Page 51 of 127 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

The fact that (in this serries) it looks like Jordan will have powers, bur Jonathan won't, reminded me of an old imaginary story. I had read about it, but never had a chance to read it. I looked it up. Superman #166 "the fantastic story of Superman's sons". The one with powers was named Jor.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by llozymandias View Post
    The fact that (in this serries) it looks like Jordan will have powers, bur Jonathan won't, reminded me of an old imaginary story. I had read about it, but never had a chance to read it. I looked it up. Superman #166 "the fantastic story of Superman's sons". The one with powers was named Jor.
    That was a great story. I'd love to see this show take a few notes from that story when it comes to Jonathan dealing with not being a potential Superman.

Also reminds me of Superman/Batman: Generations which was also inspired by a Silver Age story. That story had Joel and Kara as Clark and Lois's children. Joel didn't have superpowers because he was exposed to gold kryptonite while in Lois's womb. He grew resentful of his sister Kara and eventually became a villain and a pawn of Luthor.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Some takeaways from #SupermanAndLois season 1 episode 5 (spoilers)
    1. It finally happened: Jonathan snapped.

And it's about time. Nobody, especially not a teenager, could take all the compounding Ls the kid did for 5 episodes (moving to a new city, losing all his old friends, getting benched, watching his brother steal his football thunder, not having any powers, getting dumped, etc) and NOT act out in some way.

And he acted out in the most teenage way possible, by getting caught drunk in public.

But it should be noted once he ruined Jordan's night with Sara at the Harvest Festival, Jonathan immediately (tho still too late) recognized his mistake and apologized. This was his highlight episode so far, and badly needed.

2. Martha!

Too often in Superverse lore, the fathers get too much of the credit for Clark/Kal.

With his Kryptonian parents, it's a complete blowout: Jor-El alone referred to by Kal 100 times before his mother Lara Lor-Van gets any unique mention.

It's a little better with his Terrestrial parents, as Martha (maiden name Clark) Kent typically outlives Jonathan Kent Senior anywhere from a few seconds to a few decades. But she is primarily only a source of comfort and not a source of wisdom as her often-late husband gets to be.

This episode she got to be both. Hope we get more of her in flashbacks set a little closer to the present. Glad she got a bench.

3. Clark and Lois' best episode yet as parents.

I don't want to imagine what would happened to me if my folks had managed to catch me underage-drinking in high school while in public to boot. Safe bet they wouldn't have handled it as nicely as Clark and Lois did.

They're not easy pushovers but they're not strict disciplinarians either. They can get righteously angry but realize in the moment there is more to gain by not bringing down the hammer.

He even offers Jonathan a potential way back to Metropolis if he gives Smallville a honest chance.

I thought Clark in particular meted out parental justice extremely well, considering ...

4. Young Clark was a selfish jerk.

This. More of this.

Clark is good, but he is not, was not, and never should be a saint. He has messed up. Constantly. And this episode showed that he had learned from those past screw-ups and didn't repeat the cycle.

5. Nighttime Superman!

This still takes some getting used to. I've never seen Superman operate under the shadow of darkness like this before. It's about as weird as seeing Batman in broad daylight. The setting goes against the brand.

But unlike Ol' Pointy Ears, Clark can act in full power, day or night. Loved the night chase, with Clark putting out fires at superspeed, and flying thru cornfields. Reminded me of both MAN OF STEEL and SUPERMAN IV (in a good way).

6. Tyler Hoechlin takes the championship belt.

Christopher Reeve is still untouchable as my favorite Live-Action (costumed) Superman.

But Live-Action Clark Kent? That's all Tyler Hoechlin's spot now.

Of the 14 men so far who have played the role over the last 80+ years, he is already hands-down the most likeable and relatable and adorkable Clark Kent ever.

7. Captain Luthor is a smooth criminal.

I was impressed that this Luthor was able to connect with Lois so naturally.

And then we see why: on his Earth, he was married to Lois, who was killed by his evil Superman. Got to be a gut-punch to see any version of your spouse happily married to someone else.

I'm more convinced now that Captain Luthor is actually much more a misguided hero than a villain, and won't be the season's big bad at all. He's definitely one to watch.

