Page 57 of 127 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107 ... LastLast

The Kent family dynamic feels like a breath of fresh air compared to the Pierces on Black Lightning.

Hopefully they can keep that up for future seasons.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I love it, haven’t watched any TV in years but this got me watching every week. It’s very different from other CW shows, there’s no “Team Superman” unless you count Sam Lane, and that relationship seems to be deteriorating fast. The people in charge know their Superman lore and there are tons of exciting deep cuts that even might surprise veteran comic book readers. The weakest part is the sons, but they’re not outrageously obnoxious, just troublesome like kids always are, and I still like them well enough.
    Yeah,when the writers used both Thaddius Killgrave AND had Superman use his little used "super Thunderclap " manuever to stop him,that told me this team KNOWS deep cut Superman lore. I hope they keep unearthing little deep cuts like those.

Now that I thought of it,X-kryptonite is a deep cut from preCrisis. Pretty cool.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 05-07-2021 at 05:05 PM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DarkViKing View Post
    So far i really like it, it feels different than other CW shows...but that is the case with most CW shows when they start.
    Only Batwoman right from the start felt very CW sadly.

But i fear that they will add the usual CW nonsense with the focus being on love triangles and stuff.
    I also fear that Lois and Clark will soon be more in the background to focus on the teenager drama...which would suck.

We will see, but so far im a fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    I mean, they are annoying in exactly the way that real kids are annoying which I love tbh.

They actually act like kids vs the trend in most of these shows where the kids act like they are 30.

The presence of Lois and Clark as the clear adults in the picture make it clear these kids are just that....kids. Prone to outbursts and annoying but also wonderful behavior.
    I guess...they're high school freshmen and act like they're in 5th grade. One minute Clark makes them happy and then the next they're fussing about something else that wasn't even that big of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I guess...they're high school freshmen and act like they're in 5th grade. One minute Clark makes them happy and then the next they're fussing about something else that wasn't even that big of a deal.
    Still seem to have better emotional self-awareness than other teen characters I've seen (and in the Arrowverse).

BANNED

We are living in the time of Superman rip-offs. It’s stale, it’s boring but thankfully Superman and Lois is the real deal.

Mark Millar’s power fantasy insert SM/WW fanfic insert BOMBED with critics this week, in part, because it compared unfavorably with....wait for it....Superman and Lois. Because why would anyone want to watch this show when the ACTUAL Superman is already a father and in a superior show.

So many reviews for Jupiter’s Legacy called out explicitly that it was unfortunate for Millar that his show debuted not just in the shadow of Invincible but, also, in the shadow of of Superman and Lois. The fanfic just couldn’t measure up to the real deal.

Go Superman and Lois. Nothing compares to the real deal and it’s nice to see critics recognize that. Anything else is a pale imitation. This show is not perfect but I’m thankful it exists to remind critics that nothing actually compares to the real Superman.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 05-08-2021 at 01:22 PM.

BANNED

That’s exactly how high school freshman act. 14 year olds are still very much kids in many respects.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Haven't watched yet, how are people liking this show? Is it more or less comparable to the other CW shows in strengths and weaknesses?
    It hasn't felt like a CW superhero show thus far. It's taking it's visual ques from Snyder's more painterly approach and the characterization of everyone has been surprisingly nuanced. The shorter season-length will hopefully eliminate the need for the tired plate-spinning soap opera that has crippled many of the other CW shows. Plus, it seems to have been given a much larger budget.

Well worth checking out if you're interested in the concept of Lois & Clark as parents.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Which is exactly how most teenagers act. Hormones are a helluva thing

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    It hasn't felt like a CW superhero show thus far. It's taking it's visual ques from Snyder's more painterly approach and the characterization of everyone has been surprisingly nuanced. The shorter season-length will hopefully eliminate the need for the tired plate-spinning soap opera that has crippled many of the other CW shows. Plus, it seems to have been given a much larger budget.

Well worth checking out if you're interested in the concept of Lois & Clark as parents.
    Where other CW heroes pussyfoot waiting for their support team to come up with everything he needs to take down the bad guy or talking in his ear 24/7, Superman here is always (relatively) on the ball and knows how to take down bad guys without needing a pep talk or some gadget.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Where other CW heroes pussyfoot waiting for their support team to come up with everything he needs to take down the bad guy or talking in his ear 24/7, Superman here is always (relatively) on the ball and knows how to take down bad guys without needing a pep talk or some gadget.
    His competence is refreshing considering how the other CW heroes are treated, and how Superman in general is treated elsewhere.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I think it’s an intentional contrast between his competence as Superman vs. the mistakes he makes as a father. He’s very proactive as a hero, like when he was off to the resurrection machine before Lois was even done with that call or how he handled Kilgrave on his own. The escape and issue there arose out of his family time.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I think it’s an intentional contrast between his competence as Superman vs. the mistakes he makes as a father. He’s very proactive as a hero, like when he was off to the resurrection machine before Lois was even done with that call or how he handled Kilgrave on his own. The escape and issue there arose out of his family time.
    That's a great observation, and it marks another contrast between this and other CW shows - usually the characters are a mess in all ways, but thankfully they've opted (so far) to show both Lois and Clark as capable, competent people in their jobs, and good people in their family lives who can and do make mistakes.

I hope the dynamic continues, because I love it. This is quickly becoming my favorite Superman show ever.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    That's a great observation, and it marks another contrast between this and other CW shows - usually the characters are a mess in all ways, but thankfully they've opted (so far) to show both Lois and Clark as capable, competent people in their jobs, and good people in their family lives who can and do make mistakes.

I hope the dynamic continues, because I love it. This is quickly becoming my favorite Superman show ever.
    I was thinking that the long break (which was completely out of their control and I’m super sympathetic to) has provided even more pressure and high expectations for their return next week. So many people have been streaming the show and raving about the quality—-its a lot to live up to after such a long hiatus. But I’m sure they are all very aware of that.

I thought it was interesting that Tyler said that he’s made the decision this time around that he isn’t going to watch the show past the pilot. I think he relies on Bitsie to show him something if it’s just something so good that he needs to see how it turns out but that he’s decided that the only way to handle the pressure is just to commit fully every day on set and then leave it in the audiences’ hands. I respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    As a hero he’s great, he knows what he’s doing. As a father and husband he’s sort of making it up as he goes which can cause problems. It’s a good dynamic.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Mighty Member

In fact the only decision that Clark has made that I outright disagree with as a parent is not taking Jonathan to the fortress to learn a bit about his heritage. Every other decision I definitely understand (the kids have over reactions to them... but I expect that from children)