Page 22 of 75 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2021 Season

Extraordinary Member

We have three of the most exciting newish players in MLB. Ohtani...20 HR, steals bases, is one of the League's elite pitchers, he's a great ordinary baserunner with top level speed----what can you say about the guy, apart from the fact that he obviously loves the game? There's Vlady Jr., who after losing that weight has turned into the monster hitter everyone said he would be. The man's awesome at the game. And of course, Tattis, Jr. The guy's the consumate showman, and he backs it up. He's Ohtani minus the pitching.

IIRC, Ohtani was the first to sign up for the All-Star game HR derby. Well chosen IMO. Just hope none of them hurt themselves in the derby. Ohtani is being considered IIRC to start the All-Star Game for the AL AND pitch in the inning as well. Might was well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The Reds Swept the Brewers that is their 3rd Sweep in 4 series! We are kicking butt right now.

Well looks like the Padres have put a stop to that.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Rhys Hoskins of my Phillies had himself quite an outing yesterday, hitting two homers and driving home six in 13-6 drubbing of the Giants yesterday. However, there is concern because Aaron Nola, supposedly the ace of the starting staff got an early hook after giving up six runs in just over two innings and has been up and down for over a month now.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Rhys Hoskins of my Phillies had himself quite an outing yesterday, hitting two homers and driving home six in 13-6 drubbing of the Giants yesterday. However, there is concern because Aaron Nola, supposedly the ace of the starting staff got an early hook after giving up six runs in just over two innings and has been up and down for over a month now.
    I saw! It was a great game save for the concerns about Nola. But Rhys Hoskins had himself a game anyone could be proud of. Notice Harper got brushed to the ground? He was NOT a happy camper; and for a second I thought we were going to get a mound charge. But...Harper seemed to think better of it, and did the smart thing and just got up.
    Last edited by achilles; 06-20-2021 at 05:20 AM.

Anybody see the Pirate fan take a homer in his junk? It was last season.

Today is the one year anniversary.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 06-20-2021 at 10:07 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Mighty Member

My Atlanta Braves will probably not make the playoffs this season, but that's ok, still love 'em. I am still gutted they didn't close the deal against the Dodgers last season.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    My Atlanta Braves will probably not make the playoffs this season, but that's ok, still love 'em. I am still gutted they didn't close the deal against the Dodgers last season.
    Well they had some damn good defense against my Reds Last night. Man some of those out field plays!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

My Phillies are trash. End of story. In three games against the Mets this weekend, they blew saves in every damn game, including yesterday's loss where they made Jacob deGrom look human after scoring two runs against him, but the bullpen (plus ninth inning shoddy defense) killed them. Four games under .500 in a weak ass NL East and six games behind the first place Mets, I fear the season is pretty much over for my squad and should consider selling at the trade deadline.

Extraordinary Member

Pretty much over for the Braves I'm afraid; I just don't even see them making the playoffs, or in the unlikely event they do, not getting past the first round. They just can't seem to catch a break, unless it's a femur. Or in this case, their much vaunted pitching prospect who's been injured with an Achilles tear for the last year just re-tore it by...er...walking around the clubhouse.

To be fair, his recovery was tormented by setbacks, but this is the kicker. I'm not sure if the guy's ever going to pitch again now. That on top of losing likely forever one of their top bats from last year and they're toast. Too bad.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    My Phillies are trash. End of story. In three games against the Mets this weekend, they blew saves in every damn game, including yesterday's loss where they made Jacob deGrom look human after scoring two runs against him, but the bullpen (plus ninth inning shoddy defense) killed them. Four games under .500 in a weak ass NL East and six games behind the first place Mets, I fear the season is pretty much over for my squad and should consider selling at the trade deadline.
    At least they're not the Rox or the D-Backs. Or the Mariners. Putting it another way, it could be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Pretty much over for the Braves I'm afraid; I just don't even see them making the playoffs, or in the unlikely event they do, not getting past the first round. They just can't seem to catch a break, unless it's a femur. Or in this case, their much vaunted pitching prospect who's been injured with an Achilles tear for the last year just re-tore it by...er...walking around the clubhouse.

To be fair, his recovery was tormented by setbacks, but this is the kicker. I'm not sure if the guy's ever going to pitch again now. That on top of losing likely forever one of their top bats from last year and they're toast. Too bad.
    at this point I'm starting to think the Braves best best is trying to sell their one year contracts that are performing well like Morton for assets and start looking towards next year. Even with Soroka's disappointing news Kyle Muller is looking to have great upside and like he'll be the next graduating pitcher

Thanks to a masterful performance by Zach Wheeler (7 innings, no runs, 4 hits, 8 K's), my Phillies managed a split against the Mets. However, I'm still frustrated because we could've swept that four game series had the bullpen not collapsed in two of the previous three games. URGH!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    at this point I'm starting to think the Braves best best is trying to sell their one year contracts that are performing well like Morton for assets and start looking towards next year. Even with Soroka's disappointing news Kyle Muller is looking to have great upside and like he'll be the next graduating pitcher
    Maybe. I hope they can rebuild for next year, but this year, I just don't see it happening for them.

Extraordinary Member

So if you've listened to especially radio broadcasts of the game, but also some TV casts, you've heard of the "pitcher throwing up in the bullpen". Well, Angel pitcher Dylan Bundy, who I won't name to spare him embarrassment, thought, "Hell, I can do that!", and did, but on the mound, in front of...whoever goes to Yankee games, and a TV audience. It were heatstroke. I imagine they took him off the mound, back into the air con part of the clubhouse, and gave him some ice or something and he was probably fine. I wonder how that will effect his stats? I wonder what the next pitcher thought and smelled there?

Ah, I can feel for the guy. Also, I sympathize. I often throw up at Angel games too...

As an aside, Ohtani keeps polishing his MVP campaign, becoming the co-leader in MLB in homeruns (26). His WAR if that stat floats your boat, is higher than Vladie's, but it's a tough choice between the two. Right now, I'd give it to Ohtani, mostly because he's also pitching well, and stealing bases and getting bunt singles. Vladdy can do all that except the pitching part.
    Last edited by achilles; 06-29-2021 at 10:32 AM.

Extraordinary Member

So it's about halfway through the season and Ohtani, a PITCHER, is leading the major leagues in HRs, with 28, two more than Vlad Jr. After of course hitting 2 last night in Yankee Stadium, as any pitcher does.