Page 42 of 127 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

* The Lois and Clark stuff was absolutely on point! Lois in particular, after a slow start, is inching more and more into feeling like she's going through some stuff like everyone else on this show. Getting more on her life with Sam, and how it's leaking into her life with her husband and kids was a nice surprise.

* The "argument" between Lois and Clark was handled so well, and so legit. I've honestly had similar "arguments", so the whole thing damn near made me blush.

* That's for sure Subjekt's landing in the opening.

* Sure it was minor, but I'm sorry, Jordan's "he's been popular, he'll be fine" thing when talking about his brother was a legit dick move especially when juxtaposed with Jon who when he isn't actively trying to keep his brother safe and happy is also looking out for other people on the team who look like they may be going through something. And he's doing this all while having his life uprooted and hardly making a fuss about it. Jordan's comment would've felt more sympathetic if Jon weren't such a stand up kid basically all the time.

* The school for gifted teens is totally going to be 7734.

* X-Kryptonite is almost assuredly how Jon gets his powers (not so subtlety hinted at with "this town is my kryptonite"). And I imagine it'll be a drug metaphor, and that'll be compelling sure, but also so sad because the kid is just so nice and helpful. Guessing the X-Kryptonite will awaken his latent genes (likely in a REALLY big way), he'll get taken to stay with Sam and the other kids, become Sam's "good solder" Superman, and likely clash with Jordan.

* As a bonus, Jon going away to join a team full of militarized super teens functions as a grounded version of him leaving for the Legion. Honestly, since Crisis changed thing, this may be the new origin for the Legion? "Inspired by Superman" in the sense that they're gathered to take him down if need be, but also using Jon as its example and possible leader (him going back to being the popular "star athlete" and team leader he was). A grounded and twist on the two old and new versions.

All in all, each new episode becomes my new favorite, and the show just keeps building. I'm just bummed out that they're making Jon such a great kid in part to show his fall (most assuredly not a forever thing, but still sucks).
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The whining about Hoechlin is amusing to look back on now.
    It was justified, the Supergirl writers wrote him horribly.

Quote Originally Posted by objectivewatcher2013 View Post
    It was justified, the Supergirl writers wrote him horribly.
    That was never Hoechlin's fault though, what his character does and how he's characterized is at the mercy of the writers, and they did a horrendous job with him, despite his good introduction episodes. It was his good showings in those episodes for me anyway, that maintained my optimism for the show, even if his prior showings were less than favourable. Just needed the right material and writers and voila, we got a pretty darn good Superman.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

* X-Kryptonite is almost assuredly how Jon gets his powers (not so subtlety hinted at with "this town is my kryptonite"). And I imagine it'll be a drug metaphor, and that'll be compelling sure, but also so sad because the kid is just so nice and helpful. Guessing the X-Kryptonite will awaken his latent genes (likely in a REALLY big way), he'll get taken to stay with Sam and the other kids, become Sam's "good solder" Superman, and likely clash with Jordan.
    I couldn't watch the episode.I would when i get time and when i am home.But, what's this x-kryptonite thingy?Are they really going for a chemical origin?That means jon is a modern hugo danner confirmed.
    He's a jock.
    He's protects the weak.
    He believes in fair play.
    Now all that's left is a circus and a jungle. A miltary would suffice in its place.
    Now,they are gonna go for the chemical origin(If true).For those who don't hugo danner was superman before superman.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-17-2021 at 01:32 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

So we have a villain named Kilgrave and a special school for kids with powers. Are we sure this isn't a Marvel show.

It's funny to think Sam Lane was originally a farmer whose only flaw was being a really embarrassing parent.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    That was never Hoechlin's fault though, what his character does and how he's characterized is at the mercy of the writers, and they did a horrendous job with him, despite his good introduction episodes. It was his good showings in those episodes for me anyway, that maintained my optimism for the show, even if his prior showings were less than favourable. Just needed the right material and writers and voila, we got a pretty darn good Superman.
    No, nothing against Tyler. He's doing an exemplary job as Clark/Superman. But it was disgusting what Supergirl did to him. The costume was horrible. They made a him a joke sidekick to Supergirl. Superjobberman. "Oh Kara you are so much stronger than I, you earth's champion" lol, somebody pass me the barf bag. Anyway, kudos to the current staff, they're doing a fantastic job.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by objectivewatcher2013 View Post
    No, nothing against Tyler. He's doing an exemplary job as Clark/Superman. But it was disgusting what Supergirl did to him. The costume was horrible. They made a him a joke sidekick to Supergirl. Superjobberman. "Oh Kara you are so much stronger than I, you earth's champion" lol, somebody pass me the barf bag. Anyway, kudos to the current staff, they're doing a fantastic job.
    I was often frustrated with the way Supergirl undermined Clark (particularly in the Crisis crossover) but there is nothing “disgusting” about Clark himself openly praising Kara.

