Page 40 of 127 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Not to mention characters acting inconsistently with their appearance on other shows isn't exactly without precedent. Like how Barry is always fun and joyful whenever he goes to other shows, but on his own show, he's pretty sad and mopey.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

I think the Kara thing is probably the most jarring omission because none of the other stuff has really needed to come up, at least in a natural way.

Once Superman finds out who Captain Luthor is, they'll probably address the Lex Clark knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Not to mention characters acting inconsistently with their appearance on other shows isn't exactly without precedent. Like how Barry is always fun and joyful whenever he goes to other shows, but on his own show, he's pretty sad and mopey.
    Well, he can be fun and joyful too, it just usually gets overwhelmed by the overarching Big Bad storyline of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    After watching 3 episodes of Tyler Hoechlin's Kal in SUPERMAN AND LOIS (SAL) and comparing them to his Kal in SUPERGIRL ... I'm getting the impression this might be actually be a different enough version so as to be a different character altogether.

The differences between Tyler's two versions are even more pronounced than the differences between Brandon Routh's Kal in SUPERMAN RETURNS vs Brandon Routh's Kal in the CW's "Crisis On Infinite Earths" crossover.

Zero mention of Kara in SAL. Zero mention of Lex Luthor in SAL (I think). Zero mention of the other Arrowverse characters in SAL. Zero mention of any of the previous CW events in SAL.

I'm starting to think that SAL used the Crisis crossover to quietly disconnect itself from the Arrowverse even before it's debut. The Super sons make absolutely no sense timeline-wise, unless SAL is still set in the CW universe, but is actually 14 years into their future.

Which it could be, and that could work.

Or this could be yet another Earth altogether where none of the CW SUPERGIRL stuff applies at all. Or some weird 3rd option.

What do you think?
    This explains my confusion then, I noped out of Supergirl within the first 2-3 episodes and stopped watching Arrowverse shows all together a couple of years ago so I never really seen him in action. I had heard nothing but negative things about him on the internet (this forum as well) especially about how weak he was.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Barry was pretty mopey in the Dominator invasion crossover.

I just saw the show as taking place on Earth 36 than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    This explains my confusion then, I noped out of Supergirl within the first 2-3 episodes and stopped watching Arrowverse shows all together a couple of years ago so I never really seen him in action. I had heard nothing but negative things about him on the internet (this forum as well) especially about how weak he was.
    The whining about Hoechlin is amusing to look back on now.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

As far as the Kent brothers breaking continuity, this isn't first or even the latest time the characters in the arrowverse found themselves with children they weren't supposed to have after timeline changes. It happened to both Stein and most recently Mick in Legends, as well as to Diggle a bunch of times. Makes me wonder they'll bring that up when he makes his guest appearance.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

The character is still pretty weak to me.I mean,I haven't seen anything that says "strength".The fight sequances have been rather bland and dull.But,i have to say always love it when clark breaks through a wall.It still didn't get reaction shot from the villain to let that scene breathe.Honestly,the titans show did superman fights better.Even the superspeed use didn't have much impact here for me.Krypto catching a missle was fantastic as hell,comparatively.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-14-2021 at 09:35 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think this show's avoidance with getting bogged down with continuity nonsense with the other CW shows is a smart move on their part. The quality is, thus far, high enough that they don't need to mention Kara or any of the other CW characters yet as some way to prop themselves up. They don't need to talk about where Kara is at the moment because her existence isn't important to the story being told, just as the Supergirl TV show quickly realized it shouldn't get bogged down with mentioning where Superman was all the time.

If something requires a shout out to Kara or Barry or whomever, I'm sure they'll do it, but this series seems designed to appeal to a much broader viewership than the CW shows generally attract.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think this show's avoidance with getting bogged down with continuity nonsense with the other CW shows is a smart move on their part. The quality is, thus far, high enough that they don't need to mention Kara or any of the other CW characters yet as some way to prop themselves up. They don't need to talk about where Kara is at the moment because her existence isn't important to the story being told, just as the Supergirl TV show quickly realized it shouldn't get bogged down with mentioning where Superman was all the time.

If something requires a shout out to Kara or Barry or whomever, I'm sure they'll do it, but this series seems designed to appeal to a much broader viewership than the CW shows generally attract.
    I honestly really want this to be its own thing and a soft reboot for the Arrowverse. If they are going to include those characters I would like for them to be new actors, not that I dislike the old actors but it would be so jarring to see them in this tv shows setting.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I honestly really want this to be its own thing and a soft reboot for the Arrowverse. If they are going to include those characters I would like for them to be new actors, not that I dislike the old actors but it would be so jarring to see them in this tv shows setting.
    I'm happy for the show to break free of the CW/Arrowverse, I do not watch the other shows but I figure name dropping or Clark showing up on those shows is an easy fix for those still wanting to maintain the same continuity. What I like here is that those choosing to ignore the connection can keep doing so as I doubt anyone (other that Diggle) is ever going to show up on this show any time soon. The multiverse being what it is, it's a lot easier pretending this show is its own thing and I prefer it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Barry was pretty mopey in the Dominator invasion crossover.

I just saw the show as taking place on Earth 36 than anything else.
    Admittedly he was coming off of Flashpoint at the time (which ended up being part of why the Dominators even came to Earth) and his best friend hating him.
    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    The character is still pretty weak to me.I mean,I haven't seen anything that says "strength".The fight sequances have been rather bland and dull.But,i have to say always love it when clark breaks through a wall.It still didn't get reaction shot from the villain to let that scene breathe.Honestly,the titans show did superman fights better.Even the superspeed use didn't have much impact here for me.Krypto catching a missle was fantastic as hell,comparatively.
    I felt like Clark exuded a lot of strength and creativity in his second fight with Captain Luthor and during his fight with the Subjekt here.

I stopped watching Flash and the other CW shows, so I’m happy this is standalone. I just wish they had stayed away from parallel Earths/doppelgängers — that was one of the things that wore me out on Flash. But I’m liking this so far.

With it going directly to HBO Max, I think they are aiming for a very loose connection to the overall CWverse to the point where it will essentially be standalone. Basically, the same model as Stargirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    With it going directly to HBO Max, I think they are aiming for a very loose connection to the overall CWverse to the point where it will essentially be standalone. Basically, the same model as Stargirl.
    They were planning a crossover with Batwoman. So I dunno how loose they want to keep the show. But I also don’t think it would be good for S&L to cross over frankly, I doubt they would raise the other shows budget to match so S&L would simply be lowered to match the others.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

I don't see how ANYONE sees Hochlin's Superman as being "weak". It is CLEAR that he's holding his power in check, when you compare his fights to his other feats of strength. Also, in order to make the threats more credible, the villains have to get stronger. I want my heroes to be challenged, and not turn into deus ex machina. "Yay. Superman is here." Yawn.