Page 15 of 75 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2021 Season

Well he won't retire because he still has 30 million in guaranteed money owed to him so long as he stays active, but I can't see a bunch of teams lined up to pay him whatever the pro rated rate would be for that given his decline over the last half decade or so, thus I wouldn't be surprised if the Angels still have to pay him

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    It was weird IMO; he's still got it, and the Angels don't have so much they can afford to just give it away. I can see other teams being interested.
    any team that picks him up after he clears waivers would have to pay the pro rated amount of his 30 mil for whatever's left of the season, if he does get picked up doubt it happens until towards the end of the season

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I saw that they actually DFA'd him a few minutes after I posted about the reports I saw. so it's official now. I wonder if another AL team will take a flyer on him for his power potential (he has 5 HR already this season) as a DH or bench player or if he even wants to sign with another team. I doubt an NL team will bite though.

-M
    Highly unlikely any NL team would kick the tires on Pujols as his days playing first base are pretty much over. At best, he'd be nothing more than a bench bat in the Senior Circuit.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Just two days after John Means pitched a no-hitter for Baltimore, Wade Miley of the Reds did likewise:

https://www.mlb.com/news/wade-miley-...ter-vs-indians

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Highly unlikely any NL team would kick the tires on Pujols as his days playing first base are pretty much over. At best, he'd be nothing more than a bench bat in the Senior Circuit.
    Well, another team can pick him up for the League minimum of around $570,500, leaving the Angels with the rest of his $30,000000. He's cracked 5 HRs this season so far, he is much loved with the Angels' fans, and he had a potentially lucrative farewell tour and more merch.

Plus, he was much beloved by his teammates, especially Trout, who was very upset, not just at the release, but how he, (Trout), found out about it.

If I were the Angels, I would have moved Heaven and Earth to persuade him that I'd give him the very best send-off possible, and give him as much play as possible, (whilst trying to get him to take a day or so off every few games. May not work, but I don't get the impression the Angels tried very hard to keep him.

Let's face it, the Angels are going nowhere, and everyone knows it. Letting one of the greatest baseball players of all time, and one loved by Angel fans just play out his year wouldn't really have hurt them since they were never going anywhere. And...let's face it, the Angels are saddled with players who lose far more games than Albert. In fact, I can't recall a game in which I can trace a loss to him. But I can put that on some other Angel players.

And to cap it off, he's one of my all time favorite players, I just really like that guy, much like I really like David Ortiz and Freddy Freeman, (you can tell I'm not having a good baseball time, with one long retired and nearly murdered, one given great disrespect IMO, and one....doing terrible after the MVP season.

Extraordinary Member

Ohtani, what can you say about him? Pitched 1 walk, 10Ks, 1 run....for 7 innings. Then....Maddon moved him to right field to keep his bat. Ohtani was fine with that, though Trout called the shots as to who got the ball.

He's a truly special player. Oh....and an amusing thing about him.....if you watch the Japanese network NHK, (don't worry, they broadcast in English and dozens of other languages and is interesting in it's own right for coverage of subjects we simply don't get in Western media), they often cover his exploits----they're justly proud of him. Hell, I am proud of the man.

Reds going back to full cap on June 2nd.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Well he won't retire because he still has 30 million in guaranteed money owed to him so long as he stays active, but I can't see a bunch of teams lined up to pay him whatever the pro rated rate would be for that given his decline over the last half decade or so, thus I wouldn't be surprised if the Angels still have to pay him

any team that picks him up after he clears waivers would have to pay the pro rated amount of his 30 mil for whatever's left of the season, if he does get picked up doubt it happens until towards the end of the season
    Apparently, that's the kicker; the Angels have to pay his around $30 million or so, while whoever picks him up, if they do, only have to pay around $500,000.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Reds going back to full cap on June 2nd.
    My Phillies go full attendance on June 12th, just in time to welcome the Yankees to town for interleague play.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    My Phillies go full attendance on June 12th, just in time to welcome the Yankees to town for interleague play.
    I would love to be there for that. Cant stand the Yankees.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I would love to be there for that. Cant stand the Yankees.
    There would be plenty of irony because the Bombers would be facing Joe Girardi in the home team dugout, the manager who led them to their last World Series title WAY back in 2009.

Red Sox look like they found gold among the Phillies detritus as they have found the magic formula to resurrect Nick Pivetta's career. The coaching staff must have found something working with Pivetta in the extended camps last season due to the lack of a minor league season as he has been their most consistent starter since his call up at the end of last season and almost lights out. He is 7-0 with an ERA near 3 since the end of last season (5-0 3.16 ERA this season), and turned in another quality start tonight (though the bullpen coughed up the lead before the Sox bats fueled a comeback against the Angels coasting him another W). The irony in the trade is that the main piece the Phillies got in the trade, Brandon Workman, was terrible after the trade, got released, signed with the Cubbies, got released, and is now back with the Sox on a minor league deal working in extended spring training to regain his form and maybe contribute to the Sox pen later in the season.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I love that the Reds Super Power is to make any team look like they are full of Power hitters and Cy Young Pitcers!

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Apparently, that's the kicker; the Angels have to pay his around $30 million or so, while whoever picks him up, if they do, only have to pay around $500,000.
    honestly I'm hoping the Cardinals sign him, would be nice if he got to finish his career in St Louis, reportedly there is some interest

Edit: Welp apparently it's the Dodgers, honestly don't really understand this move unless it's purely a ring chase, he's listed as like 4th on the 1st basemen depth chart
    Last edited by Hiromi; 05-15-2021 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    honestly I'm hoping the Cardinals sign him, would be nice if he got to finish his career in St Louis, reportedly there is some interest

Edit: Welp apparently it's the Dodgers, honestly don't really understand this move unless it's purely a ring chase, he's listed as like 4th on the 1st basemen depth chart
    Well it also means he gets to finish the season without having to move or relocate his family since he is already in LA. So go to a contender, get paid, and not have to deal with a lot of the hassles that usually come with changing teams. Plus the Dodgers have been wracked with injuries which will give Pujols more playing time, and the Dodgers are in desperate need of a right handed hitting help as their OPS is 136 points lower against left handed pitching than right handers, so Pujols fits that need as well. I wouldn't have guessed the Ddgers as the team to sign him, but when you look at the specifics of the Dodger situation, it does make sense for both them and Pujols.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Well it also means he gets to finish the season without having to move or relocate his family since he is already in LA. So go to a contender, get paid, and not have to deal with a lot of the hassles that usually come with changing teams. Plus the Dodgers have been wracked with injuries which will give Pujols more playing time, and the Dodgers are in desperate need of a right handed hitting help as their OPS is 136 points lower against left handed pitching than right handers, so Pujols fits that need as well. I wouldn't have guessed the Dodgers as the team to sign him, but when you look at the specifics of the Dodger situation, it does make sense for both them and Pujols.

-M
    Not to mentions the Dodgers signed him for league minimum while the Angels are on hook for $30,000,000. So you get some power still, a future HoFer first ballot, his farewell tour, bobbleheads and whatnot.