Page 36 of 127 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686 ... LastLast

I feel like we get some "Clark Kent Reporter" vibes whenever he and Lois are talking her writing about Edge, even if it's mostly him bouncing off what she's saying.

The first three episodes have been fantastic. I've loved them. I just want to say so publically. This is easily the best Superman-related live-action show since Smallville or in about ten years. Who would have thought it but what the shows needed was, well, Superman and Lois, radical thinking I know, huh?
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Deleted for absolute stupidity
    Last edited by GSman; 03-17-2021 at 12:59 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Yes indeed, Jon's character continues to be "basically a saint".

Like, again, I get it it, I'm supposed to sympathize with Jordan's situation, but it's so damn hard when he's almost exclusively self-centered and the whole rest of his family is either looking out for him, other people, or the whole world. Like, Jordan didn't join the team to become more of an extravert or even protect his brother from bullies. He joined the team to throw around his weight and have a space where he could be cheered for knocking these kids out with his Captain America strength. And in isolation I get that as a very human thing to do, but it's just hard to root for it when set next to the rest of his family-- especially his brother.

Jon: "Oh, what's that? My super powered brother who gets to go flying with our super powered dad has decided to jump in on the ONE aspect of my life that makes me feel special in this town? Well, that does make me feel pretty bad, but, hey, he's making friends, so guess I'll let him have that!"

Jordan: "Boy, it sure would be nice to kiss Sarah again, and beat up her boyfriend. I know! I'll do that sport ball thing that one kid who lives in my house is always going on about!"

Exaggeration? Yes. Obviously. But it's just so strange. He's like not a total dick, but he's just a normal teen in a family full of near saints. And now on top of everything next episode apparently Jordan's gonna wanna help people in some way (while yelling at someone. You can't forget that!), but he's going to end up hurting someone, and Jon's going to assure him that he knows he's a good person and that he'd never intentionally hurt someone.....while Jordan flashes him a morally ambiguous look. Like, what does this show ACTUALLY want me to think here?

The episode itself is good, but the Lois stuff is underserved, and it didn't leave me with much to say on it because it was sort of just things happening. I find myself more interested in episodes where Sam Lane shows up, so I'm down for what comes next.
    The issue ain't that for me. Jon stood up for Jordan.But,he went back on his beliefs and bent over backwards.The guy was "My skill on the field are legit".Now,he is okay with this?just because his brother has issues and it's his brother? That's sudden.
    Also,Jordan is doing what Clark does or used to do.Except without any of Clark's chivilary and altruism.

Sidenote-Also,I thought you were always ok with Clark cheating in competition like drinking sun juice for a race.So, it's not that.It has to be for altruistic reasons.Still,I don't like it.I can't believe I am the one with rules for a change.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-10-2021 at 06:46 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Incredible Member

Right now, I'm seeing 3 routes they can go with Jon:

1. He remains the most supportive brother/son imaginable, with at best an acknowledgement that he's not comfortable with any of this before relenting because it's for the good of his family.
    2. He grows resentful and eventually that explodes, either resulting in a more healthy relationship with his family after everything's done or in him becoming a villain for a while.
    3. He remains the most supprotive brother/son imaginable... and then Jordan makes a huge mistake and Jon continues supporting his actions without any real objections, basically making him an enabler for his brother's worst tendencies.

... I'm sort of hoping for the third one, at least temporarily, just to show how wrong this kind of attitude can go.

We’ve already seen that Jon can get pissed off at Jordan, so he’s not going to always just suck it up. I definitely think there will be some outpouring of resentment at some point. I still think Jon will get powers and he & Jordan will get into a fight over it.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

After this episode, starting to look like this show might end up being really football centric. Like we knew that was going to be Jon's thing but now with both Clark and Jordan jumping in, they might really lean into the sports drama angle. I like that this is going to keep the goofy mild mannered act for Clark even if he's not a reporter.
    Anyway I don't know if I've mentioned this here but I actually have a twin. Now he's my best friend and I love that guy. But in high school I could certainly relate to wanting to keep at least one of your hobbies to yourself. Could definitely understand on some level Jonathan's frustration here.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    After this episode, starting to look like this show might end up being really football centric. Like we knew that was going to be Jon's thing but now with both Clark and Jordan jumping in, they might really lean into the sports drama angle. I like that this is going to keep the goofy mild mannered act for Clark even if he's not a reporter.
    Anyway I don't know if I've mentioned this here but I actually have a twin. Now he's my best friend and I love that guy. But in high school I could certainly relate to wanting to keep at least one of your hobbies to yourself. Could definitely understand on some level Jonathan's frustration here.
    I don’t think you’ve ever mentioned it! That’s funny to me, does your twin love comics too?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I don’t think you’ve ever mentioned it! That’s funny to me, does your twin love comics too?
    yes! not as much as me though. We grew up reading ultimate spider-man and Walking Dead. I don't think he posts on this site, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I guess there's also a thematic connection with the Smallville show since Clark doing football was there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess there's also a thematic connection with the Smallville show since Clark doing football was there too.
    Which funny enough made it very ironic for me watching a version of Clark acting like Pa Kent did on that show in regards to sports, though I think This Clark was definitely better here since he had enough trust to let Jordan do it, while keeping an eye out. In Smallville after repeatedly being told no, Clark just outright went and signed up without Jonathan's permission and told him right to his face there was nothing he could do.

