Page 46 of 75 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2021 Season

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

After scoring all of nine runs in three games against the bottom feeding Marlins over the weekend, my Phillies blasted NL Central leading Milwaukee 12-0 this afternoon. Zach Wheeler threw six strong innings and Jean Segura smashed a grand slam in a seven run eighth to put the game away. Remarkable.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Tampa was down 7-1 to Boston after three innings, but came back to win 11-10 in 10 innings.

It's good for a team to be exceedingly good at something. For my Phillies, it's blowing saves as last night night, they coughed up their major league leading 30th ninth inning lead in losing 4-3 to Colorado last night, and combined with an Atlanta win against Washington and the Braves now lead NL Least by 3.5 games. Back to the Phumblin' Phils, if they safely converted just a third of those blown saves, they'd be leading the division, perhaps comfortably to boot. Damned frustrating! Here's something else posters here might not be aware of, baseball is pretty big over in England, and the most followers on Twitter for any one team is, amazingly enough, for the Phils, and one fan I know who lives, eats and sleeps Phillies was up until almost three a.m. (England time) watching that clusterfuck. I feel so sorry for him because he's yet to see my team in the postseason, and god only knows if that'll happen this year.

Chris Sale of the Boston Red Sox just tested positive for Covid. This team is just screwed up and down left and right.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Extraordinary Member

Ah, but now place your bets so to speak as to which team wins the coveted "Worst Team In MLB" title this season? And will it also win the all time record for losing?

Trever Bauer is now done for the season.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

On Monday, my Phillies routed NL Central leading Milwaukee 12-0. In the four games that followed, including last night, they've scored just eight runs, all losses by the way, punctuated by an 11-2 curbstomping at the hands of Colorado last night on our home diamond. Combined with a win by Atlanta, the Phils are 4.5 games behind the Braves and just half a game ahead of the Mets. URGH!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    On Monday, my Phillies routed NL Central leading Milwaukee 12-0. In the four games that followed, including last night, they've scored just eight runs, all losses by the way, punctuated by an 11-2 curbstomping at the hands of Colorado last night on our home diamond. Combined with a win by Atlanta, the Phils are 4.5 games behind the Braves and just half a game ahead of the Mets. URGH!
    I look at the Phillies and I see a team I very much like. I love their line-up....but yeah, definite underperformance. Much like the Braves, who are somewhat past that phase. Sometimes. I also like much of the Mets line up. Again, underperforming. Actually, I like all three of the NL East contenders. I'd prefer to see them all play brilliantly.

Freeman over at the Braves showed me again why he's perhaps my favorite player when he was HBP in one of those get back things. After having it thrown behind his head. He handled it as well as I've ever seen. He just talked to the other team's HBP victim from the previous game, Soto, and calmly told him he understood the first one; it's part of the game, but he'd like to not see another one, or that would cross the line. That's what he said basically, calmly and pleasantly.

Last night was just awful. Awful. They looked like a team that completely gave up after being down 0-3.

They lost by 9 damn runs to a team I Thought could not win on the road. I thought they were taking 3 out of 4. Ugh!

I will say these bullpen games every 5th day are no help!

Quote Originally Posted by mikedesil View Post
    Last night was just awful. Awful. They looked like a team that completely gave up after being down 0-3.

They lost by 9 damn runs to a team I Thought could not win on the road. I thought they were taking 3 out of 4. Ugh!

I will say these bullpen games every 5th day are no help!
    It’s not like Joe Girardi has any sort of choice. He went into the season with only three legitimate starters, one’s seemingly gone south (Nola) while another went on the IR (Eflin), and the dreck that’s followed in the four and five slots (Matt Moore, Chase Anderson and others) simply haven't been up to par. As for last night, yeah, it sure looked like the team ran up the white flag after going down early, distressing. The Orioles, closing in on 100 losses will be in town this coming week, screwing up against them will lead to lots of E-A-G-L-E-S chants from disgruntled fans in the seats.

My Reds play the Cardinals in a 3 games set starting last night. They took game one last night but who knows about the other two games as streaky and awful as they have been.

The funny thing is that last Wild Card spot in the NL is up for grabs. All some team has to do is take it! But the Padres, Reds, Phillies, Cardinals and Mets who all are in the race and have a somewhat legit shot at it are all so damn scared of winning 2 or 3 in a row that it will be up for grabs I think until the last 2 or 3 games of the season.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

It’s not like Joe Girardi has any sort of choice. He went into the season with only three legitimate starters, one’s seemingly gone south (Nola) while another went on the IR (Eflin), and the dreck that’s followed in the four and five slots (Matt Moore, Chase Anderson and others) simply haven't been up to par. As for last night, yeah, it sure looked like the team ran up the white flag after going down early, distressing. The Orioles, closing in on 100 losses will be in town this coming week, screwing up against them will lead to lots of E-A-G-L-E-S chants from disgruntled fans in the seats.
    Oh your absolutely right that Girardi has no choice in what to do now. It's ridiculous we had Moore and Anderson as our 4th and 5th starters. We had to Once again go to Vinny V which always ends badly. And yes EAGLES chants will be heard.

Quote Originally Posted by mikedesil View Post
    Oh your absolutely right that Girardi has no choice in what to do now. It's ridiculous we had Moore and Anderson as our 4th and 5th starters. We had to Once again go to Vinny V which always ends badly. And yes EAGLES chants will be heard.
    Why Eagles chats? is that a Philly in joke about the football team?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Why Eagles chats? is that a Philly in joke about the football team?
    Honestly I think it's because it's a hardcore football town. The chants break out at other sporting events. Especially if the Phillies are sucking and the fans are frustrated.

Well, the Phils are leading 6-1 in the bottom of the seventh, so I guess there won’t be any Eagles chants heard.