Page 48 of 127 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I think the appeal behind using the Smallville location is pretty easy to see what their going for. The whole seemingly mundane and safe small town being juxtapose with something secret and sinister underneath is an increasingly used trope or seems like it to me anyway. Be it other superhero shows like Wandavision or Star Girl, other popular shows like Dark, Fargo or Stranger things or my personal favorite: the hot fuzz movie. So Smallville is meant to seem like another one of those dull place where nothing happens, but thats I guess supposed to juxtapose (if im using that word right) with whatever Morgan Edge Kryptonite conspiracy thing is going on. Maybe more effectively than if it'd take place in a big crime ridden city where you expect shady shenanigans to be happening.
    Except at this point, people in small towns already know things are shady here irl - the opioid crisis, lack of good jobs, the whole death of small town America is something we see - and something that as you said has become so common in media that it's a trope. And one that just doesn't fascinate me. Maybe in the same way small towns bore me coming from one, big city stuff bores people from cities? I don't know. But it's a setting that doesn't interest me much in and of itself.

(I know it sounds like all I do is whine here - but there are things I really like - Superman/Clark and Lois themselves are great, and the special effects are darn good for tv!)

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Yeah! this isn't a stranger things situation.It doesn't have the same quality as a mystery.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Except at this point, people in small towns already know things are shady here irl - the opioid crisis, lack of good jobs, the whole death of small town America is something we see - and something that as you said has become so common in media that it's a trope. And one that just doesn't fascinate me. Maybe in the same way small towns bore me coming from one, big city stuff bores people from cities? I don't know. But it's a setting that doesn't interest me much in and of itself.

(I know it sounds like all I do is whine here - but there are things I really like - Superman/Clark and Lois themselves are great, and the special effects are darn good for tv!)
    But people outside of small towns don’t. And it puts Superman in an interesting position to explore some of those issues through the superhero medium. It also gets him out of the damn cycle where creators use Superman to talk about Superman. Now they’re using him to talk about other stuff, relevant stuff, the same way Batman is tackling urban decay and the 1%.

Would I prefer to have seen a big budget show set in Metropolis? Absolutely, when this show name drops Glenmorgan Square I was giddy. I would love to get a Superman show set in Year 2 or 3 where he’s established and so are his villains, but I’m also happy to take this because I’m enjoying the plot lines so far.

Edit: Also at this point I think you either like what the show is selling or you don’t which is why most of us still in this thread are enjoying it. Maybe you’ll find the Abrams/Coates reboot more to your liking? Or maybe we can get another animated movie. Sadly nothing on the video game side looks like it will be good for Supes.
    Last edited by Vordan; 03-21-2021 at 10:29 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    But people outside of small towns don’t. And it puts Superman in an interesting position to explore some of those issues through the superhero medium. It also gets him out of the damn cycle where creators use Superman to talk about Superman. Now they’re using him to talk about other stuff, relevant stuff, the same way Batman is tackling urban decay and the 1%.

Would I prefer to have seen a big budget show set in Metropolis? Absolutely, when this show name drops Glenmorgan Square I was giddy. I would love to get a Superman show set in Year 2 or 3 where he’s established and so are his villains, but I’m also happy to take this because I’m enjoying the plot lines so far.
    You didn't need to take Superman out of Metropolis to have Superman get out of the cycle of talking about Superman. That's just bad writing. I guess the difference is I'm just not hooked on the plot lines. I'm only hooked on the characterization. The characters of Superman and Lois are amazing so far, the cinematography is filmic quality, and the special effects are truly great for tv. But most of discussion centers around plot, most of what we have to say involves the plot, and the plot just doesn't have a hook there for me personally. Basically it's just hard for me to be engaged with this series whenever Superman isn't in costume on screen.

I'm in a weird position where I'd probably have preferred a shittier show like Supergirl in terms of quality for this series, but get a more standard Superman set up.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Just because Supergirl is leaving doesn't mean Superman is moving back to Metrolpolis. Hasn't the CW/HBO/WB paid the town for like two or three seasons? So doubtful.
    Like I mentioned to Vordan, I think the show will be dividing its time between Metropolis and Smallville. We've already seen that in regards to Superman, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Lois and maybe even one of the boys returning to Metropolis on a more permanent basis in subsequent seasons.

