Page 11 of 127 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    There's absolutely no reason why Lois and Clark could have both had voiceovers in the opening of the pilot. Alternatively, since his voice narrated the beginning, her voice could have narrated the end. Lois could have had one line with her father that referenced her experience growing up with an absentee dad or a line that referenced what it was possibly like losing her mother at a young age and moving to new homes and schools. She could have said literally one throwaway line about what it was like for her growing up with a sister, Lucy, who was unlike her or at odds with her. There were plenty of tiny ways a writer who actually cared about Lois and her character could have used elements of her canon to enrich the story and develop her more.
    It doesn't seem like there's the same drama with General Lane that we usually get with Lois here, since they actually seem to get along and respect each other enough.

Of course, this is still early on so we might get more drama between them and tensions over her relationship with Clark.

I am curious if they're ever going to recast Lucy.

It was ok, I hope it avoids teen angst in future episodes. The casting could have been better for Jordan, or better yet just have Jon and skip the twins thing. At least Jon is likable.

I found it odd that Lana didn't know Clark was Superman and we didn't meet Pete Ross.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I found it odd that Lana didn't know Clark was Superman and we didn't meet Pete Ross.
    Comic-wise, that's basically post-1985 Lana Lang, where she didn't know anything (and it stayed that way until "Infinite Crisis")

Actually post-Crisis Lana knew everything, since they were 18. She was the first person he ever told. He told her on prom night and proved it by taking her for a flight. Until he told Lois many years later on their engagement night it was just Ma, Pa, and Lana.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think they're going for a more realistic take here where of course no one outside of his parents would be let in on it. One of the things that I notice is that Smallville looks almost dingy. In Smallville it was supposed to be the perfect Norman Rockwell small town. In this, it looks closer to what a small town in the real world would actually look like. Dirty, old, few people wandering around. Even the Kent farmhouse has a much older, more lived in look than on Smallville. Martha even still has an analogue TV in the kitchen. Most of the stores look empty. The theater, if there is one, might show one movie at a time. This is not the fantasy that TV has sold us about the midwest for so many years. This looks like a real place. Not what Hollywood wishes what small town America looked like.
    Assassinate Putin!

I hope that the relationships are maintained throughout the series as positive, despite the tension.

The actors seem good enough for what they are currently doing.

I hope Lois continues her reporting job, even as a freelancer.

We need to see more of Kyle, and see why he turned out to be a resentful townie... I don't think it would be a good look for him to slip into outright villainy.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think they're going for a more realistic take here where of course no one outside of his parents would be let in on it. One of the things that I notice is that Smallville looks almost dingy. In Smallville it was supposed to be the perfect Norman Rockwell small town. In this, it looks closer to what a small town in the real world would actually look like. Dirty, old, few people wandering around. Even the Kent farmhouse has a much older, more lived in look than on Smallville. Martha even still has an analogue TV in the kitchen. Most of the stores look empty. The theater, if there is one, might show one movie at a time. This is not the fantasy that TV has sold us about the midwest for so many years. This looks like a real place. Not what Hollywood wishes what small town America looked like.
    Sarah flat out says her dad has had to put out meth lab fires. That’s not something you’d expect to hear from a Superman show, but sadly is all to real given the opioid epidemic. This is definitely more “realistic” insofar that it’s tackling the death of small town America head on.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Sarah flat out says her dad has had to put out meth lab fires. That’s not something you’d expect to hear from a Superman show, but sadly is all to real given the opioid epidemic. This is definitely more “realistic” insofar that it’s tackling the death of small town America head on.
    I thought that bit was particularly surprising. I'm glad they're not shying away from how bad things have gotten in middle America.

I hope the show is also unafraid of dealing with America's racial issues, which is my hope for the whole black Luthor angle, but given the grumblings from the writer's room, maybe I shouldn't be too hopeful.

It was ok, I hope it avoids teen angst in future episodes. The casting could have been better for Jordan, or better yet just have Jon and skip the twins thing. At least Jon is likable.

Lana did mention Pete in her story about how they miraculously survived an accident thanks to Clark. I do wonder what's going on with him though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I thought that bit was particularly surprising. I'm glad they're not shying away from how bad things have gotten in middle America.

I hope the show is also unafraid of dealing with America's racial issues, which is my hope for the whole black Luthor angle, but given the grumblings from the writer's room, maybe I shouldn't be too hopeful.
    Character-wise I'm not expecting this AU Luthor being black to matter much from a characterization standpoint.

I'm hoping black Luthor is just a one season baddie and they get someone new next season so this doesn't become a thing. Maybe James can come back or something.
    Assassinate Putin!

I found Lois pretty good in the episodes. I have no issues. But then, I watch Superman mostly for Superman /Clark, so I was satisfied with what I saw. I'm sure Lois will shine more in other stories.

I am going to miss the blue heat vision though. It made him stand out from other versions.
    I'm not, hated it.

Could they not cut Clark's hair? Both toddler Clark and teenage Clark looked like they had never been to a barber. Tom Welling always looked well manicured and they both look like they just stepped out of 1973.
    Assassinate Putin!

Could they not cut Clark's hair? Both toddler Clark and teenage Clark looked like they had never been to a barber. Tom Welling always looked well manicured and they both look like they just stepped out of 1973.
    It kind of made him look more like Jordan.

I really doubt it, haha, the teen angst will continue, but hopefully not too much. I really don't know what to expect from his sons. It scares me and excites me. It could be brilliant or suck. But I'm definitely intrigued.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I really hope they open up that neck line in his costume. It looks like its choking him.