Page 1 of 75 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2021 Season

Ultimate Member

Default MLB 2021 Season

A thread to discuss and debate the upcoming season for Major League Baseball, who do you think will win it all, be terrible, what do you think of the trades that have already happened and what trade or trades should happen. Discuss...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    A thread to discuss and debate the upcoming season for Major League Baseball, who do you think will win it all, be terrible, what do you think of the trades that have already happened and what trade or trades should happen. Discuss...
    Awesome, thanks! I was waiting for someone to start a thread for this one. Good going!

And there's a lot to talk about. Full rosters of course reporting today, and it looks like there's going to be some fans at games this year. Which is great because I badly want to go to a few games. The NL West seems to be the top division with the Dodgers who are and should be heavily favored for the Series. The champs getting the top free agent and best pitcher available, the Cy Young winner, on top of another Cy Young winner, and a guy who always has a shot at that award, plus all their great hitters.

That said, they have to overcome their manager, Dave Roberts' bad habit of overpitching his guys, especially Kershaw, during the season, tiring out their arms by the post season. In other words, they need to prove they can win a season that's almost regular length, (I think they plan on something in the 150s for regular season games.

But....they are facing the Padres, who also made a number of huge commitments to get guys like Yu Darvish and Blake Snell, vastly improving their pitching, while signing perhaps the most exciting player in baseball, Tatis, Jr., to a huge 14 year deal. Which means when his deal is up in 14 years, my local team, the Angels, will sign him to a ten year deal worth $650 million---but only if he fails the physical and hsi numbers stink. Because that's how the Angels roll....

So the NL West will be fun. So will the NL East. Braves still look like the class of that division, but the Phillies and the Mets have made some moves during the offseason to MAYBE challenge them. Don't know, the Mets have a LOT of question marks, among them how Syndergaard shakes out after his injury and surgery. The Braves have mostly the same line-up, resigning their biggest priority. Next year, they've got their work cut out for them as Freddy Freeman is up for grabs. They seem to be making a real run of it, so they absolutely HAVE to resign him.

The Jays also have done a lot of good work and should be fun to watch. The Yanks....same issues as last year, with some upgrades.

Some teams of course have gone to the cost cutting/rebuilding phase. The A's, the Giants, the Rockies, and the D-Backs, among others, have unloaded top talent.

In any event, happy baseball!

Ultimate Member

Well your local team, the Angels also got a cast off from the Cardinals, Dexter Fowler who never lived up to his contract and the fans are glad to see him go. The Cardinals got Arenado from the Rockies for not much, keeping all of their top prospects, and if he sticks around it could be a massive steal for the Cards...compare that to the Cubs who by the middle of the season will probably have traded away half of their stars...if not all of them...

No problem, I just noticed that there wasn't one and asked if I just wasn't seeing it, was told that one didn't exist so I started one, no big deal...

Extraordinary Member

Well your local team, the Angels also got a cast off from the Cardinals, Dexter Fowler who never lived up to his contract and the fans are glad to see him go. The Cardinals got Arenado from the Rockies for not much, keeping all of their top prospects, and if he sticks around it could be a massive steal for the Cards...compare that to the Cubs who by the middle of the season will probably have traded away half of their stars...if not all of them...

No problem, I just noticed that there wasn't one and asked if I just wasn't seeing it, was told that one didn't exist so I started one, no big deal...
    Yeah, the Arenado thing was one of those trades for magic beans and pixie dust that some teams like to make now and then for reasons I can't fathom.

The extra innings rules from last season as well as the double header rules are the same this season. I don't think they've decided on the DH thing yet.

Mariners President/CEO Kevin Mather has resigned after remarks he made at a Rotary Club event earlier this month went public on Sunday concerning the ability of some members of the organization to speak English in a derogatory fashion and that the organization had to waste money employing interpreters, and expressing his opinion that certain players were overpaid causing the club a PR nightmare.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...signs-comments

It also rankled the MLBPA, which already had a lot of animosity with the owners/management going into a CBA negotiation next year...

The Major League Baseball Players Association released a statement Monday calling the video "highly disturbing.''

"The Club's video presentation is a highly disturbing yet critically important window into how Players are genuinely viewed by management. Not just because of what was said, but also because it represents an unfiltered look into Club thinking,'' the statement read. "It is offensive, and it is not surprising that fans and others around the game are offended as well. Players remain committed to confronting these issues at the bargaining table and elsewhere.''
    so that should play well at the bargaining table. It already looked like a work stoppage was highly likely because of the CBA expiring, this is just more fuel on the fire.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 02-22-2021 at 02:59 PM.
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Extraordinary Member

All the same, thanks.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Mariners President/CEO Kevin Mather has resigned after remarks he made at a Rotary Club event earlier this month went public on Sunday concerning the ability of some members of the organization to speak English in a derogatory fashion and that the organization had to waste money employing interpreters, and expressing his opinion that certain players were overpaid causing the club a PR nightmare.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...signs-comments

It also rankled the MLBPA, which already had a lot of animosity with the owners/management going into a CBA negotiation next year...

so that should play well at the bargaining table. It already looked like a work stoppage was highly likely because of the CBA expiring, this is just more fuel on the fire.

-M
    Let's see, players from all over the world, and he's surprised at this? I mean, if I had been able to achieve that dream and maybe gone to play in Korea or Japan....I sure as anything would need a translator. And there would be no shame in that. Unlike him I suppose, I really want to know more languages. If I were him, I'd take the opportunity to LEARN those languages instead of....that.

Extraordinary Member

Well, yesterday was the first day of spring training games.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Looks like fans are being allowed into some parks in Florida, though in limited numbers. Don't know about Arizona.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Looks like fans are being allowed into some parks in Florida, though in limited numbers. Don't know about Arizona.
    Yeah, Dodgers and Angels are letting them in. Ticket prices are sky high, though.

Ultimate Member

Well with all of that high priced talent the money has to come from somewhere...I kid...

With COVID restrictions recently having been eased here in Philadelphia, the Phillies will be allowed to have fans in the park (20 percent capacity) for Opening Day.

Well with all of that high priced talent the money has to come from somewhere...I kid...
    Except ... it is partially true ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Yankees manager Aaron Boone went in the hospital the other day to get a pacemaker, but it's been reported that he's doing well after the surgery.

Meanwhile, his team was bitchslapped 15-0 by the Phillies today. I know, meaningless because it's spring training, however, a curbstomp is still a curbstomp.

Extraordinary Member

And the games are now on TV.