Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default What if Lois turned evil?

Superman gets killed, so Lois freaks out, somehow gets super powers, and becomes dictator of Earth.

That was pretty much the exact plot of the Dark Multiverse Death of Superman book.

Good characters being turned evil has been done to death. It's not new or shocking or revolutionary. It rarely sticks, and frankly, I don't like it whether or not it sticks. I didn't like it the first time. It's very rarely in-character or consistent with prior actions, typically being done for shock value. But, even when it's not that, it's not my thing. For me, the point of superheroes is good triumphing over evil. That's what I'm here to see. While I'll grant that Lois is not a superhero (and I don't want her to be one), the same rule basically holds for supporting characters. Don't turn good ones bad (and don't bring back old, long-gone ones just to kill or torture them).
    Last edited by Tzigone; 11-13-2021 at 05:38 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

She has single handedly taken dow the entire justice league.it will be the end of the world as we know it.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    That was pretty much the exact plot of the Dark Multiverse Death of Superman book.

I kind of wish they'd done more with this premise. Maybe make it a mini-series.
    Assassinate Putin!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I kind of wish they'd done more with this premise. Maybe make it a mini-series.
    And I thought my dumb idea was original!

Injustice: Reporters Among Us.

In Gene Luen Yang's "Batman/Superman" run, Lois Lane is the leading crime lord of Metropolis in a world where Kal-El died before landing on Earth. She goes by "the Spider Lady," which is a reference to the villain of the 1948 Superman film serial. The serial's Spider Lady didn't resemble Noel Neil's Lois that much, but she disguises herself as Lois at one point, and I guess making the alternate Lois a version of the Spider Lady was a way to keep the past alive - something Yang is excellent at doing!

Funnily enough though, when Superman arrives in her world, despite being too nervous about her safety to ask out the Lois Lane of his own world, he seems rather smitten with the Spider Lady, and they mack on each other a bit at the end of this year's "Batman/Superman Annual" in a story drawn by the legendary Francesco Francavilla!

Anyway, I digress.

The main thing I like about Lois Lane as The Spider Lady is that since she never met Superman, his death doesn't play a direct role in the trauma that led her to become a crime boss, and also, she doesn't have, or need, any powers at all to be the most feared woman in Metropolis, maybe in her entire world! And we know from the serial of course that the Spider Lady's wits are a match for Superman as well, so Lois could just as easily have been a villain in Superman's world if she turned to crime before he moved to town, which to me is a fun idea!

I hate that villainy and powers are tied together thematically in the idea scape of heroes-going-bad. To me, Lois-as-Spider-Lady is a hundred times more interesting than that Evil Super-Lois Dark Multiverse story, personally.
    Last edited by Adekis; 11-14-2021 at 04:26 PM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    In Gene Luen Yang's "Batman/Superman" run, Lois Lane is the leading crime lord of Metropolis in a world where Kal-El died before landing on Earth. She goes by "the Spider Lady," which is a reference to the villain of the 1948 Superman film serial. The serial's Spider Lady didn't resemble Noel Neil's Lois that much, but she disguises herself as Lois at one point, and I guess making the alternate Lois a version of the Spider Lady was a way to keep the past alive - something Yang is excellent at doing!

Funnily enough though, when Superman arrives in her world, despite being too nervous about her safety to ask out the Lois Lane of his own world, he seems rather smitten with the Spider Lady, and they mack on each other a bit at the end of this year's "Batman/Superman Annual" in a story drawn by the legendary Francesco Francavilla!

Anyway, I digress.

The main thing I like about Lois Lane as The Spider Lady is that since she never met Superman, his death doesn't play a direct role in the trauma that led her to become a crime boss, and also, she doesn't have, or need, any powers at all to be the most feared woman in Metropolis, maybe in her entire world! And we know from the serial of course that the Spider Lady's wits are a match for Superman as well, so Lois could just as easily have been a villain in Superman's world if she turned to crime before he moved to town, which to me is a fun idea!

I hate that villainy and powers are tied together thematically in the idea scape of heroes-going-bad. To me, Lois-as-Spider-Lady is a hundred times more interesting than that Evil Super-Lois Dark Multiverse story, personally.
    Good arguement!

If I never see a Evil Superman story again it will be too soon.

That said, a novelty I think it would be interesting to see, is a story where the main character go to another universe, the future or whatever and when they say to the evil superman "Lois would be ashamed of you", she comes out behing the curtain or whatever and says "actually I'm 100% with him".

It's always Superman who goes evil because he lost Lois or she who leaves him because he turned evil, seeing a superman going evil and Lois staying by his side, agreeing with what he is doing would be really new.

But again, evil superman should be banned until after my death.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

To be fair, I don't necessarily see the Tales of the Multiverse story as more of a Punisher Lois rather than an actual villain.
    Assassinate Putin!

She would become Leopard Girl and probably a Wonder Woman rogue.

There was also the short story in the Multiverse who laughs. Also, remember the evil "Lois" from the Loeb McGuinness era.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    There was also the short story in the Multiverse who laughs. Also, remember the evil "Lois" from the Loeb McGuinness era.
    Ah, the time Parasite hooked up with Luthor. Loeb’s run was something.

At first I took the title to mean an E3 Lois Lane who was always evil and I was imagining an E3 Lois Lane who was an Ann Coulter type who pisses everyone off.