Page 16 of 75 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2021 Season

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Not to mentions the Dodgers signed him for league minimum while the Angels are on hook for $30,000,000. So you get some power still, a future HoFer first ballot, his farewell tour, bobbleheads and whatnot.
    However, you gotta wonder just how feeble/ineffective Pujols had become if the Angels were willing to eat $30 million, just to show him the door?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    However, you gotta wonder just how feeble/ineffective Pujols had become if the Angels were willing to eat $30 million, just to show him the door?
    Well, yes, but if you're familiar with the Angels----they love to get over the hill stars at times. But the $30 million might have had to do with some other reason than just showing him the door.

Well, yes, but if you're familiar with the Angels----they love to get over the hill stars at times. But the $30 million might have had to do with some other reason than just showing him the door.
    I forget who owns the Angels, but he couldn't have been happy at having flushed that much cash down the toilet to get rid of Pujols.

Extraordinary Member

Dodgers are toast. Seager is out with a broken hand. Four others are out for the season.

Extraordinary Member

I forget who owns the Angels, but he couldn't have been happy at having flushed that much cash down the toilet to get rid of Pujols.
    Arte Moreno owns them. If they'd just sprung for one more good starting pitcher and a couple of very good bullpen guys including both a long reliever and a closer. Then they'd have challenged for the AL West.

Extraordinary Member

Well, Pujols has spoken, and said he has no problems with not being a day to day player....I don't know what the Angels were thinking, apart from pissing off the rest of their players and many fans. They're on the hook for that $30 million while the Dodgers get him from around half a million.

Trout meanwhile has some sort of calf injury. I've had one and they can be slow to heal and painful as it apparently was for him too. Get well soon Mike.

Meanwhile, what more can you say about Ohtani....He's been hitting them out like he was Babe Ruth and pitching like...one of the better pitchers in the game. And he's a pretty good base stealer.

Extraordinary Member

There are times when the stadium goes quiet. These are never good. Kevin Pillar took a 94 miles per hour in the eye. He collapsed as you'd expect, but was able to walk off under his own power. Don't know how long he'll be out. Get well soon.

Rennie Stennett, who won two World Series championships with the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 1970's, has passed away.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Spencer Turnbull of Detroit pitched the fifth no-hitter of the season, blanking Seattle 5-0 last night, and it's only late May. WHOA!
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 05-19-2021 at 03:55 AM.

So Trout has a grade 2 calf strain and will miss 6-8 weeks. He said he thought he had torn his Achilles, so this is much less serious than he feared, but will still cause him to lose 2 months.

Meanwhile we seem to be featuring player manager riffs this week, fist it was the Phillies with Segura and Girardi and now it's the White Sox and old man LaRussa and rookie Yermin Mercedes (over swinging at a 3-0 pitch that was a 47 mph meatball from a position player while the Sox were up by a bunch late in the game that resulted in a home run).

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    So Trout has a grade 2 calf strain and will miss 6-8 weeks. He said he thought he had torn his Achilles, so this is much less serious than he feared, but will still cause him to lose 2 months.

Meanwhile we seem to be featuring player manager riffs this week, fist it was the Phillies with Segura and Girardi and now it's the White Sox and old man LaRussa and rookie Yermin Mercedes (over swinging at a 3-0 pitch that was a 47 mph meatball from a position player while the Sox were up by a bunch late in the game that resulted in a home run).

-M
    I get the whole thing about the "unwritten rules" of baseball but Tony LaRussa has shown with his comments that he has no business managing a team. He's a joke now.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I find it absolutely hilarious that the "stop being offended by everything and get tough" old timers are the ones getting offended by everything.

Baseball boomers are ruining the game.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post

-M
    I'm 62, but I can't stand all that old school "unwritten rules" bullshit. The idea is to play hard until all 27 outs have been recorded, damn the score, not let up because you're up big and a position player form the opposing team lobs an eephus that begs to be knocked into next week. LaRussa is a neanderthal who has no business in today's game.

Extraordinary Member

I'm 62, but I can't stand all that old school "unwritten rules" bullshit. The idea is to play hard until all 27 outs have been recorded, damn the score, not let up because you're up big and a position player form the opposing team lobs an eephus that begs to be knocked into next week. LaRussa is a neanderthal who has no business in today's game.
    Absolutely. That hitter was hitting a pitch from the....catcher! It topped out at 45 miles an hour. Tell me, who is going to pass a gift like that up. Plus, LaRussa seems to have forgotten that these guys get paid on their stats; I get a free HR, I'm taking it, and if your team doesn't like it, Tony, GET BETTER!

Absolutely. That hitter was hitting a pitch from the....catcher! It topped out at 45 miles an hour. Tell me, who is going to pass a gift like that up. Plus, LaRussa seems to have forgotten that these guys get paid on their stats; I get a free HR, I'm taking it, and if your team doesn't like it, Tony, GET BETTER!
    It was LaRussa's team that hit the home run and he had given the hitter a take sign and was on the edge of the dug out screaming take, take, take to the batter who swung anyways. As "out of touch" everyone is claiming LaRussa is, he has lead the ChiSox to the best record in the AL so far (and tied for best in the majors). I agree the unwritten rules of baseball are outdated and just plain stupid, but when your manager gives you a sign and you choose to ignore it, you are not playing team baseball and you are undermining the clubhouse and the chemistry of a winning team. For me, it's not about the unwritten rules, it's about a rookie thinking he knows better than the manager of his team.

From what I understand, someone on the Twins threw behind Mercedes today. Considering what just happened with Pillar getting hit in the face with a mid 90s fastball and having multiple facial fractures causing him to miss time (and let's not forget Tony Conigliaro whose career was ended by a HBP to the face), doing something you know is going to result in you or one of your teammates getting thrown at is pure stupidity and selfishness. The unwritten rules are stupid, but that doesn't mean doing something like Mercedes did isn't going to get your team thrown at the next day. In that sense, I get why LaRussa was upset-a rookie missed a sign and put his teammates in potential danger the next day because he wanted to swing at a 3-0 pitch and pad his stats in a blowout. Mercedes won't get paid for stats he doesn't get while on the IL because he got hurt when he gets thrown at...

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato