Page 49 of 127 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Maybe. Maybe not. I don’t buy the two are totally unconnected. I don’t really see why they couldn’t have waited to debut the show in May except that they wanted Superman content out there that wasn’t Snyder’s. Just a gut feeling I have.
    Okay. I don't think they're related, but nothing hurts to believe in gut feelings I guess.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Probably the weakest episode yet.

The Clark flashbacks were neat, Lois' investigation converging with the main plot is great, Cap Luthor's connection to Lois was played very well by the actor even beforehand, and the chase at the end was cool.

By far the weakest part of the episode was just how underserved Jon's issues were.

But what really sucks is that my worst fears seem to be getting foreshadowed pretty heavily. That kid's going to take a turn, and they're going to expect me as a viewer to either be just as sympathetic towards Jordan as I am with Jon when they clash, or to have less sympathy for Jon during said clash because of what he'll do at some point, and to that I say f%&k you show. Just because you show me Jordan coming up for air this one time from being inside his rectum for so long doesn't erase the selfish little jerk he's been till now. And just because you show me the normally selfless Jon acting like tool for literally 5 seconds a pop after a really bad day doesn't make him a jerk.

And like I get the parallels that are being attempted between Clark and Jon here, but they don't actually work. Clark was dealing with a very specific issue that made him feel like he didn't want to *just* be Clark anymore. Jon isn't dealing with that. Jon isn't dealing with anything like that. He's not pushing his family or identity away. If anything, he's been doing even more for his family and those around him since the move. The issue now is self care, and not feeling heard or appreciated (which, frankly, he isn't).

So then my question becomes: what's his arc? What's the thing that he needs to learn to be a better person in the same way Clark needed to learn that he couldn't run from himself and his hurt, or how Jordan needs to learn to be less self serving and more outgoing? He's not even full of himself or in need of a lesson in humility. What's the arc here?

Seems like they'll have to create a problem that he'll then need to overcome. That's where I'm guessing the going down a dark path comes in. And from there it'll be redemption, and then the show will have lost me.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Funny, this was probably my favorite so far. I really enjoyed the flashbacks and got a chuckle out of the “high end” 32” box TVs being stolen. I liked seeing Jon being human. And I loved seeing how Clark handled that bad behavior. It all tied together really well for me.

I wouldn’t spend too much time worrying about what might happen. So far, they’ve handled the Jon and Jordan dynamic in a more sophisticated way than I expected. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Okay. I don't think they're related, but nothing hurts to believe in gut feelings I guess.
    Either way what’s done is done. Nothing to do but wait and hope the long gap doesn’t hurt the show.
    Last edited by Vordan; 03-23-2021 at 10:17 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I like Jordan and his "not girlfriend" less and less every episode, I think making twins was a terrible mistake. The show should have just been Jon learning his powers. Maybe needing to give up football since he was so unfairly advantaged, and getting dumped could have been the shows "drama" I think Superlad is right, this triangle of depression wont go anywhere good. I see this show crashing at some point in the near future for "drama".

As much as I dislike Jordan, wow, Lana's kid I'd straight up walk the other way if I saw her in the hall. Even with superpowers he must be getting whiplash from her flip flopping. I don't even think I'd have continued after she flirted with me made fun of my brother and invited me to a party to pull me aside and then get dive bombed by the boyfriend.

At this point I wish there were no kids and this was a normal Superman show. I really don't think Clark and Lois handled the problems Jon had this episode at all. Worst part is seeing where we are headed, I'm starting to view the kids (half the show) as waisted screen time. That's a bad sign.

It really shouldn't be hard for them to turn it around. Honestly, Jon's good looking, friendly, socially adept. What would actually happen if he stayed is he would keep making friends and get a cute girlfriend. What the show will do is probably not that. And how he go from being a phenom who started as a freshman in a huge school to bench warmer who gets no respect in a tiny little small town high school is beyond me.

