Page 78 of 127 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 1897
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I don't believe he's dead they left it open ended with that mysterious circumstances line
    Yeah, much like the comics version of John Henry Irons, I think it's very likely that Earth-Prime's John Henry is in hiding after discovering that his technology was being used for nefarious purposes. So, they could easily kill off the Alt-Earth John Henry while simultaneously retaining the actor and character, but with a new twist.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

When John Henry Irons was pulling a Batfleck and was about to kill Superman, Clark could've namedrop "Natalie" out of nowhere to stop him.

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 06-03-2021 at 05:29 AM.

Great episode. Bitsie acted her ass off this episode. She makes a great Lois.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    When John Henry Irons was pulling a Batfleck and was about to kill Superman, Clark could've namedrop "Natalie" out of nowhere to stop him.

Yet jn both cases,it was Lois who stepped in and stopped the skewering.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Yeah, much like the comics version of John Henry Irons, I think it's very likely that Earth-Prime's John Henry is in hiding after discovering that his technology was being used for nefarious purposes. So, they could easily kill off the Alt-Earth John Henry while simultaneously retaining the actor and character, but with a new twist.
    I love this show, but if we end up getting a season with a "Sherloque Henry Irons" I may have to sit that one out, lol.

BANNED

So. Want to say something. On a different thread earlier this week (prior to this episode airing) I said very clearly that I felt no one at DC Comics was equipped to sensitively address infertility issues with Lois and Clark within their marriage and that, unless both the creatives and the fandom got a heck of a lot more educated, sensitive and mature that those topics should be off limits for Superman comics. I completely stand by my comment. And I also want to praise Superman and Lois for clearly putting in the effort with this episode with the portrayal of PTSD and grief after late term miscarriage.

To say that miscarriage is an underrepresented and taboo topic in media is the understatement of the year. This topic is rarely ever addressed on TV and, unfortunately, in the rare instances where it is, it’s handled extremely poorly.

This was not one of those occasions. The therapy scenes were extremely familiar and real. The rhetoric was CORRECT. And Elizabeth Tulloch’s portrayal of grief and self-blame for her loss was extremely relatable and on point. I give kudos to the female team that spear headed this episode: it was written by a woman, directed by a woman and obviously the conversation in the therapy office was between two women. This is a good example of what we mean when we say that representation matters and that it MATTERS having women both with the pen and behind the camera and not just in front of it.

I also felt the show did a good job of showing the subtle ways Clark himself was triggered by the grief and his immediate recognition that this was bad and that Lois needed to talk to someone and it was OK if it wasn’t him.

My hope is that the show doesn’t just drop this topic forever. They lost a child and that’s something that stays with you forever in a marriage. Well done to the show.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    So. Want to say something. On a different thread earlier this week (prior to this episode airing) I said very clearly that I felt no one at DC Comics was equipped to sensitively address infertility issues with Lois and Clark within their marriage and that, unless both the creatives and the fandom got a heck of a lot more educated, sensitive and mature that those topics should be off limits for Superman comics. I completely stand by my comment. And I also want to praise Superman and Lois for clearly putting in the effort with this episode with the portrayal of PTSD and grief after late term miscarriage.

To say that miscarriage is an underrepresented and taboo topic in media is the understatement of the year. This topic is rarely ever addressed on TV and, unfortunately, in the rare instances where it is, it’s handled extremely poorly.

This was not one of those occasions. The therapy scenes were extremely familiar and real. The rhetoric was CORRECT. And Elizabeth Tulloch’s portrayal of grief and self-blame for her loss was extremely relatable and on point. I give kudos to the female team that spear headed this episode: it was written by a woman, directed by a woman and obviously the conversation in the therapy office was between two women. This is a good example of what we mean when we say that representation matters and that it MATTERS having women both with the pen and behind the camera and not just in front of it.

I also felt the show did a good job of showing the subtle ways Clark himself was triggered by the grief and his immediate recognition that this was bad and that Lois needed to talk to someone and it was OK if it wasn’t him.

