Page 30 of 127 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I did sort of call this one, these shows do love their evil doppelgangers. He's still wearing that Elseworlds suit, so unless he's Deegan, guessing they're saving him as the villain for season 2. Anyway I thought this was a good episode. I like that this one focused a bit more on Lois and Jonathan, while the pilot was on Clark and Jordan. But we still had plenty of Superman action.
    One thing giving me pause is how much this Clark seems like an even bigger pathological liar than he usually is. I mean thats part of his character always has been. But this Clark doesn't like to tell anyone about anything. Why is the name "Kal-El" a secret? And telling Sam that he came clean to the boys when they actually caught him? How long has he known Lana? Makes me wonder if he really told Lois the truth like he said last episode, bet she really figured it out first, lol.

I actually kind of liked that he didn’t tell his kids anything. Despite how much writers portray Bruce as the secretive one, Clark is also very reclusive and reluctant to open up. That was one of the things I really enjoyed about Manupal’s Trinity, that he acknowledged and incorporated Clark’s reclusiveness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
    Same here, I'm hoping for revamped rogues from Supergirl (like Metallo, Parasite, Livewire, Hellgrammite, Master Jailer, Manchester Black and Toyman) to make an appearance and also introducing other lovable rogues like the Prankster, Bloodsport, Ultra-Humanite, Conduit, Kryptonite Man, etc.
    Conduit would actually work well here given the Kent family is back in Smallville.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

I actually kind of liked that he didn’t tell his kids anything. Despite how much writers portray Bruce as the secretive one, Clark is also very reclusive and reluctant to open up. That was one of the things I really enjoyed about Manupal’s Trinity, that he acknowledged and incorporated Clark’s reclusiveness.

Conduit would actually work well here given the Kent family is back in Smallville.
    Oh I totally agree, Clark was raised to believe that if his friends and neighbors knew what he really was, they'd either be endangered. Or maybe they'd snitch and the government would take him away to be dissected. Either way it makes sense that he'd become the way he is, when part of him feels safer when others don't know everything about him. Just thought it seemed a little more of it than I'm used to, thats all. But yeah makes sense that a network like CW would pick that up and run with it. Characters having secrets, drama, etc.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 03-03-2021 at 08:03 PM.

For me, when it comes to the default Superman relationship, Clark is like that one friend you had who was always nice to you and seemed to enjoy hanging out with you, but never invited you over to his house. You never really knew the guy beyond the surface level. I actually think most writers really undersell just how deflective Clark is. Despite his personality, Bruce has never gone long without a partner. Clark is the opposite: Despite his friendly public persona, he’s never worked with a partner for long. He’s a loner despite how people don’t think of him like that. Seeing him really struggle to open up emotionally is one of the character flaws that all the diverse variations of him seem to share.

I like seeing that show up via his failings as a dad.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I don't know if this is "normalizing" it though - the kid does have an anxiety disorder strong enough to require medication. I'm guessing he just can't hold his emotions in like a normal teen is capable of, and his parents know it. Family dynamics always have to adapt when mental or emotional disorders are thrown in the mix.
    I'm suddenly picturing Jordan in the ruins of Metropolis with his parents explaining to the JLA- "It's not his fault. He has anxiety issues"

I guess we're not going with the Johns thing where the glasses are partially to help rein in the Heat Vision. Will one of the Kent Boys start sporting glasses? Maybe if they actually become Superboy.

RIP Stranger's ship and suit. I guess at least Captain Luthor still has his AI?

Is Clark going into space and then falling going to be a once-an-episode thing?

I was actually wondering to myself if that scene outside a huge cave entrance in the flashback sequence was Clark proposing to Lois outside the Fortress, and it turns out it is. I did think it was a bit of a step down from the Supergirl Fortress where that was an actual Fortress, complete with Kelex, and had statues, trophies, etc., whereas this looks like a cave with a single room. Like, for all the budget that's the best they could come up with? They could've re-used the current Fortress set for that much. I mean, maybe it's just one room of the Fortress but it seems pretty low-scale compared to something that, honestly, Supergirl did pretty well.