Clark is the most humble man on the planet. It’s completely in character for him to uplift and praise the people around him—particularly someone like Kara who he loves and cherishes like a sister. There is nothing disgusting about Superman of all people praising anyone ESPECIALLY a woman.

Yes, I’ll happily drag the CW for the way they treated this Superman during Crisis (which was egregious) but the praise for Kara is not an insult. It’s exactly what Superman would do as he is not driven by ego.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Gonna just lay out what I assume the crux of the mid season climax or even season ended will be.

* Depending on how and when he gets his powers, the inciting incident makes it clear that Jon can't stay with Clark and Lois for a while. Something along the lines of Sam saying that he'd be too dangerous to keep in town untrained (I'm going off the assumption Jon's powers are more overt and more powerful than Jordan's based on Tag's display).

* On top of that Jon seems to be feeling more and more alienated from the town and even his family (with Tag being seemingly his only real friend in town).

* Jon leaves around lets say winter break (since it's early season football so we're in fall), thus spends roughly 3 weeks (see what I did there?) with Sam at the special meta school, and when he comes back Clark, Lois, and Jordan feel like they've missed a bunch of time with him because of how much he's changed (stuff like not being interested in football anymore and what have you) But instead of going off with one crazy grandpa to go on space adventures, he's going off with another to basically become super Captain America.

* As I said before, the school doubles as a Legion analog and possibly even the new version of the Legion's origin post-crisis. Betting they'll round out the girlfriend subplot by having him date a Saturn Girl equivalent on the team.

* Unfortunately I'm pretty sure Jon'll be Sam's sleeper agent when he comes back, and he'll have to make a choice to stand with his new family or his old one.

* Also Edge most assuredly has an in with the DEO's 7734 that Sam created. The X-Kryptonite is also what gave rise to an army (or "Legion". I bet you anything that's what Sam was gonna say before Lois cut him off) that alt Clark used to take over Cap Lex's world. In that evil Superman scene you can see other red laser beams coming from the other side even before Clark gets there, implying they're fighting more than just him. So, I'm betting Cap Luthor, Sam, and Edge unwittingly provide the platform for this world's version of evil Superman, and I think that's intended to be Jon. And averting it will be either Jordan or Clark or both making amends for kind of neglecting his feelings for this long.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Mixed feelings on the villain elements of the episode but I still genuinely like the show overall.

The good: Lois and Clark
    Lois finally got some much needed and long overdue POV. More of this please. It needs to keep happening. Elizabeth Tulloch is really settling into the role and finding her voice. The confrontation with Edge at the mines was classic Lois from the way she said “omg who cares” when he started talking about his accent (LOL) to her bravery in standing up to him. There is no question this Lois is badass to her core.

The brief exchange in the beginning where Clark offered to go with Lois to the mines to confront Edge was needed and important. The show is doing a good job showing that Clark is concerned for her safety and willing to back her up when needed but he’s not controlling. Can’t have him be too nonchalant because then he looks uncaring about a genuine safety issue but also don’t want him controlling her life. Hard balance to strike but I respect they are trying to establish it.

Lois telling Clark that she felt low on his priority list after he couldn’t make it to the meeting to stand up for her was well done and necessary. It was a fair fight. Lois knows it’s not his fault and she knows she can’t blame him. But it still hurts. And Clark’s genuine heartbreak at the realization that his super strong wife has been hiding this little heartbreak was well done. She’s been doing so much for their family for so long and you don’t want to become resentful but it can hurt.

Didn’t seem to be an accident that they showed Lois putting on the hot skinny jeans, super high heels and leather jacket as she headed out with Lana. Like a reminder to the show and to Clark that his wife is not just a mom. She’s a woman with her own needs. As a mom myself, this resonated. Sometimes it’s like we forget who we are until we get a few minutes out with another woman without the kids. That brief little moment in front of the mirror kind of got to me. I’ve been there.

