Page 18 of 75 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2021 Season

Extraordinary Member

Ah, Braves/Pirates! It got so bad Acuna Jr. tried to bat switchty, till the manager nixed the idea. Of course he was facing....I think it was the Pirates' SS. And they became the first team to hit two grand slams and IIRC 7 HRs overall. 20-1 was the final. Poor Pirates must have felt like that single A team that had to face deGrom.

Braves needed that blowout desperately, a lot of slumping hitters teed off last night while Ian Anderson is really looking like a strong roty candidate. Also I don't know how much press he's getting but Austin Riley has quietly turned into one of the better hitters in the league, he's currently slashing .310/.410./.503 with 7 home runs and amassed a respectable 1.3 WAR, it's really nice to see him finally put everything together and start living up to the potential he displayed in the minors

Extraordinary Member

Tatits Jr got the "swag chain" twice last night! Once for his solo shot in the first IIRC, and the second for his later slam. The swag chain made its debut the night before, apparently cooked up by Tatis and Machado, and made by the jeweler to the Kardashians....think Flav's clock meeting John Cena's spinner belt and you've got the idea. Sheer genius if you ask me. Gotta love those now thanks to the Dodger first place Padres, (the Dodgers are now in second after beating all over the Giants, who went from first to third).

Braves are coming on. Mariners are back to their usual standard, basically none.

God, how can a team be so potentially interesting, and yet so pathetic as the Angels? They've got the most interesting player in baseball in decades, probably the best player in baseball, they have a guy who is a certain first ballot HOFer....oh, wait, the DFAed him to the Dodgers, where he's gotten all better, having a hit or RBI in every game he's played for the Dodgers so far. But the Angels also have the worst pitching staff in MLB. Fortunately, it gets worse, as they also have the worst defense in MLB. with their supposed best ever defensive shortstop going error after error. Honestly, if it wasn't for Ohtani, they'd be stuffed. The Mariners have the worst offense in MLB BTW, as a team batting under Mendoza.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

So... Those Local Market hats existed, huh?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    So... Those Local Market hats existed, huh?
    Yeah, but not for long. I've heard that the backlash was so tremendous, the hats were removed from MLB's website.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Yeah, but not for long. I've heard that the backlash was so tremendous, the hats were removed from MLB's website.
    When they're that ugly and creatively bankrupt, of course they should have been removed from market.

The Reds' hat, for example, had what looked like a bowl of chili with a red pepper on it. Cincinnati chili is a meat sauce made by North Macedonian immigrants that is savory with a hint of sweetness and should never be viewed as "spicy".

When they're that ugly and creatively bankrupt, of course they should have been removed from market.

The Reds' hat, for example, had what looked like a bowl of chili with a red pepper on it. Cincinnati chili is a meat sauce made by North Macedonian immigrants that is savory with a hint of sweetness and should never be viewed as "spicy".
    The Phillies hat had the Liberty Bell on the left side of the logo and, predictably, a cheesesteak on the back. Revolting.

Extraordinary Member

Oh noes, Harper is back on the 10 day DL, (I refuse to call it the "IL", I'm old fashioned when it comes to BB). Phillies seem snakebit with those injuries. Thought something was wrong.

Wonder what the Angels hat looked like...can't seem to find an image...

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Oh noes, Harper is back on the 10 day DL, (I refuse to call it the "IL", I'm old fashioned when it comes to BB). Phillies seem snakebit with those injuries. Thought something was wrong.

Wonder what the Angels hat looked like...can't seem to find an image...
    One area code (not even the 949) compared to 9 for the Dodgers, a palm tree... And a taco.

Four out of five California teams had tacos. Heck, they shared everything. Only San Francisco had different bric-a-brac.
    Last edited by GindyPosts; 05-26-2021 at 02:17 PM.

Extraordinary Member

One area code (not even the 949) compared to 9 for the Dodgers, a palm tree... And a taco.

Four out of five California teams had tacos. Heck, they shared everything. Only San Francisco had different bric-a-brac.
    Heh, sounds awful! Sad, the Jays are leaving Dunedin for upstate NY. It was a beautiful ballpark, though I suspect it soon would have gotten a bit muggy for a non-domed stadium.

Taco, huh?

Extraordinary Member

And Ozuna's out for the Braves for 6-8 weeks with broken fingers. Ouch, I saw it happen, he brushed his hand across the third baseman's shoes, catching it. Bad luck.

Also saw me a steal of home the other day, on a double delayed steal by that Korean Leagues guy the Padres got initiating stealing second, with a runner on third. As the catcher threw to second, he ignored the runner on third. BIG MISTAKE! I see like one of those every two to three seasons. I see more no-hitters and inside the park HRs than steals of home. If you ask me, that's the sort of thing baseball needs more of, not just swing hard and either strike out or hit an HR.

Going into the 2021 season, it looked like NL East was going to be one of the best divisions in baseball. With June right around the corner, that claim has so far been anything but true. Here's the standings after last night's games:

New York Mets: 22-20
    Atlanta: 24-25
    Miami: 24-25
    Philadelphia: 24-26
    Washington: 20-24

While just about every team in the division has been hit hard by injuries, the teams, all possessing considerable talent on their rosters haven't played up to their potential, and that includes my Phillies who have one of THE worst defenses in baseball.

Extraordinary Member

Yep, injuries have been a problem, not just in the NL East, but across MLB. The Dodgers for example have been getting it done without Bellinger and some others at various times. And some pitcher broke his hand "aggressively taking his shirt off". Sounds like a joke, but I tore some ligaments in my hand just making a bed. Yeah, got my fingers caught and twisted...very easy to break something or tear something. Was in a cast for months, the thing just didn't want to heal. Which was why I winced when I saw Ozuna break those fingers. As for that pitcher, I don't know who he is, or which team he plays for, but he has my sympathy.

Extraordinary Member

Bwa-ha-ha! Sorry, couldn't stop laughing at the play below; my personal nominee for greatest/weirdest play ever in baseball!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/javy-ba...174849767.html

Watch the play first, then read the description. I'm...not sure how he did that. Magic, as per his name, I suppose. But...seriously, how did NONE of the Pirates SEE that?

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Bwa-ha-ha! Sorry, couldn't stop laughing at the play below; my personal nominee for greatest/weirdest play ever in baseball!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/javy-ba...174849767.html

Watch the play first, then read the description. I'm...not sure how he did that. Magic, as per his name, I suppose. But...seriously, how did NONE of the Pirates SEE that?

Because they are the Pirates!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.