Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Where are you at with your DC comics?

I'm just wondering where people are at with their comics. Are you reading current comics and keeping up to date or are you reading trades or more older comics? What is your current comic status/plan?

Both, reading current stuff that I like as I am around to read it and picking up trades for stuff I was too young for when they first came out, like Mark Waid's Flash or Geoff John's 90's Justice Society Run or the Power of Shazam books.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I stopped buying new DC comics a while back.

I have some stuff I've bought on Comixology, but I use DCUInfinite to read DC comics now.
    They have complete runs of the '80s Legion, Outsiders, Infinity Inc, Omega Men and Titans.
    Still waiting for them to plug the holes in the original JLA, but I saw today that they're adding two of the missing issues to DCUI and Comixology next month.

I am reading some more recent comics on DCUI.
    I started reading the newer Justice League Dark series, and find it better than the older series. The characters seem to have more 'character' than they did at the start of New52.
    Through JLD, I started reading Wonder Woman, but depending on how the Aphrodite story goes I may be dropping it. I didn't care for the Nord art. Especially during the fight scenes with Ares.
    Meanwhile, there was an ad/preview for Aquaman and I liked it enough to add his book to my reading. But while #43 looked really good, the story felt very meh. We'll see if I keep reading it, too.

As for physical comics, I still have my '80s Legion collection, my '80s Star Trek comics and my JLI collection I can go back and re-read if I want to.
    I did decide to pick up some more older comics but I just haven't gotten around to it.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 02-22-2021 at 09:26 AM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I'm still reading current titles but my pull list has shrunk quite a lot. The semester before the pandemic was crazy and I fell behind on my books, then 2020 happened and after months of shutdown/quarantine I found it hard to give a damn about the issues I had missed, so now I'm just pulling a handful of books I'm really invested/interested in, several of which are mini's so my pull will be even smaller when they wrap.

I buy trades too; some of it's modern stuff I don't bother with in floppy (like Williamson's Flash), some of it's older material (like Simmonson's Thor).

And I'll be getting some of the digital first books too, mostly the Milestone stuff.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I follow a few ongoing titles, but even that it's mostly waiting for the trades. I don't recall the last time I was so uninterested in what DC's doing. Maybe around DC You time?

I've given up on new issues with the last issue of the latest Hawkman book.
    My time and money is spent looking for back issues, pre1990, that I missed the first time around.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Mostly older trades. Got a bunch on discount and there are lots of classics I have yet to dive into.

I'm still catching up on Williams' Flash run and plan on reading the rest of Flash Forward. After that I'll see if I can get Death Metal in trade and hop back into some current titles.

Might also catch up on Morrison's Green Lantern and Venditti's Hawkman, which I enjoyed, just got distracted from the routine and had to budget a bit.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I still buy new titles. I buy trades every now and then when I can.

I read the current stuff, some older stuff from time to time but not much since I'm more interesting in observing DC struggle to sort their storytelling out than I am in their actual product; plus most older stuff in comics are pretty mid with some exceptional spots.

I do read trades if given the option, since you can read the full story, but it's rare that I want to revisit a story to get the trade. like 1 out of every 15 or so stories i'll revisit in trade. most times it's for a character I want to actively support.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-22-2021 at 12:41 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Completely given up on buying any new stuff, but spending more than ever on back issues and collections.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I stopped buying new DC comics a while back.

I have some stuff I've bought on Comixology, but I use DCUInfinite to read DC comics now.
    They have complete runs of the '80s Legion, Outsiders, Infinity Inc, Omega Men and Titans.
    Still waiting for them to plug the holes in the original JLA, but I saw today that they're adding two of the missing issues to DCUI and Comixology next month.

I am reading some more recent comics on DCUI.
    I started reading the newer Justice League Dark series, and find it better than the older series. The characters seem to have more 'character' than they did at the start of New52.
    Through JLD, I started reading Wonder Woman, but depending on how the Aphrodite story goes I may be dropping it. I didn't care for the Nord art. Especially during the fight scenes with Ares.
    Meanwhile, there was an ad/preview for Aquaman and I liked it enough to add his book to my reading. But while #43 looked really good, the story felt very meh. We'll see if I keep reading it, too.

As for physical comics, I still have my '80s Legion collection, my '80s Star Trek comics and my JLI collection I can go back and re-read if I want to.
    I did decide to pick up some more older comics but I just haven't gotten around to it.
    I'm hoping to do this once I get DC Universe Infinite but I'm in the UK so I can't get access to it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    Completely given up on buying any new stuff, but spending more than ever on back issues and collections.
    Ditto.

Recently found both of the early 90 JSA mini-series in dollar boxes and it was a very fun read!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Largely? I'm waiting.. I'm waiting for the event cycle to end before buying much of anything. I'll buy certain event books or pitches that seem well thought out
    even if it is and event.
    Example. I bought
    "Collapser"
    "Last Gods"
    "The Many Deaths of Vic Sage"
    and "Event Leviathan"

But as far as consistent books... its like they don't seem inclined to offer me very much in the way of ... consistent stories with characters I'm interested in.

Still though... I wasn't interested in Vic Sage either till that book pop up and it sounded like a pitch I'd suggested for moon knight, but Vic worked really well I was happy with it.

Dc has the wealth of character to make a compelling universe but I think they're focused on all the wrong things all the time be it from Stubborn People topside or Being over reactionary to fan respose...
    I feel like they don't have the best direction for the shared universe when they cash in the chip of "okay lets make everyone evil batmen" + "how can we milk the watchmen moore".
    Its hard to get into anything very deeply with them RN
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

DC pretty much wiped all my comics out for by ending most of the titles for their endless winter event....

but I'll catch up with the re- launch of everything next month.

All caught up. Honestly, I don't like this whole Infinite Frontier thing. Cool, all the history and stuff is being restored. But why are they pushing a new generation? Why can't everything be like it was back when I liked it?