Page 66 of 127 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess it's because I feel like we're about to watch him really grow? But his screentime hasn't felt lopsided to me.
    Next season will probably be focused around him as he develops powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    I wonder if Jon will do something bad when he first gains powers? Not only has the poor kid been put through the wringer in Smallville but by moving there he was stripped of everything that made his life fun. We all have a breaking point especially teenagers (being a teen is hard enough as is).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess it's because I feel like we're about to watch him really grow?
    Growth? Growth from what? Growth implies he's somehow lacking in an aspect of his character, and said lack is making him lesser as a person than he could be. Jon Kent as the show presents him is borderline a saint who seems to make the best of any bad situation, and he always puts his loved ones first well before himself. Jordan has glaring areas where growth can and should happen, thus he drives all of the teen plotlines.

But his screentime hasn't felt lopsided to me.
    By screen time I suppose I mean the amount of time where he drives the plot. Jon has almost never driven the plot especially when compared to Jordan. Oh what's that? Jon's girlfriend who we've basically never never seen or heard from broke up with him because he moved? Better instead juxtapose this next to young Clark leaving town, and Jordan going on his first date rather than give it its due. Oh, Jon's being bullied at school? Better make this about how Jordan wants play football now. Jon's best friend Tag is back in town with powers? Better have Jon not have anything to do with him, and make this all about how Jordan relates to it. Oh and who can forget the boys have a game against Jon's team that he missis and just an episode ago tried to talk his dad into letting him move out to go back to? Better pull some off screen bullying plot point regarding them and Jordan, and boil Jon's whole connection to it down to Cutter saying he's dating his ex now.

It's not about how often he's seen on screen, but about how little the show seems to want to dig into his POV. His stuff is only ever in relation to someone else. While Jordan can just sit there and go on and on about where he's at. The focus is lopsided.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Would that not be redundant? I mean, it's very, very unlikely that Jon will get powers that are unlike his fathers because his comic counterpart doesn't. And Jordan's powers seem to be fairly standard even with their emotionally driven highs and lows.

The only thing I could see them doing is having Jon naturally take to his powers better, and having them be at a higher potency. That way you don't have to go back over getting used to super hearing, heat vision, and whatever else that we'll see with Jordan. Plus, as this show is known to do, it'll just give Jordan something to be introspective about while we focus on him. "I thought this was the one thing I'd be good at. But it's not enough that I'll never be like dad, but now I'll never even be like you."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I wonder if Jon will do something bad when he first gains powers? Not only has the poor kid been put through the wringer in Smallville but by moving there he was stripped of everything that made his life fun. We all have a breaking point especially teenagers (being a teen is hard enough as is).
    According to the showrunner Jon Kent doesn't have a breaking point in the sense that he doesn't have it in him to "go bad", so I doubt he'll do anything bad beyond some mild verbal lashing out.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Would that not be redundant? I mean, it's very, very unlikely that Jon will get powers that are unlike his fathers because his comic counterpart doesn't. And Jordan's powers seem to be fairly standard even with their emotionally driven highs and lows.
    I wouldn't say it's unlikely at all. Jon does have a comic counterpart that gets the non-standard Kryptonian powerset of Tactile Telekinesis. That'd easily provide for another season of training.

I wouldn't say it's unlikely at all. Jon does have a comic counterpart that gets the non-standard Kryptonian powerset of Tactile Telekinesis. That'd easily provide for another season of training.
    I'd find it very unlikely especially when his most famous comic counterpart-- the one that is currently running-- is has the standard set, and is being greatly, greatly pushed as the new Superman. It just doesn't seem at all likely.

If they were interested in the idea then giving Jordan TTK would've been the more likely move.

I'd find it very unlikely especially when his most famous comic counterpart-- the one that is currently running-- is has the standard set, and is being greatly, greatly pushed as the new Superman. It just doesn't seem at all likely.

If they were interested in the idea then giving Jordan TTK would've been the more likely move.
    I mean, that's your opinion. Comic synergy flew out the window when the show created an entirely new son of Superman.

I mean, that's your opinion. Comic synergy flew out the window when the show created an entirely new son of Superman.
    I never presented it as anything other than an opinion.

But I feel pretty confident in saying that conventional wisdom would say that if they were going to go outside of the box with powers then it would be with the character created for the show rather than the already established IP that's now being pushed harder in the comics. I don't feel like that's an unreasonable leap to make.

I never presented it as anything other than an opinion.

