Page 13 of 75 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2021 Season

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Funny thing is that history is being made at a team that is going to go nowhere, the Angels. Ohtani's game yesterday was.....just historic. Ohtani became the first home run leader, (yes, he is a co-leader, staggeringly), since Babe Ruth in 1921 to be the starting pitcher, (he struck out 9, scored three runs and drove in two runs, and won 9-4---but who cares about the win in a game between the Angels and Rangers). That guy is staggering. Hope he remains uninjured this time.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ohtani-wi...032057397.html
    Ohtani certainly is fascinating to watch, both on the mound and at the plate. Unfortunately, he's on a team destined to spin it's wheels in quicksand and miss out on the postseason, time after time, even with Mike Trout, one of THE best players in the game today.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Ohtani certainly is fascinating to watch, both on the mound and at the plate. Unfortunately, he's on a team destined to spin it's wheels in quicksand and miss out on the postseason, time after time, even with Mike Trout, one of THE best players in the game today.
    That's the frustrating part. What they really need is pitching, both starting and pen. Apart from Ohtani himself, they don't really have anyone I'd regard as even a decent pitcher of either variety. There were guys available, and the Angels just didn't do anything. And without pitching, they might break .500 at the end of the season, but not by much. And they might not even do that.

Ohtani is IMO the most exciting player today, and that's saying something in a group that includes guys like Tatis, Mookie, Trout, and plenty of others. I wouldn't be surprised to see the guy turn up for a day as a position player, just for kicks, and watch him turn in a Gold Glove level performance. I've see him steal bases! A pitcher stealing bases! Most of 'em have trouble getting on a base, and he has evidently elite level running speed and excellent judgement in baserunning. In that game, his bunt base hit against the shift was one of the best I've seen in years, and most active hitters can't bunt well.

IMO, MLB should do whatever they can to encourage pitchers to hit and base run well. I'd like to see more like Ohtani come up. They've been searching for ways to make the game more exciting; that's it, build more exciting players.
    Last edited by achilles; 04-28-2021 at 06:12 AM.

Got to go to my first game since 2019 last night, Braves thumped the Cubs featuring Ian Anderson throwing a 7 inning 1 hit shutout and Ronald Acuna hitting a 481 foot home run, great time and loved getting to go to a game again. Anderson's gem apparently makes him the first pitcher since 1920 to have three starts of at least six innings with one or fewer hits allowed during his first 11 career big league games, and even sitting ins a less than stellar seat his stuff was pretty impressive to see live, he has top of the rotation cy young competing ace written all over him. He's also 22.
    Last edited by Hiromi; 04-28-2021 at 09:09 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Got to go to my first game since 2019 last night, Braves thumped the Cubs featuring Ian Anderson throwing a 7 inning 1 hit shutout and Ronald Acuna hitting a 481 foot home run, great time and loved getting to go to a game again. Anderson's gem apparently makes him the first pitcher since 1920 to have three starts of at least six innings with one or fewer hits allowed during his first 11 career big league games, and even sitting ins a less than stellar seat his stuff was pretty impressive to see live, he has top of the rotation cy young competing ace written all over him. He's also 22.
    Sounds like it was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Good for you. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Braves announced they will increase to 100% capacity starting on their next homestand, just got my second pfizer shot so I may try and see another game on the next home stand

Red Sox scored a total of 3 runs in a 2 game series against the Mets, and won both games.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Red Sox scored a total of 3 runs in a 2 game series against the Mets, and won both games.

-M
    For all the changes being made to favor hitters, it has been nice to see a bunch of series early in the year that are low scoring like this.

But I enjoy pitcher duels and FB/RB power run DEF football games, too ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Degrom's just cursed no matter what year it is, also Lindor's swing is a complete mess.

Ultimate Member

Looks like my Cards won on a wild pitch in the 10th, bad way to lose a game but glad that my Cards won...

Roberto Alomar has been fired by MLB and the Toronto Blue Jays after a sexual misconduct investigation.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Joey Votto hit HR 300 tonight against the Cubs. he becomes the 3 player in Reds history to hit 300 while with the team. (Others have hit more them 300 just Votto hit all 300 with the Reds)
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

My Phillies, despite being shorthanded (no Harper, no Gregorius, no Realmuto) nipped the offensive challenged Mets 2-1 last night.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    My Phillies, despite being shorthanded (no Harper, no Gregorius, no Realmuto) nipped the offensive challenged Mets 2-1 last night.
    How is Harper after taking that shot to the face? Did they say? I was worried when I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    How is Harper after taking that shot to the face? Did they say? I was worried when I saw it.
    He had a CAT scan which revealed no damage, but he's been held out last night and tonight.