Page 52 of 75 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2021 Season

Not off to a good start for us. Down 0-2.

What a game, Wheeler is excellent, but Morton is even better, and a typical Will Smith “save,” but that is exactly what AA signed Morton to do, and now the Braves have a magic number of 3 and the division win is within spitting distance

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    What a game, Wheeler is excellent, but Morton is even better, and a typical Will Smith “save,” but that is exactly what AA signed Morton to do, and now the Braves have a magic number of 3 and the division win is within spitting distance
    I fear my Phillies are just about out of time as they have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. One more loss and it's ten straight years without a playoff appearance. What irks me is that we had Morton here a few years ago and he stunk on wheat. Frustrating!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Regardless of what you think of the result, it was a masterful game, a joy to watch. Two fine pitchers pitching great games each, for high stakes; it was great. It does look grim for the Phillies now, but they can still pull it off. But it's crunch time, and they have to win. That said, the Braves have proven to be able to throw away a win this year, so anything can happen.

On the Braves note, it looks like other teams will be disappointed; Freddy Freeman seems likely to resign with the Braves in the off-season if they make him anything like a realistic offer. He really, really wants to play his entire career with the Braves, (curiously, he lives not too far from me, perhaps a thirty minute drive away in SoCal during the off-season). I can respect that, (it'd be hard for him not to love a team that gave him the opportunity to receive his MVP last season from Hank Aaron himself! How cool must that have been? So...much as I'd love to see him as an Angel or Dodger, (they'd find something for Muncy to do), I respect him even more if he does stay.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Regardless of what you think of the result, it was a masterful game, a joy to watch. Two fine pitchers pitching great games each, for high stakes; it was great. It does look grim for the Phillies now, but they can still pull it off. But it's crunch time, and they have to win. That said, the Braves have proven to be able to throw away a win this year, so anything can happen.

On the Braves note, it looks like other teams will be disappointed; Freddy Freeman seems likely to resign with the Braves in the off-season if they make him anything like a realistic offer. He really, really wants to play his entire career with the Braves, (curiously, he lives not too far from me, perhaps a thirty minute drive away in SoCal during the off-season). I can respect that, (it'd be hard for him not to love a team that gave him the opportunity to receive his MVP last season from Hank Aaron himself! How cool must that have been? So...much as I'd love to see him as an Angel or Dodger, (they'd find something for Muncy to do), I respect him even more if he does stay.
    Well, with Freeman currently batting .300 with 31 HR's and 82 RBI's, he might well repeat as NL MVP if the Braves hold on to win the East.

Red Sox lost again...to the Orioles of all teams. Pathetic.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Fried tossed another great game, Braves offense finally broke through and beat up on the Phillies bullpen, result is the magic number is down to one. Braves now have a chance to bookend their season by sweeping the Phillies tomorrow, both clenching the division and avenging the opening series when the Phillies swept them in Philly. Big thing is they have utterly dominated Harper, he’s 0-7 with five strikeouts in the series
    Last edited by Hiromi; 09-29-2021 at 08:37 PM.

Fried tossed another great game, Braves offense finally broke through and beat up on the Phillies bullpen, result is the magic number is down to one. Braves now have a chance to bookend their season by sweeping the Phillies tomorrow, both clenching the division and avenging the opening series when the Phillies swept them in Philly. Big thing is they have utterly dominated Harper, he’s 0-7 with five strikeouts in the series
    Regarding the Phillies' playoff chances:

Ultimate Member

Well the Cardinals are in the playoffs and Arenado will be back next year, hopefully the front office will actually improve the team in the offseason...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well, with Freeman currently batting .300 with 31 HR's and 82 RBI's, he might well repeat as NL MVP if the Braves hold on to win the East.
    I think his RBIs will drag him down in the voting. Three of his teammates IIRC have over 100, and there's only a few others in MLB with that kind of stat; if he'd had over 100 RBIs I'd see his chances being greater. I still like Harper for MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Well the Cardinals are in the playoffs and Arenado will be back next year, hopefully the front office will actually improve the team in the offseason...
    I hate the Cardinals. I would have loved to see My Reds in that spot. But the combo of The Reds forgetting how to play Baseball the last 2 months of the season (A trend for the Reds) and The Cards winning a hundred games in a row it was just not going to happen.

Not even too upset that The Reds didnt make it because they would not have won the Wildcard game and would have looked bad like they did against the Braves last year. But damn anyone but the Cards. I was really pulling for The Phillies to get that spot. I hate the Cardinals more then pretty much any team in baseball!!!!!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I hate the Cardinals. I would have loved to see My Reds in that spot. But the combo of The Reds forgetting how to play Baseball the last 2 months of the season (A trend for the Reds) and The Cards winning a hundred games in a row it was just not going to happen.

Not even too upset that The Reds didnt make it because they would not have won the Wildcard game and would have looked bad like they did against the Braves last year. But damn anyone but the Cards. I was really pulling for The Phillies to get that spot. I hate the Cardinals more then pretty much any team in baseball!!!!!
    I think the Cards were something like seven or eight games off the pace for the second wild card when they went on that insane 17 game win streak that was finally snapped last night. I'm no fan of St. Louis either, but the rest of the NL playoff teams had better be wary, because the Cards are bound to be a tough out for whoever they face.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Regarding the Phillies' playoff chances:

What a bummer.

Extraordinary Member

Well, to use Yogi Berra's words, "the fat lady has sung" for the Phillies, congrats to the Braves for their 4th straight NL East title. Sad for the Phillies though. Especially guys like Harper and Realmuto. While Harper was 0 for this series, he was great especially after the break. Will Smith decided to ditch the excitement in favor of an 8 pitch 9th, all strikes, with two Ks. Freeman got nailed but good, right in the nerve behind the elbow. He stayed in and seems fine. But it took a few before he walked to first. 5-3 Braves, BTW.

As for the Phillies, hopefully everyone on their line-up will be healed by then, or at least most of them. I truly think that if everything goes their way, and if they do something to fix their weaknesses, they can be the ones next year.

It’s honestly hard to believe that the Braves pulled it off, it was only a relatively short while ago they were 7 games out without having been over .500 all year, after losing Acuna, Ozuna, and Soroka for the year and having been written off by near everyone. Anthopolus deserves major consideration for executive of the year after the moves he made at the deadline.