I did think that Clark probably ran off and learned about his true Kryptonian heritage after Jonathan's funeral. That was my sense of how that happened.

Clark's relationship with this hologram Jor-El is such a 180 from Smallville. He firmly acknowledges Jor-El as his father and actually seems deferential to the hologram. I did get a bit of Bendis' Jor-El vibes with him being so giddy at the prospect of Jordan exhibiting his Kryptonian powers and the possibility that the House of El lineage truly continues.

You know Post-Crisis Morgan Edge is an even more evil businessman because he's British. He even looks like he has his own Mercy Graves with that lady in a bob.

Jon and Jordan face-palming at Lois pulling a Lois was priceless .

The Daily Planet looks so depressing. I mean, yeah, they're now owned by a possibly unscrupulous businessman, but it seems like all the good reporters (Perry, Clark, Lois, Cat, even Jimmy) are gone and its just a shell of itself .

Is Jimmy the only one who gets a signal watch? Like, wouldn't that be more covert than giving your kid what looks like a lighter?

So Captain Luthor was from a world where his Superman went evil, complete with the Elseworlds dark suit. I guess it goes to show how desperate the world was, and the kind of Luthor we're dealing with, that he was an on the ground grunt in the military instead of being, well, Lex Luthor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I'm suddenly picturing Jordan in the ruins of Metropolis with his parents explaining to the JLA- "It's not his fault. He has anxiety issues"
    Anxiety issues can give a pass to yelling - not killing. Worlds of difference...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post
    Both of the twins are half-kryptonian, it does not make sense that one would be completely human. Anyway, are they following the Supergirl arc where Lois gave birth on Kandor?

Also, Lana really looks like an older Elena from The Vampire Diaries.
    Emanuelle Chriqui is the Canadian-born daughter of Moroccan Jewish immigrants.

Nina Dobrev is Bulgarian.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Anxiety issues can give a pass to yelling - not killing. Worlds of difference...
    Not when both stem from a loss of emotional control. Understand, I am not arguing for a situation where Jordan sets out to do any damage, rather one where either he goes to do an innocuous act (say throwing a book at a wall in frustration) and his strength kicks in. Or like at the bonfire where Jordan's "ocular emission" comes out when he is upset.

A normal kid having an emotional outburst and a kid who has manifested superpowers doing the same- worlds of difference indeed..

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post
    Both of the twins are half-kryptonian, it does not make sense that one would be completely human.
    I wonder(no pun intended) if the twins need to be in proximity for Jordan’s powers to activate.
    Jonathan being there/in danger is the one thing his displays of power in the pilot have in common. Maybe if both brothers had been at the Fortress HoloGramp’s scans would have read differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I wonder(no pun intended) if the twins need to be in proximity for Jordan’s powers to activate.
    Jonathan being there/in danger is the one thing his displays of power in the pilot have in common. Maybe if both brothers had been at the Fortress HoloGramp’s scans would have read differently.
    I wondered the same thing.

I liked the second episode loads better than than the first, which I liked enough. I prefer my Kents as winners. Pounding Luther into the ground was much more fun than getting stabbed by Kryptonite. I'm glad they resisted Jon going whiny, his annoyance was mild really.

Also I noticed it said extended cut when I watched ep 2 on the CW app. Does it actually have more footage?

Another great episode. SFX and cinematography are still solid. Hope this show can keep it up. I like the focus on Lois and the kids in this one, fleshed them out a bit more than the pilot did.

Lois felt like classic Lois, a strong hard-headed reporter out to get the story. But at the same time she felt like a believable compassionate partner to Clark. She had some great moments in this episode. I think her joining the Smallville Gazette is going to make that newspaper explode. She'll be bringing her skills to a small town, which might mean more jobs if the Gazette can't handle the demand. Just what Kyle wanted.

Speaking of Kyle, I hope they flesh him out a bit more than "angry Trump supporter." He seemed more neutral in the pilot, now he's sliding into full blown jerk.

The kids felt a lot more balanced in this episode too. I'm enjoying their relationship with each other. They might have moments of jealousy, but they seem to truly care for each other. My only complaint, they could cut down on Jordan's "I'm going to yell at you and then run off." It's starting to get a bit tiresome.

