Page 12 of 75 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2021 Season

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Acuna is the only one in MLB with 7 HR. Trout only has 5 as of right now, not sure where you got 7.

-M
    Game yesterday. Don't recall which game. They must have gotten it wrong.

Trout has 6, Acuna still leads the majors there, and about every other major offensive category right now, shame he missed the chance to hit in Yankees park because of the abdominal strain but he should be back in the lineup tommorow

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Trout has 6, Acuna still leads the majors there, and about every other major offensive category right now, shame he missed the chance to hit in Yankees park because of the abdominal strain but he should be back in the lineup tommorow
    They both go to show that it takes more than one or even a few guys to win, no matter if they're great or not. Angels and Braves are still doing badly, despite them and others. I expect the Braves to pick up when they get hot, and the Angels will probably do better with Ohtani back and looking like someone not seen since Babe Ruth, but they probably won't even win their division. Speaking of which, I can't explain Seattle. Every dog has his day? Chance? Loki interfering?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Arizona's Madison Bumgarner threw a no-hitter in the nightcap of a doubleheader against the Braves yesterday. Problem is, it won't count in the record books because it was a COVID created seven inning twinbill and not a regulation nine inning game. Bit of a bummer if you ask me. By the by, in the first game, Zac Gallen held Atlanta to just one hit, so, it was a REAL bad day at the plate for the Braves who ended up swept, blanked and nearly hitless over 14 innings.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...u1lb85lq34ccj7
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 04-26-2021 at 01:15 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

The Colorado Rockies GM Jeff Bridich has stepped down effective immediately.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Extraordinary Member

So the Tattis Jr. thing with the Dodgers turned out to be him stealing signs. That's how he hit those home runs. People were wondering how he knew to reach out like that to hit one. Well, a quick look at the video showed him stealing a glance at the Dodgers catcher's positioning, saw he was leaning to the outside of the plate, and knew. Not, illegal, as Bauer put it, but kind of bush league. Well, at least the getting caught part. Thing is, the Dodgers did nothing at all to even make him uncomfortable. No brushback, not even an close inside pitch. But I don't see that ending well for Tattis Jr. Other teams will take note, and look at him carefully, and if they even think he might be, that hit by pitch might be coming, for as Bauer put it, there's also no rule that says he can't put a fastball in the ribs if you do. Probably not true is my feeling, after all, you get tossed and suspended for intentionally hitting someone, but still...

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    So the Tattis Jr. thing with the Dodgers turned out to be him stealing signs. That's how he hit those home runs. People were wondering how he knew to reach out like that to hit one. Well, a quick look at the video showed him stealing a glance at the Dodgers catcher's positioning, saw he was leaning to the outside of the plate, and knew. Not, illegal, as Bauer put it, but kind of bush league. Well, at least the getting caught part. Thing is, the Dodgers did nothing at all to even make him uncomfortable. No brushback, not even an close inside pitch. But I don't see that ending well for Tattis Jr. Other teams will take note, and look at him carefully, and if they even think he might be, that hit by pitch might be coming, for as Bauer put it, there's also no rule that says he can't put a fastball in the ribs if you do. Probably not true is my feeling, after all, you get tossed and suspended for intentionally hitting someone, but still...
    The "bush league" thing would be hitting Tatis Jr. If teams are stupid enough to let players steal their signs, then they deserve to get whacked.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The "bush league" thing would be hitting Tatis Jr. If teams are stupid enough to let players steal their signs, then they deserve to get whacked.
    Would it be, sure. But I can see it happening. And yes, it's on the Dodgers to maybe think about hiding them better.

There is however a far more important and disturbing story out now; Dodger Dogs are now history. Or rather Farmer John isn't going to make them anymore after many decades. Evidently, they're taking the recipe with them, and the Dodgers want another contractor to try and duplicate it. Probably won't succeed. A terrible disaster, IMO.
    Last edited by achilles; 04-26-2021 at 05:48 PM.

I am not looking forward to tonight. After a hot 6- start My Reds are now 9-12. I got fooled by the hot start but they are who they have been the last few seasons. And the perfect time to break a 7 game skid is a a 3 game set vs The Dodgers in LA. Were doomed!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Would it be, sure. But I can see it happening. And yes, it's on the Dodgers to maybe think about hiding them better.

There is however a far more important and disturbing story out now; Dodger Dogs are now history. Or rather Farmer John isn't going to make them anymore after many decades. Evidently, they're taking the recipe with them, and the Dodgers want another contractor to try and duplicate it. Probably won't succeed. A terrible disaster, IMO.
    Bauer was trying to beat him outside the whole at bat.

Maybe switch your pitches up a bit so you don't get rocked?

There is no way Tatis saw the sign. He might have seen the leg tap or the shoulder shift but it was not hard to guess Bauer was going outside again.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

There is no way Tatis saw the sign. He might have seen the leg tap or the shoulder shift but it was not hard to guess Bauer was going outside again.
    I'm guessing he just looked at the catcher's shift in stance. In fact, that's what they claimed. So....yeah, sign stealing itself wasn't the issue. And yeah, wonder why the Dodgers didn't do what anyone with half a brain would---just adapt. I have to say, I don't like how the Dodgers play. They do have an actual hitting strategy, but they mismanage pitchers, they too often seem to be asleep on defense and on the base paths, and sometimes just don't put in the effort. Not the pitching staff, they always seem to try even when they get rocked. But the position players, (save for Mookie who never seems to give it anything less than 100%), often seem to not give too much effort up in their play. I see an opening, probably for the Padres.

for all Bauer's showboating he's a fantastic sport about hitters getting the better of him and doing it right back to him, wish more pitchers in the league where like that, but the stealing signs things is part of the game provided the player is doing it themselves and not being aided by a team coordinated possibly with technology thing like what the Astros were doing. It's just like a pitcher tipping his pitches

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

Yep. There's a video breakdown which clearly shows that his eyes are not on the catcher when the sign is down. At best, he saw the catcher shift outside, but the ball placement was in the exact same place every pitch of that at bat.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Yep. There's a video breakdown which clearly shows that his eyes are not on the catcher when the sign is down. At best, he saw the catcher shift outside, but the ball placement was in the exact same place every pitch of that at bat.
    Which is all well and good, but he's not exactly denying it. Responsibility is on the Dodgers for not looking out for things like that. I see the Dodgers failing like that a lot; they just don't seem to care about doing things well there. Fact is its perfectly legal to do what Tattis Jr did, and they should have caught him at it and simply said nothing and change the signs to try and trip him up. The Dodgers just get very sloppy some times.

Extraordinary Member

Funny thing is that history is being made at a team that is going to go nowhere, the Angels. Ohtani's game yesterday was.....just historic. Ohtani became the first home run leader, (yes, he is a co-leader, staggeringly), since Babe Ruth in 1921 to be the starting pitcher, (he struck out 9, scored three runs and drove in two runs, and won 9-4---but who cares about the win in a game between the Angels and Rangers). That guy is staggering. Hope he remains uninjured this time.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ohtani-wi...032057397.html