But I feel pretty confident in saying that conventional wisdom would say that if they were going to go outside of the box with powers then it would be with the character created for the show rather than the already established IP that's now being pushed harder in the comics. I don't feel like that's an unreasonable leap to make.
    Yeah, I just feel like you're wrong. The premise of the show should inform you that they're not beholden to anything from the comics. And it's impossible for Jordan to have TTK. It's extremely obvious he has his father's powers.

Yeah, I just feel like you're wrong. The premise of the show should inform you that they're not beholden to anything from the comics. And it's impossible for Jordan to have TTK. It's extremely obvious he has his father's powers.
    That's totally fine if you feel that way. Like I said, it's an opinion, and no matter how likely I think it is that it's correct it won't really matter till we see it.

No one is saying that Jordan has TTK. I'm saying that at the point of conception for the show, conventional wisdom would suggest that if they wanted to go less conventional with a characters powers then it likely would've been with the OC for the show, but clearly they didn't, so I doubt they'll do that for an established IP.

You're welcome to have your own opinion this.

Edit: Like, clearly how we get to Jon's powers will be different already. I fully believe that X Kryptonite is the key to that. But I don't think his powers will be any different from the standard set outside of maybe the level they're at.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 05-22-2021 at 06:27 PM.

That's totally fine if you feel that way. Like I said, it's an opinion, and no matter how likely I think it is that it's correct it won't really matter till we see it.

No one is saying that Jordan has TTK. I'm saying that at the point of conception for the show, conventional wisdom would suggest that if they wanted to go less conventional with a characters powers then it likely would've been with the OC for the show, but clearly they didn't, so I doubt they'll do that for an established IP.

You're welcome to have your own opinion this.

Edit: Like, clearly how we get to Jon's powers will be different already. I fully believe that X Kryptonite is the key to that. But I don't think his powers will be any different from the standard set outside of maybe the level they're at.
    You're ignoring that adapting Jon Lane Kent would still be adapting an established IP.

You're ignoring that adapting Jon Lane Kent would still be adapting an established IP.
    I'm not ignoring it, I just find its relevancy dubious at best when the more popular and relevant version of the Jon Kent IP is not only current but also currently being pushed quite hard.

Like I said before, I think the differences in terms of powers between between S&L Jon and comics Jon will only be in how they got their powers. I think Jon will get his powers in an almost Captain America sort of way via X Kryptonite.

Incredible Member

Growth? Growth from what? Growth implies he's somehow lacking in an aspect of his character, and said lack is making him lesser as a person than he could be. Jon Kent as the show presents him is borderline a saint who seems to make the best of any bad situation, and he always puts his loved ones first well before himself. Jordan has glaring areas where growth can and should happen, thus he drives all of the teen plotlines.
    Growth in this case could mean learning to stand up for himself more. He didn't really do anything when Sarah's ex-boyfriend and his friends were harassing him to get back at Jordan, or when Cutter continuously mocked him by saying he was now dating Elissa.

Of course, the show could always say he's too mature to really pay attention to this (which, makes sense for Cutter I guess, since that had no consequences and was probably just shittalk, but the Smallville guys were actively hurting his chances with the football team) so there's nothing wrong with his current attitude, but that's room for change anyway.

Thumbs up

...According to the showrunner Jon Kent doesn't have a breaking point in the sense that he doesn't have it in him to "go bad", so I doubt he'll do anything bad beyond some mild verbal lashing out.
    I hope this is misdirection as it sounds boring to me (and Jon's comics counterpart is already uber boring, IMO). I'm not saying he should go all Venom rather he should make a big mistake he learns from. But, either way, we'll see.
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-22-2021 at 07:38 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Growth in this case could mean learning to stand up for himself more. He didn't really do anything when Sarah's ex-boyfriend and his friends were harassing him to get back at Jordan, or when Cutter continuously mocked him by saying he was now dating Elissa.

Of course, the show could always say he's too mature to really pay attention to this (which, makes sense for Cutter I guess, since that had no consequences and was probably just shittalk, but the Smallville guys were actively hurting his chances with the football team) so there's nothing wrong with his current attitude, but that's room for change anyway.
    But the show has never presented it/framed it as him not standing up for himself, but rather him taking the high road and looking for cooler heads to win the day. It's unlike how Jordan's issues with anger are very clearly defined as issues that he is actively reprimanded for in more than one episode. No one is ever like "boy Jon, you really should've stood up for yourself." Jon only seems to get physical when there's no other way to solve a situation, and he'd usually rather talk a situation down.

The closest thing to a character arc I can see is Jon having to give up football and the trajectory his life was on completely in order to, potentially, answer his true calling as a hero. Football's the only thing he's ever been selfish or self centered about....but even then, because he's a got damn saint, he'll actively take a back seat for if it means his brother feeling happy. So him finally having to move on from that is potentially something.