Page 53 of 75 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2021 Season

Ultimate Member

I'm not a fan of the Reds either, can remember a few games where they took a few cheap shots during a fight that broke out during the game against the Cardinals...so I'm glad that the Reds aren't in the playoffs but I'm not going to say that the Cards are going to win the whole thing or anything, I'd love to see them do that but I'm a realistic fan and just hope for the best...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    It’s honestly hard to believe that the Braves pulled it off, it was only a relatively short while ago they were 7 games out without having been over .500 all year, after losing Acuna, Ozuna, and Soroka for the year and having been written off by near everyone. Anthopolus deserves major consideration for executive of the year after the moves he made at the deadline.
    Absolutely agree, I found myself sort of wishing he'd work for certain other teams because he made the deals he needed to, while certain others I won't name stood pat, or swung and missed. I too thought they were done at that point. Credit also to the guys like Freeman, who pushed their teammates to play to win.

Speaking of whom, Freeman's son, who looks to be about 5 or 6, evidently has himself a favorite player. Evidently, it wasn't his dad, but rather Tatis Jr., from whom Freeman apparently got his son an autograph from at the All-Star game. I have to believe Tatis Jr. laughed when Freeman told him that. But, yeah, I can sort of see his son's thinking. His dad is just dad to him, and Acuna Jr. is probably someone he's met many times.

I also think Cap must be disappointed in many MLB players for skipping leg day with all those hamstring injuries, but I bet that most of them won't during this off season. Cap will be happy next year, I think.
    Last edited by achilles; 09-30-2021 at 09:59 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Well, to use Yogi Berra's words, "the fat lady has sung" for the Phillies, congrats to the Braves for their 4th straight NL East title. Sad for the Phillies though. Especially guys like Harper and Realmuto. While Harper was 0 for this series, he was great especially after the break. Will Smith decided to ditch the excitement in favor of an 8 pitch 9th, all strikes, with two Ks. Freeman got nailed but good, right in the nerve behind the elbow. He stayed in and seems fine. But it took a few before he walked to first. 5-3 Braves, BTW.

As for the Phillies, hopefully everyone on their line-up will be healed by then, or at least most of them. I truly think that if everything goes their way, and if they do something to fix their weaknesses, they can be the ones next year.
    The fact my Phillies lasted in the playoff chase for as long as they had with only three legitimate starters for most of the season; no steady closer; firestarters in the bullpen; no true centerfielder, scrubs at first base and third and a thin bench. The front office will have a LOT of work to do in the offseason to correct those problems. Meanwhile, the postseason drought is now at ten years. OUCH! The best we can hope for is to finish above .500 for the first time since 2011.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Absolutely agree, I found myself sort of wishing he'd work for certain other teams because he made the deals he needed to, while certain others I won't name stood pat, or swung and missed. I too thought they were done at that point. Credit also to the guys like Freeman, who pushed their teammates to play to win.

Speaking of whom, Freeman's son, who looks to be about 5 or 6, evidently has himself a favorite player. Evidently, it wasn't his dad, but rather Tatis Jr., from whom Freeman apparently got his son an autograph from at the All-Star game. I have to believe Tatis Jr. laughed when Freeman told him that. But, yeah, I can sort of see his son's thinking. His dad is just dad to him, and Acuna Jr. is probably someone he's met many times.

I also think Cap must be disappointed in many MLB players for skipping leg day with all those hamstring injuries, but I bet that most of them won't during this off season. Cap will be happy next year, I think.
    Eh, I was physically active in the army around a lot of physically active people and let me tell you a hammy can hit anyone, they're tendon injuries so it's more a case of warming up and stretching properly than strength training, and obviously standing around is a part of Baseball so I don't think they're going anywhere

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Eh, I was physically active in the army around a lot of physically active people and let me tell you a hammy can hit anyone, they're tendon injuries so it's more a case of warming up and stretching properly than strength training, and obviously standing around is a part of Baseball so I don't think they're going anywhere
    If it was one or two guys going down like that, I'd agree, but this season, it wasn't just one or two; it was a boatload of 'em. And they're supposed to be pro athletes, who are specially conditioned to take that sort of season. My own feeling is that the pandemic limited the training a lot of these guys had, perhaps weakening some key muscle groups. Deadlifts, guys, you need those. And leg curls. Also try very many goblet squats, and Nordic leg curls, then you'll be fine. Well, plus stretching. And warm up better!

