Page 55 of 75 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2021 Season

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Veteran umpire Joe West, who holds the MLB for most games umpired, has informed MLB he is retiring after this post-season. He's been umpiring MLB games for 44 years.

-M
    44 years is a hell of a long time. I just wish he wasn't such an ******* at times.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    44 years is a hell of a long time. I just wish he wasn't such an ******* at times.
    Heh, while I am certainly familiar with the name, I've never been good at recognizing ump, so the guy could walk in front of me and I wouldn't know. Which also means I have trouble coming up with any example of any of his calls.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    As controversial and sometimes frustrating an ump West is he's a fixture of the league, it'll be a shame to see him go. Maybe Angel Hernandez won't be far behind cause NOONE will be sorry to see him retire

This happens to literally every sports league that has a division/wildcard system at some point or another, there's nothing wrong with it, all the games the Dodgers won they had 19 head to head games with the Giants and lost 10 of them, it's not like they didn't have every chance to win their division
    Quite true. All they had to do was win one more head to head game with the Giants. Two would be better.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Veteran umpire Joe West, who holds the MLB for most games umpired, has informed MLB he is retiring after this post-season. He's been umpiring MLB games for 44 years.

-M
    So, the "Cowboy" is hanging up his spurs, eh? Joe West was as polarizing an umpire as ever existed in baseball, still, he'll be missed.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

-M
    As a Reds fan this makes me happy. So many calls against us! He hated us and he was public about it.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Red Sox-Yankees in tonight's AL Wild Card game. I think it's on ESPN, so I'm sure the suits at the Worldwide Leader are creaming their boxers over this matchup. It'll be Gerrit Cole vs. Nathan Eovaldi, while I have no love for th Bombers, I think they'll win this game.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Red Sox-Yankees in tonight's AL Wild Card game. I think it's on ESPN, so I'm sure the suits at the Worldwide Leader are creaming their boxers over this matchup. It'll be Gerrit Cole vs. Nathan Eovaldi, while I have no love for th Bombers, I think they'll win this game.
    That one IIRC is on MLB network. I think the National League is ESPN. Could be wrong, though. I too will take the Yanks in this one. Watching that play by Urshela shows me how much the Yanks want this one. Hopefully someone told him "Good job!" and then "Don't ever do that again!". His ability to draw three ball walks also impresses. If Cole is on, the Yanks win, if not...

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    That one IIRC is on MLB network. I think the National League is ESPN. Could be wrong, though. I too will take the Yanks in this one. Watching that play by Urshela shows me how much the Yanks want this one. Hopefully someone told him "Good job!" and then "Don't ever do that again!". His ability to draw three ball walks also impresses. If Cole is on, the Yanks win, if not...
    Sox-Yanks is on ESPN

Dodgers Cards on TBS

Thursday's DS games are on FS1.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Ya I dont see the Sox winning this game tonight but you never know.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Yankees/Red Sox is must see playoff baseball. I don't like the Yankees, so I'll be rooting for the Red Sox.

The fact my Phillies lasted in the playoff chase for as long as they had with only three legitimate starters for most of the season; no steady closer; firestarters in the bullpen; no true centerfielder, scrubs at first base and third and a thin bench. The front office will have a LOT of work to do in the offseason to correct those problems. Meanwhile, the postseason drought is now at ten years. OUCH! The best we can hope for is to finish above .500 for the first time since 2011.
    We finished just above .500... barely.

We need so much help this off season. And our owner, would really have to spend and go over the cap tax.

That and as you said the front office has their work cut out for them. Smart moves have to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by mikedesil View Post
    We finished just above .500... barely.

We need so much help this off season. And our owner, would really have to spend and go over the cap tax.

That and as you said the front office has their work cut out for them. Smart moves have to be made.
    I don't follow the Phils at all, so I ask their fans here, do they have any help coming from prospects on the cusp who could fill some of those holes next year or in the near future? The best teams fill whatever they can from within and then fill holes with free agents, either journeymen as stopgaps until prospects are ready or big ticket free agents that hopefully don't cripple their payroll flexibility in years to come. The teams that have been perennial contenders in the last decade and a half or so (Rays, Dodgers, and that ilk) have done so developing from within and acquiring prospects to develop first, and then trade/sign free agents to put them over the top once the foundation is in place. Teams that turn to free agency to fill holes in desperation usually regret it and fall short.

So my question you the Phils fans-do the Phils have a sound enough foundation in place for them to go all in on free agency? Do they have pieces coming that will fill some of the needs? What upcoming free agents out there will fill their biggest needs? Will the DH coming to the NL help or hurt the offseason process?

Every team is facing that, and if the DH does come to the NL like a lot of people are saying it will, it will change the free agent market as some strong NL teams (already considered haves) may now be in the market for another bat for their lineup and create more competition and higher price tags on some of the offensive free agents out there, making it harder for the have nots to build their roster and address needs. .

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I don't follow the Phils at all, so I ask their fans here, do they have any help coming from prospects on the cusp who could fill some of those holes next year or in the near future? The best teams fill whatever they can from within and then fill holes with free agents, either journeymen as stopgaps until prospects are ready or big ticket free agents that hopefully don't cripple their payroll flexibility in years to come. The teams that have been perennial contenders in the last decade and a half or so (Rays, Dodgers, and that ilk) have done so developing from within and acquiring prospects to develop first, and then trade/sign free agents to put them over the top once the foundation is in place. Teams that turn to free agency to fill holes in desperation usually regret it and fall short.

So my question you the Phils fans-do the Phils have a sound enough foundation in place for them to go all in on free agency? Do they have pieces coming that will fill some of the needs? What upcoming free agents out there will fill their biggest needs? Will the DH coming to the NL help or hurt the offseason process?

Every team is facing that, and if the DH does come to the NL like a lot of people are saying it will, it will change the free agent market as some strong NL teams (already considered haves) may now be in the market for another bat for their lineup and create more competition and higher price tags on some of the offensive free agents out there, making it harder for the have nots to build their roster and address needs. .

-M
    The minor league system is a huge problem for the Phillies. Huge. There really isn't anybody down there to bring up. That's why we didn't have any chips for a trade. That's why I think our owner Middleton is going to have to spend money over the the cap

Soon-to-be-retired umpire Joe West will be behind the plate for the NL Wild Card game tomorrow.

-M

Eddie Robinson, who at 100 years of age was the oldest living ex-major league baseball player, has passed away.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.