I like the potential of a lot of villains being able to physically threaten Superman. Maybe we will get lucky and the last few episodes of the season will be a big blowout with no room for the teens.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I've come to realize the more realistic a take on Superman something is, the more ridiculous the the double L alliteration looks. Leslie Larr? Really? I saw the promo for the season premier of Supergirl and it just made me think that these two shows shouldn't even be in the same universe. I thought Cryer's Lex was the best one since Rosenbaum but he just comes across as a cartoon character now. And that fortress isn't the one from S&L. So I'm not sure how they're going to make this work. It wouldn't break my heart if they tried to distance themselves from the rest of the Arrow-verse as much as possible. It's not like I'm watching the other shows anyway. Still not liking the freak-of-the-week plotlines but at least there seems to be a semi-plausible explanation for them now. Edge seems to be making them. I'm more convinced than ever that Edge knows Clark is Superman and came to Smallville specifically for that reason.

The flashbacks were great and I hope we get more of them. I get a very Smallville vibe from them. My only complaint would be the kid in them looks too scrawny to be a young Clark but Hoechlin himself isn't exactly super-buff either so I guess it works for the theme of the show. Of course it doesn't help that Welling looked like a young Christopher Reeve. I'm also more convinced than ever that Captain Luthor came from Earth 3 with him being married to Lois there. His cover story was very convincing. The B plots involving the kids and their girlfriends is a bit distracting. So is Lana and her drunken husband. I know they're trying to go for a small town theme here but the Friday Night Lights thing gets old fast. I just hope they're building towards something like Kyle gets powers and has to fight Superman or something like that.
    Assassinate Putin!

Mighty Member

I've been waiting for Jon to have some selfishness, and it's perfectly natural as he has been COMPLETELY selfless and this was the one time that when he was upset with his family it felt more genuine than just being angry for his brother's sake (learning his dad was Superman or learning that his dad was listening in on him he didn't seem as mad as Jordan was). Now the question is, will his brother Jordan be as helpful and stick up for Jon as Jon did for Jordan.

I'm also curious that Captain Luthor doesn't seem to wonder about his alternate universe version (if he is Lex). They have to be COMPLETELY different physically since Lois didn't recognize him as Lex.

Incredible Member

Me, after seeing that Captain Luthor reveal: "Are we sure this guy isn't an alternate universe Metallo?"

Other than that, Lois has great stuff all around in the series and in this episode, but I'm worried she won't get much of anything with her sons. She's had more meaningful interactions with Kyle than with either of them. She would have been a better choice to parallel with Jon in this episode (even assuming there's nothing in her backstory to compare with Jon, her current situation is far more similar than Clark's flashbacks). Didn't like that Clark unilaterally decided to let Jon off for getting drunk, either.

Speaking of mothers and sons, liked the flashbacks to Martha and young Clark. Sure, dialog seemed like it was minimizing Martha's role in his upbringing compared to Jonathan's at times, but it was always framed as unfair. I couldn't help but see it as a criticism of how Superman stories often ignore Martha and Lara in favor of telling you how important Jonathan and Jor-El are to Clark/Kal becoming Superman. Between her strength to let go of her wishes so Clark could pursue his destiny, Clark's recognition of how selfish he was at the time, and the constant reminders of how much she helped everyone in Smallville, I'm liking how she (and not Jonathan or Jor-El) is clearly the most important parental figure for Clark in this show.

Lana seems to pop out everywhere. Seems like the show is building her up as this generation's Martha Kent. Unfortunately, I still don't think she has a particular role in the story, at least not one as clearly defined as her husband's (who was great here) or her daughter's.

As for Jordan and Jon... everyone else has already commented on them and I mostly agree.

Do want to comment on Chrissy, though. She seems to be getting some of that Lois Lane energy, and that's always great to see. Also, Edge and Larr are apparently trying to revive someone using X-Kryptonite and... possession?. I wonder if it's Zod, or Xa-Du. The evil Superman from Captain Luthor's world might not even be Superman, after all.

Overall, liked the episode. Hopefully it keeps up the quality after the hiatus.

