Page 47 of 127 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

7734 is explicitly the government’s anti-alien (and in particular anti-Superman) task force. Sam isn’t a villain yet, and he may never be, but they are clearly setting him down the road towards being an antagonist.

The Sam Lane in that storylane was Hitler in all but name. Also that Sam Lane had no idea that Superman was his son-in-law. Nor did he have a personal relationship with him. And there were no grandkids. That Sam Lane was nothing but an evil villain. For one thing he masterminded the murders of the scientists who ran the Cadmus project. That storyline portrayed the U. S. military as being composed of nothing but genocidal warmongers. It's very possible that is one of the reasons the Super titles were losing readers at that time. The panel you posted here looks more like one of Hitler's rallies. The only thing missing is shouts of sieg heil.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Quote Originally Posted by llozymandias View Post
    The Sam Lane in that storylane was Hitler in all but name. Also that Sam Lane had no idea that Superman was his son-in-law. Nor did he have a personal relationship with him. And there were no grandkids. That Sam Lane was nothing but an evil villain. For one thing he masterminded the murders of the scientists who ran the Cadmus project. That storyline portrayed the U. S. military as being composed of nothing but genocidal warmongers. It's very possible that is one of the reasons the Super titles were losing readers at that time. The panel you posted here looks more like one of Hitler's rallies. The only thing missing is shouts of sieg heil.
    Johns and Busiek were one of the strongest selling periods for the Superbooks as a whole iirc. I think I get your problem, you don’t want Sam or the military portrayed in an antagonistic light, you want them to be good guys right? Well they haven’t made Sam as over the top evil as he was here but I feel pretty certain that Supes and Project 7734 are going to come to blows at some point.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Anyone else just not really feeling this show? I love the Superman being presented here, and Lois is her standard golden awsomeness - but I don't care for the setup with the sons and Smallville.
    I expected to hate the set-up but I’ve grown to love it.

I feel pretty strongly that Lois and Clark’s return to both the city and to the Daily Planet will be a victorious storyline in a later season and I’m ready to feel all the emotions when it happens. But, for now, I’m stunned how much I like this.

So long as both Clark and Lois remain in character—and right now Hoechlin and Tulloch are slaying it/-I’m fine with this.

Johns and Busiek were one of the strongest selling periods for the Superbooks as a whole iirc. I think I get your problem, you don’t want Sam or the military portrayed in an antagonistic light, you want them to be good guys right? Well they haven’t made Sam as over the top evil as he was here but I feel pretty certain that Supes and Project 7734 are going to come to blows at some point.

No, i am just tired of the american military portrayed as an evil nazi-like organization composed of & run by genocidal madmen. In this tv series Sam (by his own admission) has been protecting Superman's secret id from his superiors. World of new krypton/war of the supermen was one of the worst storylines ever.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I would have preferred a more classic setup, but given that Supergirl is already doing that and they're covering new ground by exploring what's happening in Middle America, I don't mind it too much.

I think once Supergirl wraps up, we'll see Lois & Clark move the family back to Metropolis in future seasons.
    Maybe - but even if, I'm just never going to feel the whole family dynamic of this show. I don't care for Jordan, I like Jon but am not in for what I think they'll do with him, the football thing is uninteresting, I don't care for any of the narratives that I can think of for them, and whenever they're on I just get bored...and that's just them. If they move back to Metropolis it'd be a bit better, but the small town Smallville stuff is just...is it because the writers are from cities? Like, are city people fascinated by small town life? Because I'm from a rural small town, and it bores me. I watch tv to be entertained and to escape - I don't need to escape small town bull for more small town bull.

I get Supergirl already has it covered - but Supergirl has never done it well. I see the better quality of Superman and Lois, and just think that quality with the classic set up would be great. Instead I have to settle for a superior take on an inferior set up. Is the best of both worlds too much of an ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's growing on me a lot, personally .
    That's great for you. For me - I like Superman, I like Lois, but the rest I don't think will grow on me...except maybe as some sort of fungus. It's a deeply flawed show with just enough good stuff to keep me, but never really be great. Just something I have to settle for as "the best I'll get."

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    I expected to hate the set-up but I’ve grown to love it.

I feel pretty strongly that Lois and Clark’s return to both the city and to the Daily Planet will be a victorious storyline in a later season and I’m ready to feel all the emotions when it happens. But, for now, I’m stunned how much I like this.