I'm curious to see how the other plots play out with Superman/Luthor and Jordan's mysterious powers. Consider me entertained.
    Last edited by StrikeJP; 03-04-2021 at 07:53 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I'm glad they resisted Jon going whiny, his annoyance was mild really.
    Jon was a borderline saint this episode. The kid had his whole life uprooted, his future plans as a professional athlete put at risk, left his girlfriend behind, spent the day getting bullied for something he didn't even do, and has to deal with the fact that his super powered dad is now sharing an aspect of his life exclusively with his brother....yet he's still nothing but happy and supportive and playful with his brother, and the biggest sign of frustration and annoyance he can muster is a bit of yelling for a single scene. Then he ends it all off by reminding his brother that he knows him the best, thinks he's special, and will be there for him even if his AI grandpa doesn't think he's special.

Last episode I was honestly kind of wondering if they were going to make Jon into kind of a cocky dick for the whole show. The script for the first episode didn't fully get across just how nice a brother he was. It made it seem like he'd do things for his brother begrudgingly. But in reality he's the only person in the show that doesn't treat Jordan like he's made of glass (punching his arm, teasing him) yet he's also the most protective and supportive of him (encouraging him with Sarah, reminding him to take his meds, trying to save his life without even thinking, making sure he doesn't feel guilty about getting him bullied).

So when Jordan throws a fit about clearly having powers but them not being as stable or powerful as his dad's I find it really hard to sympathize with him. And how each preview seems to make sure to show him yelling at someone (usually his dad). I'm more than sympatric towards his mental health needs and particularly hard time in his life, but he's a character with some serious inward gazing tunnel vision, and when juxtaposed next to his selfless mom, dad, and even brother, it's really hard to root for him as of right now. Like, dude, your dad just took you flying, and you can shoot lasers from your eyes. Chill.

That said, it's very sweet that the boys come together in the end, and you can really see the appreciation and love in Jordan's eyes at the end.

I'm assuming Jordan's powers are based off his emotional state. His meds may even be messing with his power expression? Or His powers are some how linked to Jon. A friend made the guess that Jon acts as almost a battery for Jordan. Maybe since they're twins that's how their Kryptonian DNA works?

Still a fantastic episode though.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Episode 2. Things I liked:

The first action sequence with Luthor and Superman was really good. It felt big in scale like Superman is supposed to be. Very atmospheric and the suit looked great.

I like Jordan and Jon's relationship. I like their banter. I like it than they love each other, but are also honest about their feelings.

I like the main cast and their relationships, but I want to see more Clark and Lois having romantic moments and more fun together.

What I didn't like:

Ep 2 felt too grounded a times and too dark. The scenes inside the house looked too dark and spooky. Are they afraid of some light and color? I like my Superman with more light and color.

The Fortress sucked! What a let down honestly. That wasn't a real place of wonder and advanced technology. It looked like a big igloo, like an ice cave.. Even Supergirl has a more interesting FOS. At least Jor-El looked good, and he had a beard. I really hope they improve this Fortress because that was boring. We didn't even see Clark flying with Jordan. I wanted to see the look on his son's face in that moment. Like Lois with Superman.

Lana's daughter. Don't hate her, but she's not interesting to me.

I don't know, but this Luthor is missing something. The charisma. He's just there so far. I like my Lex with a swagger.

Also, I guess that was confirmation Jordan is half Kryptonian. Maybe half breeds take longer to develop powers? Maybe Jordan's powers only appear when he is very stressed out? They have to have some powers, both of them eventurally. I really want too, otherwise, it's boring.

I'll give the pilot a solid 'A'

And episode 2 a 'B+'
    Last edited by stargazer01; 03-04-2021 at 09:38 AM.

BANNED

Gosh, I guess i am maybe in the minority but I loved this Fortress. The idea that it’s more of a beautiful cave vs. the Donner inspired ice castle felt very fresh to me. It reminded me of Man of Steel’s take on the fortress which I’m happy about because I think the Donner inspired fortress, while lovely, has certainly had plenty of spotlight in media given its what Smallville used as well.