Another solid episode some thoughts
    Yeah I agree with everyone saying this Captain Luthor guy probably should have been an alternate John Corben. That would have made much more sense.
    Does Sam live in Metropolis? If he wants to wrestle more control of the family from Clark (or more control of Clark from the family), all he'd have to do is offer to take Jonathan in.
    The more likable Kyle gets, the more annoying his daughter gets. Still think he's not surviving the season.
    young Clark as Superboy was interesting to see. As an adult he seemed like he was trying not to do any heroics in town or else people would get suspicious. But this one he's been saving burning buildings and smashing through silos and crops. Seems like Kyle's starting to notice somethings up.
    Everyone's always getting drunk in this show, even the kids (poor Clark).
    Glad that Tag thing is heating up, I like the brothers but their story hasn't really gone much of anywhere until now.
    In defense of criticism of lack of Lois focus, it seems like her story with Morgan Edge is becoming the A plot of season. Instead of Clark's with Luthor who seems less and less like the real villain. Or whatever thats going on with the boys and Tag, thats probably going to connect with Lois and Edge.
    I really thought Covid influence would be more noticeable, but here we have festival scenes full of extras, cast members regularly hugging each other. Uh good I think? Hope they had all the right precautions.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 03-24-2021 at 07:00 PM.

I'm hoping there's a crossover with Supergirl before the season is over.

Between S&L and the Snyder Cut, I’m loving how arctic breath is getting a lot of love (see guys I said something nice about the SC!).
    Cool that Clark had some adventures as a “Superboy” (or did he go by the Blur?). Too much to hope he had adventures with the LoSH as a kid Post-Crisis? Would be cool to see them show up here. Also I do appreciate that he chafed under his parents rules the same way Jon & Jordan chafe under his.
    Yeah Jon is rightfully getting fed up with how his life has gone to hell since the Smallville move. I hope they’re not going to make him a “villain” or what have you. I can’t help but feel super sympathetic for him, and he was totally in the right for calling Clark out and how much he is letting Jordan get away with. Definitely feels like Jon and Jordan are going to really get into it at some point.
    God Clark is such a massive dork-dad in this episode lmao, from geeking out over Harvest Fest to getting all excited about Jordan going on a date.
    Seems like Lois is really molding Chrissy in her image. She’s starting to step up and take point with her trick with the phone and following Powell and Leslie to the mine.
    The Cushings are really sympathetic to me, all of them (well Sophie is just kind of there). They all have flaws and upsides, I like them all.
    Holy **** that usage of heat vision is one brutal way to commit suicide.
    Captain Luthor really does feel like he should’ve been a take on Corben. Military man, served under Sam Lane in Project 7734, and freaking married Lois? Yeah I think it’s safe to say he’s a mix of Alexander Luthor and Corben.
    Holy **** that’s one hell of a cliffhanger to make us wait 2 months to see followed up.

This was probably my favorite episode so far! Sucks we have to wait so long for the next. I’m guessing there must be more going on at that superhero school then we thought.

Speculation time: I saw someone theorize that Morgan Edge is possessed by either General Zod or Xa-Du, you guys think maybe we’re getting a loose adaption of New Krypton, where there were all those Kryptonian sleeper agents?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I wasn't aware that this was the last episode we're getting for awhile. Well, at least they ended on a sweet comic booky cliffhanger.

I really enjoyed this episode. I certainly don't see any signs of the issues in regards to race and/or women that reportedly plagued the writer's room. Captain Luthor is an extremely compelling character and hardly feels like he's some cardboard villain. In addition, Lois and all the other characters have felt like they've been very well served by the scripts so far. My initial concerns about Lois & Jon in the pilot have been completely satisfied by the subsequent episodes. Perhaps the writers were able to course correct during filming to iron out whatever problems there were--or maybe the problems were being exaggerated to begin with by a writer who was upset she wasn't rehired. Who knows? From what's made it to the screen, I'm not seeing any issues so far.

Another enjoyable episode. I'm going to be a broken record and just say that the writing and sfx continue to (for the most part) be solid. Really like that this show hasn't devolved into drama for the sake of drama. There are emotional outbursts, but they seem to handle it in a realistic way.

That being said, I think they're going to swerve us and Sara will end up with Jon, lol.

Hope this hiatus doesn't kill this show's momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeJP View Post
    That being said, I think they're going to swerve us and Sara will end up with Jon, lol.
    I really hope you are wrong. Not only does she seem like a terrible person to date in general, I would never betray my brother like that. Freshman year GF would be forgotten, family is forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I really hope you are wrong. Not only does she seem like a terrible person to date in general, I would never betray my brother like that. Freshman year GF would be forgotten, family is forever.
    Well Sara did just banish Jor to the Friend Zone. Plus she likes guys with issues. Jor is becoming popular and well adjusted. Jon's world is crashing around him. So yeah, Sara will want to get together with Jon, causing conflict with Jor.