Page 21 of 75 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2021 Season

Extraordinary Member

https://www.yahoo.com/news/durham-pi...174000259.html

That's an update on the Durham Bulls, (Rays AAA), pitcher Zombro's condition. Which, though they put on a brave face, doesn't sound good to me. He's still in ICU at Duke, two days later, and needs help to walk. I don't know, but I hope he's okay. And, damn, as I'm typing this, I'm watching the Phillies game, and the Phil's pitcher hit the Nat's batter flush in the face with a fastball as he was squared away to bunt. Blood, and left the game after falling to the ground. Hope he's okay. There's a lot of that going around. It's the trend to guys who can pitch 100 MPH who have little control, combined with the three batter minimum. Which forces managers to leave pitchers in after they've proven to be dangerous. Phil's pitcher had just hit the previous batter.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

'Netting down': Wild collapse, fix in Philly

I've heard of a lot of crazy stuff happening at the ballpark, including the Cardinals Vince Coleman nearly being devoured by a tarp way back in 1985, but this misadventure at Citizens Bank Park yesterday was plenty wild!

By the by, the Phils broke out the bats for a 12-6 over the Nats.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 06-07-2021 at 01:28 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    'Netting down': Wild collapse, fix in Philly

I've heard of a lot of crazy stuff happening at the ballpark, including the Cardinals Vince Coleman nearly being devoured by a tarp way back in 1985, but this misadventure at Citizens Bank Park yesterday was plenty wild!

By the by, the Phils broke out the bats for a 12-6 over the Nats.
    It was fun! Just kicked back with my beer and made bets as to how long it would take. I love baseball!

Extraordinary Member

Weirdly, some people are accusing the Dodger's pitchers of doctoring the ball! Say it aint so! Also weirdly, the game after they were told that MLB was looking at them, they...kind of sucked. Strangely, even Bauer's spin rate has, er, dropped quite a bit. And also strangely, they didn't do as well...

I am puzzled by all that.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Weirdly, some people are accusing the Dodger's pitchers of doctoring the ball! Say it aint so! Also weirdly, the game after they were told that MLB was looking at them, they...kind of sucked. Strangely, even Bauer's spin rate has, er, dropped quite a bit. And also strangely, they didn't do as well...

I am puzzled by all that.
    Funny you should mention that. I read somewhere that Geritt Cole of the Yankees was also accused of having done some hanky-panky with the ball.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Funny you should mention that. I read somewhere that Geritt Cole of the Yankees was also accused of having done some hanky-panky with the ball.
    No! Say it aint so! Not Cole!

Extraordinary Member

It's time for another round of the best MLB game; Pirate's follies! Yes, the funniest team in baseball did it again!

https://sports.yahoo.com/pirates-ke-...002505948.html

What comedy routine will they think of next?

Mudcat Grant, the first black pitcher to win 20 games, has passed away.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Extraordinary Member

Holy! How did he do that? Is that even physically possible? Seriously, I'd love to know how he grips it (4 seam grip?) and then what spin he imparts on it. It just doesn't look physically possible! Was there magic involved? Yes, he's a submariner, but that doesn't account for it. It only starts the movement right next to the plate; if it were just the angle the pitch was delivered from it would be a line going up from the start. And yes, there have been others doing the same thing, but not all submariners, and this was the best example I've ever seen.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tyler-roger...153805491.html

That was the...how exactly does that pitch work? Physicists among us, please explain to me; I really want to know!
    Last edited by achilles; 06-13-2021 at 04:13 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Mudcat Grant, the first black pitcher to win 20 games, has passed away.
    Sad. Great baseball name though! Not as many of those wonderful names that only baseball players should use; which is also something I find sad. I don't think we'll see more 20 game winners in the future, unless the revive the concept of starting pitchers who can and often did go for complete games. I used to love complete games. Not familiar with Grant, but he obviously was very familiar with complete games.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Holy! How did he do that? Is that even physically possible? Seriously, I'd love to know how he grips it (4 seam grip?) and then what spin he imparts on it. It just doesn't look physically possible! Was there magic involved? Yes, he's a submariner, but that doesn't account for it. It only starts the movement right next to the plate; if it were just the angle the pitch was delivered from it would be a line going up from the start. And yes, there have been others doing the same thing, but not all submariners, and this was the best example I've ever seen.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tyler-roger...153805491.html

That was the...how exactly does that pitch work? Physicists among us, please explain to me; I really want to know!
    It is following the same trajectory of a normal slider.

The release location will change which way a ball cuts.

5 - 11 sliders were normal in the knuckleball heydays in the 70s and early 80s.

So it is normal but unseen by modern pitchers.

The crazy part is the speed ... Which will kill his shoulder in the long run. He is heavily overrotating that sucker.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

After three straight walk-off wins for my Phillies, Aaron Nola eliminated any and all drama today with seven plus innings of shutout brilliance in a 7-0 whacking of the Yankees.

The Reds Swept the Brewers that is their 3rd Sweep in 4 series! We are kicking butt right now.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The Diamondbacks have set a modern era (i.e. post-1900) baseball record for consecutive road losses with 23.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    The Diamondbacks have set a modern era (i.e. post-1900) baseball record for consecutive road losses with 23.

-M
    It's good to be the best at something...