Lois standing up to her father both in the beginning of the episode and her explosion on him at the end was also long overdue and necessary. Sam Lane was a crappy father who didn’t support her and was never around. I wish we had some information about what happened to Lois’s mother and if Lois was tasked with raising her sister after because Sam was so absent as she was on SV but maybe that’s coming in the future. It was great to see that, in Lois and Clark’s marriage, they can be frustrated but, when push comes to shove, they back each other to. She can feel heartbroken by Clark but no one talks to her husband in that way her their house. Sam completely overstepped with their kids and he was being completely unfair to Clark and Lois let him have it.

Clark’s emotion as he confronted Sam with the “I am their Dad, that’s my job” and “ no it’s my obligation” was very well done and well acted by Tyler. I liked the emphasis that it is NOT on those kids to bear that burden itÂ’s on Clark himself. And he refuses to put that burden on his children. That’s good stuff.

Clark making sure to show Lois how much he cherished her in the final scene in the barn was really good. Clearly Smallville inspired and Im happy to see that homage. His words were sincere and true. “You are the first thing I think about in the morning and the last thing I think about at night.” Doesn’t matter how long you have been together, you need to verbalize that to your partner and it was vital that Lois heard that from him to validate that she is not lost in the chaos of their lives. That was beautiful.

What else? The Lois/Lana scene was good even if it spectacularly failed the Bechdel test. It’s a bit odd to see Clark and Kyle compared given the problems do not feel remotely equal though. Lois and Clark have a strong marriage and they were having a justifiable conflict. Kyle has been sleeping on the couch for months and Kyle and Lana have been estranged apparently. So it’s kind of hard to buy that one night out with Lois magically fixed Lana’s issues in her marriage. It felt a tad glossed over. Still, nice to see Lois and Lana engage in genuine friendship. Lana really seems to like Lois and that’s at least refreshing.

The OK:
    Lana. This weeks episode had a bit of Smallville stink on it with Lana. What I mean by that was that the show seemed oddly obsessed with her in the way Al and Miles used to be back in the day and it became a serious problem for SV. Morgan Edge has to flirt with her. He is eyeing her up as a potential super powered person. Ugh. I really hope that’s not where this is going. I am not sure we need Lana as a potential antagonist and we definitely do not need her as Superwoman. Can this show please just breathe a bit before we give Superman some kind of team where he has to share spotlight with other superpowered people? It still feels like this show doesn’t know what to do with Lana or who she is. She says she doesn’t trust Edge to Kyle but I am not sure I buy it yet. We hear last week that she’s feeling extremely lost which I guess would make her susceptible to someone like Edge. But it all feels just too Smallville inspired.

Jonathan/Jordan: I still love the kids and I feel for them but I am genuinely worried about Jonathan and I truly hope next week’s episode which teased him speaking up about how unhappy he is to his father addresses his pain. I will be heartbroken if the brothers are set up against each other.

The Bad:
    This was the first episode that felt CW formulaic on the plot side. I groaned internally at the hint of meteor freaks circa early Smallville. Superman confronting Killgrave was well done but it lacked the stakes of last week’s motel fight or the confrontations with Captain Luthor. But I loved the clap!

All told, the relationships and family drama continue to make this show a cut above other superhero shows even if the villain threats this week felt generic.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 03-17-2021 at 12:07 PM.

The freak of the week may prove to be a necessity, to some degree, just to get some Superman into these episodes. The stuff with the kids and Sam Lane is fine, but I’m watching Superman and Lois for Superman and Lois. By the time Clark suited up this week, I was definitely ready.

Mighty Member

This may be the first episode we've gotten where we didn't have to hear Jordan yell at his father about SOMETHING, which is a plus for me. I really feel for poor Jonathan in the fact that he's still getting the short end of the stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
    The freak of the week may prove to be a necessity, to some degree, just to get some Superman into these episodes. The stuff with the kids and Sam Lane is fine, but I’m watching Superman and Lois for Superman and Lois. By the time Clark suited up this week, I was definitely ready.
    Yeah, I give these shows some slack in the freak of the week department in the first season in the fact that we have to establish some villains.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
    Yeah I mean...I definitely agree that I want Clark and Lois to drive the bulk of the screentime.