My hope is that the show doesn’t just drop this topic forever. They lost a child and that’s something that stays with you forever in a marriage. Well done to the show.
    Agreed on every single point. My only worry is how they're going to keep up with this level of quality. I really don't want this show to devolve into a freak-of-the-week type of formula.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Agreed on every single point. My only worry is how they're going to keep up with this level of quality. I really don't want this show to devolve into a freak-of-the-week type of formula.
    Me either. The feedback from critics seems to consistently hammer home that the family drama is the strongest aspect of the series and that seems to be the part Tyler and Elizabeth are most committed to so I guess we just have to really hope that the writers stay on point.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Yet jn both cases,it was Lois who stepped in and stopped the skewering.
    I thought that too while watching the scene.

It keeps the trend of having most of the action sequences on the show inspired by previous SM movies' scenes.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I continue to be gobsmacked by this show and it continues to exceed my expectations in terms of acting,writing and production.

This episode belonged to Lois and Bitsie deserves mega props for her work here. I really believe this was Emmy winning level acting here. She's a phenomenal actress that's finally getting her place to shine. Her interpretation of Lois Lane is quickly becoming my favorite live action illeration,full stop. The miscarriage angle I didn't see coming and was a risky topic that in lesser hands could have either could have come off edgy and dark for the sake of it,or corny and unrealistic after-school special vibe. This felt realistic and believable and adds new layers to Lois, Clark and the Kent family at large.

Once again this team of writers and producers really know Superman's lore and aren't afraid to pull in deep cuts and obscure little nuggets from across the various incarnations. I mean,who would have ever thought an obscure two episode villain from season one of Lois and Clark (Trask) would see a reference? Yeah an entirely different character here and we probably won't see him again,but it was neat all the same. The nods to BvS and the infamous Martha scene was hard to miss,but it didn't come off as a parody or a swipe and worked perfectly for the story told. Frankly I'm just glad that this show acknowledges there is more to reference from Superman's history beyond the Donner/Salkind movies.

As for John Henry Irons future, I see two possibilities given they made it a point to mention that Arrowverse earth JHI died under mysterious circumstances.

Either:

A) This JHI helps Superman,Lois and General Lane in stopping "Edge's " plan and dies in the process. However, the actor will continue onward as the "real" JHI from this earth and in season 2 resurfaces as an ally of Superman's in the guise of a more traditional STEEL.

Or,

B) This Earth's JHI IS indeed dead and upon helping save the world from "Edge's" plans and unable to return home,the DOD basically allows Irons to take up the identity of this Earth's Irons and after some soul searching, he eventually forgives and starts to form a friendship with this Clark and eventually takes up the STEEL mantle to help Superman fight his never ending battle.

Also,notice that I keep putting quotes around "EDGE". He's not Morgan Edge. He's either General Zod,Jax-Ur or even a version of Xa-Du the Phantom King. At least that's my theory...
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 06-03-2021 at 11:25 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Ep. 8 ratings: 900k/0,1

Viewership up from the previous ep., but down in the 18-49 demo.

Source: https://programminginsider.com/tuesd...bc-to-victory/

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I kind of wonder if we aren't going to find out down the line that the boys are the result of some sort of fertility treatment that Lois underwent. Treatment she obviously wouldn't have been on when she was pregnant with Natalie. Since the miscarriage happened after the boys were already born. The comics have toyed with this idea on occasion with that Armageddon 2001 storyline where Lois dies from a miscarriage.
    Assassinate Putin!

I also found it great how well this was handled. Having gone through this with my wife, I was worried when it was brought up in the therapy session. Yet it was done with grace and emotion, which is extremely rare. Now we have two boys and a healthy family. This made me love the show even more. We could really related to what Lois and Clark are going through.

I really am blown away at just how great this show is. My wife and I are hooked. Bitsy is easily my favorite Lois. Hoechlin is quickly becoming my favorite Superman. I just can say enough good things about this show.

http://thebitterscriptreader.blogspo...reveal-on.html

This is an interesting blog post from the guy who actually came up with the idea of having “Captain Luthor” be revealed as John Henry Irons. He works as a writer on the show.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

This series is the best thing that has happened to Superman in this century, but there are 2 things that I don't like.
    1:It is so difficult to make a series in which lois does not go out with everyone, I do not care if it is the lois of the canon universe or a parallel one, lois is the love interest of superman, not of all dc.
    2:clark loses even in his own series, I guess steel >>> superman in this universe.