8. Clark Kent the Journalist no longer matters.

Not really about this episode, but between 1) this show having him laid off to become an assistant HS coach and 2) the DCEU Clark Kent officially killed off at the same time Superman died and 3) Clark revealing his identity to the world and universe in the current comix.

It's never been more clear than Clark doesn't need to be a reporter or in the news media at all. Lois Lane absolutely has to, but not Clark.

9. The Langs are still there, but not useless. Kyle is ultimately a good dude (firefighter who does actively risk his life to save others) with a very punchable face and a drinking problem.

Sara put drunk-ass Jonathan right in his place (her best scene in the series, so far , by far).

Lana is ... good for exposition, I guess. Still not feeling her character.

10. Freaks of the Week.

Superman doesn't necessarily need someone to hit every night. But it sure helps what when he does, they are not disposable freaks of the Week that the old show SMALLVILLE got saddled with.

Hopefully, SAL gets access to the real Superman rogues gallery like Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Zod/Faora, Doomsday, Mongul, Metallo, Bizarro, Lady Blaze, Maxima, Mxyzptlk, Parasite, etc.

Next week: Nothing ��. On hiatus till May.

Grade: 8/10.
    I think this is rapidly turning into the most realistic take on Superman ever. I keep saying this but I almost want them to take it out of the Arrow-verse. Let it be a fresh start to a new universe. For years we were told that you couldn't do a realistic Superman because he was too powerful. This show proves that's not true. I have a hard time reconciling this with things like Legends. I guess we'll find out tonight how connected they are when Supergirl returns. If she still has blue heat vision, then we'll know they are going their own path. The Fortress on her show already looks different from the one on this one.
    Assassinate Putin!

I don’t know if “realistic” is the right word so much as “grounded”. The show does a fantastic job of merging real world concerns with superheroics. It’s a story about a megaconglomerate buying up small towns for its own purpose, but it’s because the small towns secretly hold magical space rocks that grant superpowers. Yet it’s still a story about the death of Middle America underneath all that, as well as one family’s struggles to hold together in the midst of all that change.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think Supergirl and Superman & Lois are wisely going to be ignoring each other. This makes sense, Supergirl is ending its run and shouldn't have to waste any of its episodes or budget trying to explain why Superman isn't showing up. It's pretty clear Superman & Lois are existing in their own little world anyway.

I never thought I'd see suicide by Heat Vision. Jeez .
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I've come to realize the more realistic a take on Superman something is, the more ridiculous the the double L alliteration looks. Leslie Larr? Really? I saw the promo for the season premier of Supergirl and it just made me think that these two shows shouldn't even be in the same universe. I thought Cryer's Lex was the best one since Rosenbaum but he just comes across as a cartoon character now. And that fortress isn't the one from S&L. So I'm not sure how they're going to make this work. It wouldn't break my heart if they tried to distance themselves from the rest of the Arrow-verse as much as possible. It's not like I'm watching the other shows anyway. Still not liking the freak-of-the-week plotlines but at least there seems to be a semi-plausible explanation for them now. Edge seems to be making them. I'm more convinced than ever that Edge knows Clark is Superman and came to Smallville specifically for that reason.
    Cryer's as hammy as comic Luthor.
    The flashbacks were great and I hope we get more of them. I get a very Smallville vibe from them. My only complaint would be the kid in them looks too scrawny to be a young Clark but Hoechlin himself isn't exactly super-buff either so I guess it works for the theme of the show. Of course it doesn't help that Welling looked like a young Christopher Reeve. I'm also more convinced than ever that Captain Luthor came from Earth 3 with him being married to Lois there. His cover story was very convincing. The B plots involving the kids and their girlfriends is a bit distracting. So is Lana and her drunken husband. I know they're trying to go for a small town theme here but the Friday Night Lights thing gets old fast. I just hope they're building towards something like Kyle gets powers and has to fight Superman or something like that.
    I could really relate to what Sara was going through with Kyle, personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Me, after seeing that Captain Luthor reveal: "Are we sure this guy isn't an alternate universe Metallo?"
    I wonder if they didn't make him Metallo because Luthor is a bigger name and he's meant to be way more smart and resourceful than Corben is usually depicted as.
    Do want to comment on Chrissy, though. She seems to be getting some of that Lois Lane energy, and that's always great to see. Also, Edge and Larr are apparently trying to revive someone using X-Kryptonite and... possession?. I wonder if it's Zod, or Xa-Du. The evil Superman from Captain Luthor's world might not even be Superman, after all.
    I've seen speculation that they're using bodies to house Kryptonian spirits, and that's how they get the powers. I guess it would explain why Larr was making out with the guy, she was making out with the guy inside his body.