It’s definitely interesting that it looks like Lois’s threat is going to coincide with Superman. Tyler said as much in an interview a few weeks ago along the lines of “Lois and Clark start out kind of chasing different threads but you will see how they connect etc.”

I definitely like the idea that they are both going to be hunting this threat from different angles that will ultimately converge.

Seen comparisons to Sam Lane being the Jim Gordon of the show, but it looks to me like his dynamic with Clark could not be more different. On the surface, Batman and Jim don't look too close, he's not officially in the know about who Bruce is, and gets repeatedly ditched midsentence whenever he turns his head. But underneath that is a strong bond built on mutual respect and trust. This General Lane may know who Clark is, and they might have more polite conversations when they meet. But theres no respect beyond that. Lane just sees Clark as a weapon he might have to kill someday and his daughter as a distraction. And the last thing Clark seems to want to become is someone like Sam. Especially since Lois seems to have a finger on the "disown dickhead Dad" trigger.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Seen comparisons to Sam Lane being the Jim Gordon of the show, but it looks to me like his dynamic with Clark could not be more different. On the surface, Batman and Jim don't look too close, he's not officially in the know about who Bruce is, and gets repeatedly ditched midsentence whenever he turns his head. But underneath that is a strong bond built on mutual respect and trust. This General Lane may know who Clark is, and they might have more polite conversations when they meet. But theres no respect beyond that. Lane just sees Clark as a weapon he might have to kill someday and his daughter as a distraction. And the last thing Clark seems to want to become is someone like Sam. Especially since Lois seems to have a finger on the "disown dickhead Dad" trigger.
    I don’t think it has anything to do with Sam not respecting Clark. I think it’s a conflict that SV explored with Sam Lane too.

Sam just doesn’t believe that family trumps duty. He clearly chose duty over his family and he expects that Clark will do the same. The Sam Lane on SV grew to very much regret that choice but it didn’t happen until the final season when he almost lost Lois for good.

I think it’s too early to know or tell how this version will go. But I was glad to see both Lois and Clark stand up to him.

Some takeaways from "Superman & Lois" season 1 episode 4 (spoilers)
    1. The single most attractive trait that Lois Lane has consistently possessed since 1938 is her complete willingness to be unpopular in pursuit of her goal.

And this Lois is no exception, standing up to everyone in her way, even when she gets muzzled by legal action. We got a lot of Lois this episode, and that's a good thing.

2. Thaddeus Kilgrave. Now there's a deep cut. In the comix, his shtick was being a runty criminal mad scientist inventor, back when Lex Luthor was way more entrepreneur than scientist. If Lex is an A-list supervillain, Kilgrave is D-list. The explosive chewing gum escape was very Bronze Age Luthor, tho.

3. Ah, the old grandparent undermining the parent routine. Sam Lane is going to be a problem. Dude was a straight-up villain in the comix, and here he is definitely not that, but I'm good with the fraying relationship between him and Lois and Clark. His role is a cross between what Alfred Pennyworth and Jim Gordon are to Batman while being far more conniving than either of them.

4. I dislike Superman being at all tight with the military. It always plays right into the "government stooge" aspect that I hate seeing brought up. It works for now, because he's mostly playing defense, but feels like that may change soon.

5. I do like the ballcap and glasses look for Clark. It's a natural fit, and makes it even slightly more of a disguise for Superman. Kinda hope that look gets tried out more in the comix.

6. Thunderclap! It's not just for the Hulk. Great use of that super ability. And I'm glad they showed him at least trying to use superspeed in battle.

7. The boys: Jordan is popular thanks to football, now buddies with his former bully, and getting closer to Sara.

Meanwhile, Jonathan is becoming almost a martyr, still benched but still looking out for everyone. He's going to break soon.

8. Clark saving his sons' mutating classmate by flying him past the nighttime clouds to calm him down was beautifully shot.

9. Morgan Edge and killer hench just found a cave full of kryptonite. And Lana might become their unwitting tool. And Kyle isn't a 100% dbag after all.

10. So now everyone has noticed Superman isn't flying over Metropolis nearly as much anymore. That makes me a little bummed out.

I really hope that Metropolis somehow becomes a big part of this show at some point. Smallville is cool, but really isn't the heart of the mythos.

Next week: Captain Luthor returns!

Grade: 7/10.