03-11-2021 at 09:06 AM.

Let Snyder have his day, and then let's please move on!
    I'm really eager to see what other directors can do with these characters outside of Snyder.