With a 5-0 win over Miami last night, my Phillies will finish the season over .500 for the first time since 2011. WHOO-HOO!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    With a 5-0 win over Miami last night, my Phillies will finish the season over .500 for the first time since 2011. WHOO-HOO!!
    Well, congrats! I like them and think they can be good with the nucleus of good players they have, if they can stay clear of so many injuries and if they can add some player in the weak spots.

Well, congrats! I like them and think they can be good with the nucleus of good players they have, if they can stay clear of so many injuries and if they can add some player in the weak spots.
    As I mentioned in a previous post, the Phils have more than a few holes to fill, namely:

--a fifth starter (Wheeler, Nola, Eflin and Suarez are solid)
    --a legitimate closer (a problem ALL season long)
    --a rebuilt bullpen (see above)
    --a centerfielder (I think five players were trotted out there)
    --a leftfielder (Andrew McCutcheon is 35 and done)
    --a shortstop (Didi Gregorius has been a butcher)
    --perhaps a third baseman (sophomore Alec Bohm was a disaster)

Extraordinary Member

As I mentioned in a previous post, the Phils have more than a few holes to fill, namely:

--a fifth starter (Wheeler, Nola, Eflin and Suarez are solid)
    --a legitimate closer (a problem ALL season long)
    --a rebuilt bullpen (see above)
    --a centerfielder (I think five players were trotted out there)
    --a leftfielder (Andrew McCutcheon is 35 and done)
    --a shortstop (Didi Gregorius has been a butcher)
    --perhaps a third baseman (sophomore Alec Bohm was a disaster)
    They don't have to fill all of them with a great player to be good though. Sometimes, a journeyman will do.

This is great news! Above .500 is always a good thing

You listed several things that need to be fixed by The Phillies. What would you say is the biggest need? The one that has to be taken care of in the off season?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

They don't have to fill all of them with a great player to be good though. Sometimes, a journeyman will do.
    Hey, I'm not picky, I'll take a journeyman....as long as he's competent!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    This is great news! Above .500 is always a good thing

You listed several things that need to be fixed by The Phillies. What would you say is the biggest need? The one that has to be taken care of in the off season?
    Easily the bullpen/closer. The Phils blew some 30 plus saves this season, if they converted only a third that number into wins, they would've won NL East instead of Atlanta, and won it comfortably to boot.

Extraordinary Member

Dodgers are in trouble. Kershaw will miss the post season with forearm pain, which has been a problem for him. Sounds tendonish to me. He's also at the end of his contract this year. Dodger have some decisions next season.

Braves end the regular season by taking 2 out of 3 from the Mets, winning the season series with them too(which feels pretty sweet after the season it's been), and looking ready for the post season

meanwhile if the Rays can knock off the Yankees and the Red Sox keep screwing up their chance against the Nationals we may be looking at a three way tie for the AL wild cards spots. Giants look to have all but clenched the NL West.

Edit: Well the Giants have now officially clenched the West meaning the Dodgers and Cardinals will play the wild card game, meanwhile the Yankees won which means they're in, the only questions now is can Boston win in which case they'll be the home team for the wild card game due to tie breaker, and if they lose we'll have a tie for the second wild card spot between them and the Jays(assuming the Jays aren't about to blow an 8 run lead against the Orioles) and if Seattle can come from behind and win their game it'll be a three way tie.

Edit 2: And that's all she wrote for the 2021 regular season, next on the docket will be the wild card games, Yankees at Red Sox and Cardinals at Dodgers

Big Kudos to Ozzie Albies, with his 40th double today he became just the 10th player in MLB history with at least 40 doubles, 20 homers and five triples, and the third Braves player to have 40 doubles, 20 homers and 100 RBI(along with Hank Aaron and Chipper Jones)
    Last edited by Hiromi; 10-03-2021 at 04:44 PM.

NL teams in the playoff field shouldn't sleep on the Cardinals. They might not have the most talent like the Dodgers, but they know how to win, as demonstrated by that 17 game streak. It wouldn't surprise me if they end up winning the pennant.

Extraordinary Member

NL teams in the playoff field shouldn't sleep on the Cardinals. They might not have the most talent like the Dodgers, but they know how to win, as demonstrated by that 17 game streak. It wouldn't surprise me if they end up winning the pennant.
    A 1-game playoff is dangerous no matter who the team are; anyone can win in that case. Watching the Phillies last game was sad. And they've begun the bloodbath even before the season ended, axing a lot of coaches.
    Last edited by achilles; 10-04-2021 at 01:45 AM.