Page 58 of 127 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    As a hero he’s great, he knows what he’s doing. As a father and husband he’s sort of making it up as he goes which can cause problems. It’s a good dynamic.
    Its allegorical to many parents really. They are successful in the business world or at their careers, but when it comes to their children they are flying by the seat of their pants. Pun intended.

One of the things Grant Morrison has said about Superman and why he works so well is that his experiences are ours,just dialed up to the highest degree. While most human parents have to struggle between being Superman/woman at the office and be that at home,Clark and Lois are literally trying to save the world while trying to guide two teenagers, one or both of whom have powers.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I think it’s an intentional contrast between his competence as Superman vs. the mistakes he makes as a father. He’s very proactive as a hero, like when he was off to the resurrection machine before Lois was even done with that call or how he handled Kilgrave on his own. The escape and issue there arose out of his family time.
    Is good to keep in mind that Oliver Queen was a badass in Arrow's first season, he could run down dozens of bad guys, was tech savy enough to set up the most basic surveillance and if he lost 3 or 4 fights was much. Then as the show progressed he would get his ass beaten and need assistance to send an email.

What I'm saying is, CW loves team dynamics and my guess is that as the show goes on we'll see a less and less competent Superman so other characters can shine.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think it’s an intentional contrast between his competence as Superman vs. the mistakes he makes as a father. He’s very proactive as a hero, like when he was off to the resurrection machine before Lois was even done with that call or how he handled Kilgrave on his own. The escape and issue there arose out of his family time.
    Agreed. That contrast is definitely intentional and has paid off thus far. He's got it together as Superman, it's being a father that he's uncertain. It's a great update of the Superman/Clark dynamic that feels organic and true to the character.

Hyped! Only 6 more days to go!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

spoilers:
    So Captain Luthor's Superman had a Kryptonian army? Unless those were Superman robots.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    spoilers:
    So Captain Luthor's Superman had a Kryptonian army? Unless those were Superman robots.
    end of spoilers
    Now, I REALLY want to see it!
    Assassinate Putin!

Mighty Member

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Now THAT'S different from the usual evil Superman trope... Color me interested.

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Wonder if the other Superman was possessed, and the overarching plot is Superman needing to avoid getting Superior Spider-Man? Assuming he wasn’t just bad from the start. Those other Kryptonians I’d wager are possessed humans like we’ve seen already. Feel pretty confident now in my “Zod/Xa-Du are possessing Edge” theory!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Wonder if the other Superman was possessed, and the overarching plot is Superman needing to avoid getting Superior Spider-Man? Assuming he wasn’t just bad from the start. Those other Kryptonians I’d wager are possessed humans like we’ve seen already. Feel pretty confident now in my “Zod/Xa-Du are possessing Edge” theory!
    It would connect the Edge/Luthor storyline together quite well. Maybe Luthor was wrong about his Superman the whole time.

i have not watched Invincible, but I did more or less spoil myself online because the youtube, and twitter algorithm seemed determined to make sure I know everything about that show for some reason. spoilers:
    so what if Cap Luthor's Superman is like Omni-man? Krypton never blew up, and he grew up a fanatic with an army trying to grow a kryptonian empire, and in season 2, he'll try to spread that empire to earth prime?
    end of spoilers
    also here's this (though Stargirls kinda the only show i wanna see this crossover with besides maybe one last team up with Kara)
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 05-14-2021 at 08:30 AM.

EW has a nearly 40 minute roundtable with the cast about the rest of the season. The article has quotes on the coming couple of episodes.

https://ew.com/tv/superman-lois-around-the-table/

On the Edge is possessed by Zod speculation, they describe Edge as kinda Zod-y to me:

"Morgan Edge, as increasingly discover, is a fanatic who essentially feels as though certain people, without giving too much away, deserve to exist and other people don't deserve to exist," says Rayner, whose performance is partially inspired by Kenneth Branagh's turn as Nazi General Reinhard Heydrich in HBO's Conspiracy. "I found Kenneth Branagh's performance in that film, and just [in terms of] the confidence that [Edge] has as a CEO of this terrible organization, very helpful." Helbing adds: "There's definitely a supremacy sort of attitude behind all of this."
    And Episode 8 sounds like a more Lois-centric episode with her and Jon teaming up:

Looking ahead, Tulloch is very excited for audiences to see Lois team up with Jonathan in episode 8. "It's an extremely emotional episode for Lois, and it ties together part of the Luthor story line but also why specifically she's so fiercely protective of her sons," says Tulloch. "When I first read the script… I was like, 'Oh my god, how am I going to do this?' I'm really looking forward to seeing it. And one of the things I loved about the episode is that you see a Lois and Jonathan team-… I just really enjoyed working a lot with Jordan Elsass on that stuff. It was fun, and the two of them being the ones in the family who don't have powers but still have to get s--- done."
    If they are really going to keep one kid powerless, I think that should have been Jordan just for the comic synergy. But the idea that one doesn't have powers and that gives a viewpoint of how Lois role in their upbringing plays out is a pretty good idea.

Astonishing Member

EW has a nearly 40 minute roundtable with the cast about the rest of the season. The article has quotes on the coming couple of episodes.

https://ew.com/tv/superman-lois-around-the-table/

On the Edge is possessed by Zod speculation, they describe Edge as kinda Zod-y to me:

And Episode 8 sounds like a more Lois-centric episode with her and Jon teaming up:

If they are really going to keep one kid powerless, I think that should have been Jordan just for the comic synergy. But the idea that one doesn't have powers and that gives a viewpoint of how Lois role in their upbringing plays out is a pretty good idea.
    I actually didn't think about Zod when he said it but now that you have pointed it out, yes it does sound a lot like he's talking about Zod, a floating theory around this particular Edge since the X-Kryptonite reveal.

I'm loving the sound of Lois and Jon. I posted this elsewhere, it may be that the writers are pairing the powered members of the family with the non powered, who are shown to be no less heroic than the powered; Clark and Lois and for the moment, Jordan and Jonathan. It creates an extended dynamic. I know plenty of fans are waiting for Jon to have his powers and some are waiting for them to start superhero-ing like we've got in the comics right now but I hope they put of any of the boys becoming Superboy this soon. I rather enjoy them is this more grounded setting than straight up comic booky stuff. Them saving the day, here or there is fine but leave most of the (super)hero stuff to dad and mom for now.

And could this Jon/Jordan powers thing be inspired by the old comic book cover from the silver age and not necessarily from today's comic to explain why Jonathan hasn't developed his abilities yet? They've been deep diving through a whole bunch of stuff as it is already and perhaps they took that idea and are running with it for this season (I don't see it lasting past S1 anyway).
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 05-14-2021 at 12:03 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Speaking as someone who lives in the midwest, I can tell you that, generally, teams tend to play nearby teams. Not cities in other states. Unless they win some kind of championship. And even then it's a tier system. You have to win the state championships first. Seems odd a small town in Kansas would play a major city on the coast.
    Assassinate Putin!