Page 8 of 75 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2021 Season

Those uniforms are embarrassing to say the very least, regardless of what they are honoring.

Sports teams need to go back to the days of TWO uniforms. Home whites and road colors. AND that's it. No more special uniforms. No throwback days. Nothing.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Jeeze guys, they're honoring the victims of the Boston Marathon, not making a permanent change.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Jeeze guys, they're honoring the victims of the Boston Marathon, not making a permanent change.
    They already do that with their Boston Strong Patriot's Day uniforms (looks like a traditional home uni but has Boston instead of Red Sox on the front), which they've worn every Patriot's Day game since the bombing...

The City Connect uniforms are part of a league wide marketing campaign designed to sell extra merchandise beyond the standard unis worn by teams for home and away and are part of the marketing package MLB signed with Nike in 2019. They chose the marathon as a marketing tool, not as a tribute. The Sox made sure proceeds from all sales of the Boston Strong merch went to victim's funds, the proceeds of the Nike unis will go to MLB's general fund and Nike, not to any victim's funds. All things considerd, I think the Red Sox own Boston Strong uniforms are a better tribute to the Marathon bombing victims.

As a point of clarity though-The Red Sox will still wear the Boston Strong uniforms on Patriot's Day this year and all proceeds of those sales still go to victim's funds. The City Connect Uniforms will be worn during the games on the weekend leading up to Patriot's Day (Sat & Sun games).

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Ronald Acuna is scorchingly hot

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Those uniforms are embarrassing to say the very least, regardless of what they are honoring.

Sports teams need to go back to the days of TWO uniforms. Home whites and road colors. AND that's it. No more special uniforms. No throwback days. Nothing.
    Yes, professional sports teams, which exist solely as commercial enterprises, should stop trying to make money by selling merchandise in order to preserve the purity of #OnlyTwoJerseys.

Joe Musgrove just tossed a no-no for the Padres against the Rangers. Not hits no walks, but not a perfect game because he hit a batter.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The first road trip of the season for my Phillies got off to a rocky start with an 8-1 loss in Atlanta last night. Zach Wheeler who held the Braves to just one hit last week didn't make it out of the fifth inning, having given up three runs while walking four; the offense was left behind at the team hotel, only managing one lousy run on just three hits while the bullpen, a strength in the early going had a major hiccup after surrendering five runs. Oh, well, them's the breaks. Back at it tonight.

By the by, congrats to the Fathers for finally notching that first no-hitter in team history.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The first road trip of the season for my Phillies got off to a rocky start with an 8-1 loss in Atlanta last night. Zach Wheeler who held the Braves to just one hit last week didn't make it out of the fifth inning, having given up three runs while walking four; the offense was left behind at the team hotel, only managing one lousy run on just three hits while the bullpen, a strength in the early going had a major hiccup after surrendering five runs. Oh, well, them's the breaks. Back at it tonight.

By the by, congrats to the Fathers for finally notching that first no-hitter in team history.
    Last night was not fun to watch as a Phillies fan. I kept waiting for the offense to wake up.

Extraordinary Member

Thanks guys for the heads up on the Padres no-hitter. I was able to go back and watch a very fine game. Thanks again, guys!

Braves rebound from a 4 game losing streak to start the season with a 4 game winning streak, taking the series against the Phillies, now to see if they can sweep them tomorrow to avenge the opening sweep

Also nice to see the Marlins shutout the Mets while keeping Conforto 0-4 after that crap he pulled and got away with the game before
    Last edited by Hiromi; 04-10-2021 at 09:15 PM.

Jacob deGrom of the Mets must be one of the most luckless pitchers in baseball. Yesterday, he held the Marlins to one run on five hits while striking out 14, yet he STILL lost!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Jacob deGrom of the Mets must be one of the most luckless pitchers in baseball. Yesterday, he held the Marlins to one run on five hits while striking out 14, yet he STILL lost!
    Well, he does play for the Mets.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Well, he does play for the Mets.
    Heh! Point taken!

JD Martinez had a day for the Red Sox-3 HR, making him only one of a handful of players to have hit 3HR in a game for 3 different teams. He also tied MLB marks for most consecutive games played to start the season with an extra base-hit (8) and most extra base hits in his first 8 games (12). To say he is off to a hot start is an understatement, and it's quite a turnaround from his abysmal 2020 season. He is only 2 HR shy of equaling last season's total.

His teammate Rafael Devers is heating up too, adding 2 HR yesterday, making it 4 over his last 3 games.

The Sox got swept by Baltimore in Fenway to start the season, bet have gone 6-0 since, sweeping the Rays and Orioles (in Camden). That doubled their longest winning streak of last season.

The beneficiary of the Sox power surge today was Nick Pivetta, who is now 4-0 with a 2.57 ERA since getting traded to Boston by the Phillies last year. He also made a great play sliding into home to catch and tag a runner after a ball in the dirt got away from Christian Vazquez to nail the runner trying to score from third.

I'm not sure the Sox are really as good as they look right now sitting in first place, but I do think they are definitely improved form last season and have a chance to be in the wild card race at least.

-M

The Phillies avoid a sweep with a 7-6 win on ESPN last night. Rhys Hoskins, Didi Gregorius and Bryce Harper went deep while Alec Bohm scored the game winning run on a close call at home in the ninth that could've gone the other way. Now up: four games in New York against the Mets.