Some takeaways from "Superman & Lois" season 1 episode 3:

1. This episode focused squarely on the Super sons.

A decision with which I turned out to be surprisingly ok.

Their titular parents are mega famous brands in pop culture. If you are even watching this show, you know those two will be served. It's the newly created brothers who have to work much harder to earn any cache with the viewing audience.

And it's somehow working.

The two teens are believable as brothers who love and care for each other. They are so far taking pains to avoid the stereotypical CW tropes of pitting them against each other. No love triangle here.

Jonathan has most of Clark's optimism, Jordan has most of his alienation.

2. Once again, the show zags when you expect it to zig.

Jordan trying out for the football team AND making nice with his bully (right after flattening him with a slightly superhuman tackle) was not a sequence I saw coming.

Jonathan, meanwhile, somehow remains the very likeable jock. I get why he didn't get powers (first?): he's already got the classic Superman mentality, give him powers and he's Superboy.

And, as someone who once spent two years playing high school football (easily the least coordinated kid to put on pads during that time there), I so do not miss those practices at all.

3. Tyler Hoechlin continues to impress, and I think his SAL edition is already my favorite live-action version of Clark Kent.

But not Superman. Not yet. Not nearly enough screentime in costume for that title. Which brings us to the next point.

4. If this episode is any indication, SAL is probably going to use Superman in costume sparingly but to maximum effect. And I'm OK with that.

Because when he DOES shows up, Supes fucking shines.

The Bridge In China rescue scene was so great. And that friendly wordless exchange with the boater he rescued was pure Kal-El.

Also, this Superman has super-hearing way beyond any other version I've ever seen anywhere. He heard the Chinese citizens in danger ... while still at home in Smallville. That's wild (also not how sound works, but then, you know, not how flying works either so����*♂️).

And the motel room fight later with the superhuman Subjekt-11 (X-Men's Colossus) was great! Freeze breath-superspeed-uppercut! This Supes can brawl.

5. Feels like we're doing a slow burn with Lois' story away from her family.

I do love that she was true to form and is capable of defending herself against normal henchmen (that stab in the ear with the pen was kinda Jason Bourne of her) ... but having Supes on super-speed-dial helps with the un-normal ones like Subjekt-11.

6. No Captain Luthor this episode, no Sam Lane, but we do get a quick look at a new killer lady who just may be Kryptonian.

7. So, Clark has been technically unemployed for the majority of 3 episodes now (he could always squeeze a lump of coal into diamond if he needed to), and he picks up a gig as the assistant coach of his sons' football team?

I had heard "Superman And Lois" was aiming to be sorta like that "Friday Night Lights" show, but I didn't think they'd go this far.

8. The entire Lang clan are annoying. Adult Lana Lang has never been interesting, he husband is low-hanging fruit of a target, the elder daughter is the most CW thing on the show and the younger one doesn't do anything. They bring the show down.

9. I'm starting to think this is simply an HBOmax show forced to be on the CW. It neither looks nor feels like a CW show. The timeline does not match up at all, even with Crisis factored into all of it. I now kinda doubt we're going to much if any crossover with the other DC CW shows.

And I'm perfectly OK with that.

Grade: 8/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    The first three episodes have been fantastic. I've loved them. I just want to say so publically. This is easily the best Superman-related live-action show since Smallville or in about ten years. Who would have thought it but what the shows needed was, well, Superman and Lois, radical thinking I know, huh?
    Eh, I still kind of loved Krypton and sad it won't continue - that was legit good show. If nothing else I'd hope their versions of Brainiac and Lobo somehow get absorbed/added into this show down the line (I'd also like to see that version of Zod here, but I think Zod's dead in this continuity?).

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, I still kind of loved Krypton and sad it won't continue - that was legit good show. If nothing else I'd hope their versions of Brainiac and Lobo somehow get absorbed/added into this show down the line (I'd also like to see that version of Zod here, but I think Zod's dead in this continuity?).
    I hated that show. It was overly violent, dark, and depressing. Other than live-action Brainiac and Lobo (to a less degree), I won't miss it. I prefer my Superman shows with Superman. But whatever floats your boat.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    The two teens are believable as brothers who love and care for each other. They are so far taking pains to avoid the stereotypical CW tropes of pitting them against each other. No love triangle here.
    Thank god. That's the thing that always annoyed me about CW relationships. A least we have the excuse that they're minors and thus can't just move out if they suddenly start hating each other.