Page 13 of 127 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

So I caved in and gave this a shot and surprisingly I didn't hate it. i wanted to and I was expecting to but I enjoyed watching this and the production was really good.

As far as the story beats go, I'm glad they didn't drag out not telling his sons his secret and Jordan discovering his powers. I kinda wish his sons switched names because Jordan looks like teen comics Jon in live action, also show Jon looks like a Jordan to me. I LOVED that Superman wasn't completely helpess when he got stabbed with the krptonite and just pulled it out before he landed. I also liked the Lex twist, it's not the boring same old. One thing I didn't like was Ma Kent dying, I would've liked to see her stick around some more.
    Last edited by 9th.; 02-25-2021 at 06:31 AM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Also did anyone laugh at the reveal scene? His sons say they've seen Superman but he looks exactly the same without the glasses.
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Also did anyone laugh at the reveal scene? His sons say they've seen Superman but he looks exactly the same without the glasses.
    Yeah, my wife and I did. To be a little more fair to the scene, they didn't really react until he started to pick up the truck but it was still a little silly. When watching the making of special that aired after the pilot, I also thought it was funny that the actor who plays Jon is really named Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    Yeah, my wife and I did. To be a little more fair to the scene, they didn't really react until he started to pick up the truck but it was still a little silly. When watching the making of special that aired after the pilot, I also thought it was funny that the actor who plays Jon is really named Jordan.
    Wow I didn't even know that was his real name that makes it even funnier.

Finally got around to watching this. Loved it. SFX and cinematography for a CW show were top notch. The writing was solid. Lot's of great easter eggs. Superman is both human and heroic. Lois is both loving and determined. I love the take on Sam Lane, the comics should steal it.

The kids are a "wait and see." I don't hate them though. I feel like they could accomplish the same thing with just one kid. Two might be overkill and there for the sake of CW drama.

Hope they can keep up the production levels and writing. If this devolves in a low-budget mess where "Team Superman" is Lois, Jordan, and Jonathan working out of a barn helping Superman stop a freak of the week... I'll be a sad panda.

People were all talking about a love triangle between the two sons and fortunately it doesn't seem like they are gonna do that, at least this season. There's gonna be tension between them, but it won't br about getting to date a girl.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    People were all talking about a love triangle between the two sons and fortunately it doesn't seem like they are gonna do that, at least this season. There's gonna be tension between them, but it won't br about getting to date a girl.
    Thank you God, I hate love triangles

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Looking at it, Cryer's Lex looks almost too cartoony for this version of Superman. They went hard on the realism here (minus some of the dialogue reading like a 40 year old writing for a 15 year old but it's CW so clunky dialogue is part of the package) and I think they also went a little too hard on some of the fan service trying to fit every version of the character into it (anyone else notice how much Pa looks like Glen Ford when the ship opens?). But those would be my only real complaints. The reveal at the end almost felt out of place next to the more down to Earth feel of the rest of the show. I almost wish this was a stand alone universe (although I do like the idea of him living in a world with the Flash). I actually think Michael Rosenbaum's Lex would fit in here perfectly.
    Assassinate Putin!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    I said a lot already above regarding the controversy surrounding the show and Nadria Tucker’s dismissal and I stand by that and I truly hope you all consider what I said.

My feelings on the pilot generally are:

I loved a lot about it. I’ve always thought Tyler was a great Clark/Superman so it was no surprise to me how truly great he was last night. I think it’s safe to say that he is going to go down as one of the best ever in the role. I’m comfortable saying that. He’s fantastic on every level. I also think he was more than convincing as a Father. I know there has been some concerns about that but I felt he did an amazing job. I felt that paternal connection to those kids. He said he’s been drawing on his relationship with his nephews and nieces and whatever he did....it worked. Keep it up.

Elizabeth Tulloch is great as Lois with the limited amount they gave her to do. Yes, she will apparently be getting her own villain in Morgan Edge and her role as investigating journalist will be preserved but I think the concern for Lois’s treatment goes far beyond just giving her journalist work to do.