So long as both Clark and Lois remain in character—and right now Hoechlin and Tulloch are slaying it/-I’m fine with this.
    True. Those two characters are the only thing the show gets right for me, but that's the bit I'm here for so I'll take it.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I get Supergirl already has it covered - but Supergirl has never done it well. I see the better quality of Superman and Lois, and just think that quality with the classic set up would be great. Instead I have to settle for a superior take on an inferior set up. Is the best of both worlds too much of an ask?
    Supergirl is ending this season and Superman & Lois has already been renewed for a second season, so I don't think you'll have to wait long to get something closer to what you are looking for. However, the family set up is the whole show. That isn't going away any time soon.

Supergirl is ending this season and Superman & Lois has already been renewed for a second season, so I don't think you'll have to wait long to get something closer to what you are looking for. However, the family set up is the whole show. That isn't going away any time soon.
    And the Smallville set has been rented for three years (so three seasons) at the minimum. I could see a return to Metropolis afterwards but in the near future they’ll be staying in Smallville I think.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

And the Smallville set has been rented for three years (so three seasons) at the minimum. I could see a return to Metropolis afterwards but in the near future they’ll be staying in Smallville I think.
    Yeah, I don't see them dumping the Smallville setting entirely, but I can see a situation where Lois and Clark are splitting their time between Smallville and Metropolis more and more.

Yeah, I don't see them dumping the Smallville setting entirely, but I can see a situation where Lois and Clark are splitting their time between Smallville and Metropolis more and more.
    I do appreciate that they’re making Clark’s move out of Metropolis a plot point, with villains taking notice and ramping up plans accordingly. Also I seriously hope we get a cool Intergang scene where they try to rob a bank or STAR Labs or something because they think Superman isn’t around and then Clark shows up and clears them out.

Just because Supergirl is leaving doesn't mean Superman is moving back to Metrolpolis. Hasn't the CW/HBO/WB paid the town for like two or three seasons? So doubtful.
    And you're not telling me anything I didn't already know. I know the family thing is the show. That's why I know this show will most likely always feel like a lesser, more "meh" product for me. I just don't see them winning me over on that point, so it's just a thing I have to learn to live with but will probably never enjoy.

Edit: I was just asking if anyone else felt this way - guess I'm alone on this thread.

I mean, assuming Edge is ousted from the Planet by the end of the season, Lois might go back while Clark remains a stay-at-home dad.

Unless Lois feels like she can still accomplish stuff at the Smallville paper.
    That's great for you. For me - I like Superman, I like Lois, but the rest I don't think will grow on me...except maybe as some sort of fungus. It's a deeply flawed show with just enough good stuff to keep me, but never really be great. Just something I have to settle for as "the best I'll get."
    I think the issues you have with the show are more of a personal taste thing than actual flaws (which is fine), because I think on the whole the show is handling its various aspects fairly well.

I think The Daily Planet being the enemy for Lois to take on is an interesting idea that I wouldn't mind going on for more than one season.

Maybe - but even if, I'm just never going to feel the whole family dynamic of this show. I don't care for Jordan, I like Jon but am not in for what I think they'll do with him, the football thing is uninteresting, I don't care for any of the narratives that I can think of for them, and whenever they're on I just get bored...and that's just them. If they move back to Metropolis it'd be a bit better, but the small town Smallville stuff is just...is it because the writers are from cities? Like, are city people fascinated by small town life? Because I'm from a rural small town, and it bores me. I watch tv to be entertained and to escape - I don't need to escape small town bull for more small town bull.

I think the appeal behind using the Smallville location is pretty easy to see what their going for. The whole seemingly mundane and safe small town being juxtapose with something secret and sinister underneath is an increasingly used trope or seems like it to me anyway. Be it other superhero shows like Wandavision or Star Girl, other popular shows like Dark, Fargo or Stranger things or my personal favorite: the hot fuzz movie. So Smallville is meant to seem like another one of those dull place where nothing happens, but thats I guess supposed to juxtapose (if im using that word right) with whatever Morgan Edge Kryptonite conspiracy thing is going on. Maybe more effectively than if it'd take place in a big crime ridden city where you expect shady shenanigans to be happening.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 03-21-2021 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the issues you have with the show are more of a personal taste thing than actual flaws (which is fine), because I think on the whole the show is handling its various aspects fairly well.
    Perhaps - but it still sucks for me. A lot of fans on this forum seem to be getting some great, amazing Superman product - but sadly it's just not one for this Superman fan...