Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    You know what the quickest way to establish their own identity and for people to stop seeing them as the junior varsity league? Get them out of those tired old yellow uniforms. No self-respecting X-Men wears those.

Though I don't know how they are gonna accomplish... NOT being X-Men if they live on Krakoa. I suppose working as teachers sort of counts but I'm not sure a book with no action is gonna sell.
    Agreed. Get them out of those uniforms assign them each individual looks, start putting them on team books, and start giving them narrative push/developing relationships outside of their own groups. Basically everything that was done to Magik start applying that to the other New Mutants.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    Basically as a teleporter, hence the Uber and Magic Bus jokes
    So the Dormamu arc, world eater arc, , and all the times she used her sword and sorcery never happened. Good to know I imagined all that as well as Storm's entire strategy after the X-Men were forced to flee to Limbo from the terrigen mists being 'have Magik do everything.'

In reality Magik was an indispensable member of the team for most of the 2010s and writers did not use her just for transportation but as one of their strongest combatants.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Labeling any of Claremont's New Mutants as "graduates" and "not quite X-Men" is very silly to me. And honestly, disrespectful.

They have been around for 30 (some 40) plus years. And I believe all of them have been actual X-Men at some point.

These are adults. Sam & Rahe have had kids! All (?) have died (some multiple times).

Vita's scenario seems like it would be 100% more in line with the New X-Men youths...Anole, Rockslide, Pixie. etc.

I feel like what you're saying would be true IF Claremont had stayed onboard, but historically the NM have always been treated like this. Outside of a few certain members becoming official X-men or Avengers. They are usually reset with the next relaunch, sure their adults but their in that weird space where they can't really ever become X-men proper as a collective outside again short periods throughout their histories.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

And this is why I just ignore all that "actual ages" nonsense and go with the generalisations:

O5 and ANAD - mid-late twenties...Kate, the youngest.
    NM and GenX - young adults - (19-early twenties) ...Karma, the eldest
    NNM - mid- late teen
    Krakoan NM - early teens and younger.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    You know what the quickest way to establish their own identity and for people to stop seeing them as the junior varsity league? Get them out of those tired old yellow uniforms. No self-respecting X-Men wears those.

Though I don't know how they are gonna accomplish... NOT being X-Men if they live on Krakoa. I suppose working as teachers sort of counts but I'm not sure a book with no action is gonna sell.
    The NM costume colours are yellow and black and each is actually individualised for the character. It's not the all-same uniforms they wore in the 80's.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    The NM costume colours are yellow and black and each is actually individualised for the character. It's not the all-same uniforms they wore in the 80's.
    I think the individualization varies from artist to artist but it honestly looks entirely too uniform for me. Some of the worst uniforms in the line IMHO.

If they really want to grow as characters they need to drop them and get their own looks. It's weird that Magik has her Bachalo look and everyone else is just... the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    Basically as a teleporter, hence the Uber and Magic Bus jokes
    Yes, you are correct. A handful of teleportation jokes over the last 10 years eclipses everything else...

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    So basically the New Mutants are the 'graduates' who aren't quite X-Men, don't really want to be X-Men, and are trying to figure out who they are and what their place is in this new world.
    Yeah no trying to make be believe that Dani, Karma and Ilyana aren't quite X-men, don't want to be X-men or don't know where they fit is toying with my ability to suspend disbelieve.

One or more of The New Mutants should be on the Quiet Council.
    Please Remain Calm

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Karma and Sunspot both run companies, though the Hachi corporation might have seen better days after Karma's whole brother possession and transmode virus infection thing. Cannonball has his life together and is a happily married man and father. Doug is one of the most important mutants alive right now because of his role as the voice of Krakoa, which combined with his recent marriage is why he's not on the team anymore. Magik is one of Krakoa's military leaders and a teacher at Dr. Strange's school, and of all of them she's the most identified as an X-MAN given her prominence since AvX. That basically leaves Dani and Rahne. Dani has largely been trying to find herself since she lost her powers on M-Day and losing a big part of who she was. I'm not sure when she got her powers back, but it would make sense if she's questioning whether she wants to be in the same place she was before M-Day after so long now that she is fully powered. Rahne lost her husband and child and even in Krakoa she's not getting them back.

Out of universe I do agree with Ayala's sentiment. None of these characters are thought of as X-Men other than Magik and they haven't really had much direction over the years. In-universe, things develop even if a character isn't necessary used correctly.
    Dani got her powers back ages ago and even when she was depowered she never shied away from being X-man, she was part of various teams after M-day and taught young mutants. Dani's journey of finding herself as a valkyrie and formerly depowered mutant never made her question her mission as an X-man. Being an X-man was actually the one constant that anchor Dani during that time of her life.

Rahne already went through an existential crisis crisis after leaving Scott's X-force during X-factor. Although the complicated mess of her child not being a mutant and therefore not a priority for the resurrection can understandably make her want to take a step back.

Just because Karma, Sam and Bobby weren't at the forefront of every major X-book during the 2000's doesn't mean that they're x-men wallflowers. Karma was a core member of Liu's astonishing x-men team and later ran Hachi, Bobby became an avengers because of schism and his disagreement with what the X-men has become, brought AIM and took over his father's companies and came back to the X-men because he realised that being an X-man was who he wanted to be. Sam finally has his family back together, started a family of his own and he's back to working with his best friend. Things have never been better for Sam.

I love Vita's writing so far in the x-line but this take about the new mutants is disappointing.

Extraordinary Member

And this is why I just ignore all that "actual ages" nonsense and go with the generalisations:

O5 and ANAD - mid-late twenties...Kate, the youngest.
    NM and GenX - young adults - (19-early twenties) ...Karma, the eldest
    NNM - mid- late teen
    Krakoan NM - early teens and younger.
    But that can’t line up for when Warren was boinking Paige.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
    One or more of The New Mutants should be on the Quiet Council.
    Technically Doug fills that quota as an ancillary member with Krakoa.

That’s why I fear Dani won’t get Jean’s spot. Even though I imagine both Charles and Erik respect her enough to nominate her.

Yes it does.
    As part of Generation X she would have to be at least 18...(and therefore young adult for that scene to be accepted by the editors) At least, that's the head-canon I'm sticking to.

Extraordinary Member

Yes it does.
    As part of Generation X she would have to be at least 18...(and therefore young adult for that scene to be accepted by the editors) At least, that's the head-canon I'm sticking to.
    So how old would you say Paige, Jono and Monet are right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    So how old would you say Paige, Jono and Monet are right now?
    at the start of gen x it was established by the writers that Paige and Monet were 16 while Jono was 18. Paige and Monet should be around 21-23 right now with Jono being around 25.