Plus he's talking about Clark as "Kal-El," and that would only make sense from a Kryptonian.
    Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    Well Sara did just banish Jor to the Friend Zone. Plus she likes guys with issues. Jor is becoming popular and well adjusted. Jon's world is crashing around him. So yeah, Sara will want to get together with Jon, causing conflict with Jor.
    To be honest, with all of Sara's emotional issues, I think it's better that she has a friend than enter a relationship before she gets her own life in order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    But I'm not. That's not even the root of my issue, but rather a fact that becomes somewhat annoying when coupled with my root issue. My issue is the lopsided focus and strong likelihood of Jon being used as more of a foil than I think should be the case given the lopsided focus.

The fact that Jordan has aspects of Jon grafted onto him then only stings because there doesn't feel like there's an equal pull towards Jon in terms of focus and story outlets.

I haven't written the show off yet by any means. I still love it and am grateful for it, but there are some potential red flags-- as far as my personal enjoyment goes-- that I'm seeing that I hope are avoided in some way. Like, there is a really cool way to do a drug allegory for Jon, but I NEED focus on him and his perspective so that it's not just ultimately in service of emotional conflict for Jordan or even Clark. I don't want to have to wait for the odd numbed episode out of half a dozen just to get the implication of his perspective when he's not just main cast, but literally the third name listed in the cast. I have a stronger handle on Sarah's trajectory as a character than I do Jon, and I don't get why that is.
    I feel like things being so lopsided against Jon is deliberate so that there will eventually be a swerve towards him getting his powers and becoming, more or less, the "real" Superboy of the show.

Could Edge be "freeing" Kryptonian criminals from S&L's version of the Phantom Zone? It'd be a different take on that but it doesn't seem that far afield and seems slightly more grounded in Superman lore than actually resurrecting dead Kryptonians.

I only recently caught up on this show and it's so much better than I had hoped. It seems like they are actually taking some steps toward addressing some of the pre-production issues that were identified. Luthor (I think it's Earth 3ish Luthor, particularly with that Lois reveal) does not seem to be a pure antagonist. Lois' got some great stuff in the second and fourth episodes. They are doing so much better with the kids than I expected. I really really hope they keep up the quality.

Feels like a safe bet that the Phantom Zone would be involved. Either that or the souls of the Kryptonians have bonded with the Kryptonite somehow. Saw an interesting theory that Edge himself is possessed, perhaps by Zod.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I thought to myself whether that big yellow crystal thing might be connected to the Phantom Zone.

I don't know if Edge is already possessed but I wouldn't be surprised if a Zod-possessed human is the final boss.

I see the producers are getting in on the holiday spirit:

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/sup...win-daughters/
    Assassinate Putin!

I see the producers are getting in on the holiday spirit:

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/sup...win-daughters/
    That actually got me for a bit. Almost came to post it and then remembered it was April 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think Supergirl and Superman & Lois are wisely going to be ignoring each other. This makes sense, Supergirl is ending its run and shouldn't have to waste any of its episodes or budget trying to explain why Superman isn't showing up. It's pretty clear Superman & Lois are existing in their own little world anyway.
    The premiere of Supergirl confirms that S&L is its own universe. Martian Manhunter is still in Supergirl despite being killed off in the pilot episode of S&L.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    The premiere of Supergirl confirms that S&L is its own universe. Martian Manhunter is still in Supergirl despite being killed off in the pilot episode of S&L.
    Um...when did that happen? I don't remember that.
    Assassinate Putin!

Um...when did that happen? I don't remember that.
    bad joke about the random J'onn as Martha scene in the snyder cut, sounded funnier in my head.