EW did a recap today basically saying that Clark appears to be having a midlife crisis and that it seemed pretty out of character for Lois to just agree to move their kids to a very small town just because he wants to. And I agree. The problem with how they are using Lois is she has no interior life. We don’t get her POV, her emotions or her feelings. That’s a problem. Because if we are going to explore Clark’s interior drama and emotional relationships we should be seeing hers too. My concern is that, much like when Peter tomasi was on the books, the showrunner thinks that plot equals character. So Lois would get one moment being “badass” in the Hellbat suit and everyone would cheer like “see Lois got to do something” when that’s all a ruse because that’s not actual representation. For Lois to truly be treated equally on this show her role can’t just be “supportive wife and mom” who “goes off and chases Morgan edge for 15 minutes every episode.” We need to know how she FEELS or this is all a pointless exercise. And that concerns me with this showrunner because that requires a commitment to actually telling women’s stories and not just trying to score “feminist” points with one liners or plot. I think they are going to have to tread very, very carefully here particularly given Lana has been rewritten yet AGAIN by these men with yet another sad story tragedy. Lois can’t just be the “together one” all the time with no struggles of her own. That’s not fair. It’s also a waste of Elizabeth Tulloch who has sort of a Katherine Hepburn “I don’t give a **** but also, umm, I have feelings if you would ask” vibe to her that should be used.

The sons were actually pretty great to me. I liked the way they got along with each other. The drama with Lana’s daughter doesn’t really interest me but I’m also not the demo for that. I can’t fault younger viewers having a way in.

All in all, there was a lot to love here but the problems highlighted above combined with the issues I already outlined regarding Nadria Tucker are going to make or break this series. Let’s hope they are addressed.
    This is a big problem to me ,The pilot of show have her name in the title. I haven't seen the show yet but I hope that in the next episodes they will use the character better .this show needs to be creative Smallville gave us one of the best Lois Lane, so I think it's not that difficult But I will watch the show to have my conclusions
    Last edited by Superfamily; 02-25-2021 at 09:28 AM.

Hah I thought it was well done honestly, but you gotta just roll with the inherent silliness of the glasses.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

In truth he originally could manipulate the muscles in his face to disguise himself, later he was shown to be a master of disguise with make up. They did it better in the Golden Age but it probably got dropped for convenience in those short Action Comics tales.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

In the early post Crisis comics he'd move his head at super-speed so nobody could get a good look at his face. And if nobody suspects that Superman even has a secret ID they have no reason to look too closely at Clark or anyone else. We don't know how many people have seen him up close in this universe.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    In the early post Crisis comics he'd move his head at super-speed so nobody could get a good look at his face. And if nobody suspects that Superman even has a secret ID they have no reason to look too closely at Clark or anyone else. We don't know how many people have seen him up close in this universe.
    Imagine the people he worked with everyday at the Daily Planet for 20 years are familiar enough with his face. If he was constantly out as a journalist, it becomes increasingly difficult to hide it as well. Though honestly at this point we've got to stop over thinking the glasses. If we can accept an alien can be powered like a battery from the sun, and have extraordinary abilities, we just have to accept glasses are a disguise that works. That's just the magic of these properties making the impossible seem normal.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Looking at it, Cryer's Lex looks almost too cartoony for this version of Superman. They went hard on the realism here (minus some of the dialogue reading like a 40 year old writing for a 15 year old but it's CW so clunky dialogue is part of the package) and I think they also went a little too hard on some of the fan service trying to fit every version of the character into it (anyone else notice how much Pa looks like Glen Ford when the ship opens?). But those would be my only real complaints. The reveal at the end almost felt out of place next to the more down to Earth feel of the rest of the show. I almost wish this was a stand alone universe (although I do like the idea of him living in a world with the Flash). I actually think Michael Rosenbaum's Lex would fit in here perfectly.
    I didn't feel the reveal at the end felt out of place because Superman has always had this very human and down to Earth elements mixed with the otherworldly and fantastical stuff. It's why Superman having a break and going to Smallville to Ma to eat some apple pie and later fighting a supervillain in space is pretty normal to me.

I actually love that we are watching actual Superman in this show and not just Smallville 2.0 teen angst.

I saw it as Jordan had seen Superman before but not really up close, so that kind of worked for me. Only few people know both Superman and Clark Kent like Lois.