The current plotline makes sense for the family to be in Smallville, but I don't think that's necessarily something that the show will stick with as the status quo every season. However, from a production point of view, locking down the Kent farm for the next three years is a smart decision no matter where the show goes in terms of setting. That farm is always going to be an important location for Clark and his family to return to again and again.

It would be cool to have Lois & Jon in Metropolis while Clark & Jordan stay in Smallville. One of those unusual living arrangements that characterize the Superfamily.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Perhaps - but it still sucks for me. A lot of fans on this forum seem to be getting some great, amazing Superman product - but sadly it's just not one for this Superman fan...
    There's always a lot of that for any fan of something. People rarely get exactly what they want. When the stars align and you get great stuff that hits your nerd buttons perfectly, it's a wonderful thing, but it's almost never something that happens with these properties.

I try to look at it as a giant buffet that I can pick and choose from rather than a gourmet meal cooked specifically for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Like I mentioned to Vordan, I think the show will be dividing its time between Metropolis and Smallville. We've already seen that in regards to Superman, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Lois and maybe even one of the boys returning to Metropolis on a more permanent basis in subsequent seasons.

The current plotline makes sense for the family to be in Smallville, but I don't think that's necessarily something that the show will stick with as the status quo every season. However, from a production point of view, locking down the Kent farm for the next three years is a smart decision no matter where the show goes in terms of setting. That farm is always going to be an important location for Clark and his family to return to again and again.
    Perhaps, perhaps not. We can only wait and see. But it's not something I'm banking on. At least most of the Superman action hasn't been bogged down in Smallville. In fact one of the most impressive things is how global his fights can get.

It would be cool to have Lois & Jon in Metropolis while Clark & Jordan stay in Smallville. One of those unusual living arrangements that characterize the Superfamily.
    I think there's a lot of different ways they could mix and match the family moving forward. I certainly don't want to see the writers grasping for straws trying to figure out ways of keeping them stuck in Smallville. That kind of wheels spinning hurt the old Smallville TV show pretty badly.

Perhaps, perhaps not. We can only wait and see. But it's not something I'm banking on. At least most of the Superman action hasn't been bogged down in Smallville. In fact one of the most impressive things is how global his fights can get.
    Oh, absolutely. The show has done a pretty good job thus far of showing how Superman can be anywhere he wants to be in the world, but while also showing how that means he isn't always there for his family. That's a nice new wrinkle that I haven't really seen get explored that I think a lot of parents can relate to. Even Superman feels like he's always letting somebody down.

I'm always a fan of giving Superman problems he can't punch his way out of and this works for me. Lots of potential there if they play it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Oh, absolutely. The show has done a pretty good job thus far of showing how Superman can be anywhere he wants to be in the world, but while also showing how that means he isn't always there for his family. That's a nice new wrinkle that I haven't really seen get explored that I think a lot of parents can relate to. Even Superman feels like he's always letting somebody down.

I'm always a fan of giving Superman problems he can't punch his way out of and this works for me. Lots of potential there if they play it right.
    Eh, maybe because it because I'm not a parent, but that's just a new wrinkle my eyes glaze over for. It's the in between stuff I can autopilot my mind for until the episode gets good again.

I know that makes me sound like one of those fans only in it for the fighting, but usually that's not true - it's just the story they're exploring with the family thus far isn't one I connect with - it disengages me.

But up until they go in on how it's at the expense of family time, the Superman can go anywhere thing is great for me!

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Good episode, but - minor spoiler - refuse to believe Lois Lane would let her kid snark back at her the way Jon did. Parenting style aside, she should've verbally crushed him on reflex alone.
    Buh-bye

God it sucks we have to wait for May to get the rest of S1. I wish they had waited until more of the season was ready to go, but like the Abrams/Coates announcement, I’m guessing they wanted to head off the Snyder fanbase trying to retake control of the films.

God it sucks we have to wait for May to get the rest of S1. I wish they had waited until more of the season was ready to go, but like the Abrams/Coates announcement, I’m guessing they wanted to head off the Snyder fanbase trying to retake control of the films.
    ...but the show has nothing to do with the films?

...but the show has nothing to do with the films?
    Maybe. Maybe not. I don’t buy the two are totally unconnected. I don’t really see why they couldn’t have waited to debut the show in May except that they wanted Superman content out there that wasn’t Snyder’s. Just a gut feeling I have.