Page 67 of 127 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1897
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I hope this is misdirection as it sounds boring to me (and Jon's comics counterpart is already uber boring, IMO). I'm not saying he should go all Venom rather he should make a big mistake he learns from. But, either way, we'll see.
    Well, there's another young Kent boy on the show who may be more to your liking. In the casting call for Jordan, he was described as having an "inherent darkness" to him.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Well, there's another young Kent boy on the show who may be more to your liking. In the casting call for Jordan, he was described as having an "inherent darkness" to him.
    Yeah, but I feel Jon is just sort of there taking up space so far. Of the four main characters, he's the most boring, IMO. The show could easily exist without him which isn't good for a character inspired by a comic book counterpart DC is deadest on pushing hard. I want more for him and us.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Yeah, but I feel Jon is just sort of there taking up space so far. Of the four main characters he's the most boring, IMO. I want more for him.
    As do I. The show seems to care the least about him or his POV, and he seems to only be there to deal with the fallout of whatever selfish dumb **** Jordan has decided to do that given day. He's effectively Jordan's supporting character, and seems to be designed in a way that he returns to his neutral position of super supportive and protective brother at the start of every episode no matter what Jordan has done to him be it directly or indirectly.

Jordan breaks his wrist and potentially dashes his dreams of playing football forever? Preview for next episode has Jon risking his life to drive them somewhere while Jordan has a super hearing fit.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

As do I. The show seems to care the least about him or his POV, and he seems to only be there to deal with the fallout of whatever selfish dumb **** Jordan has decided to do that given day. He's effectively Jordan's supporting character, and seems to be designed in a way that he returns to his neutral position of super supportive and protective brother at the start of every episode no matter what Jordan has done to him be it directly or indirectly.

Jordan breaks his wrist and potentially dashes his dreams of playing football forever? Preview for next episode has Jon risking his life to drive them somewhere while Jordan has a super hearing fit.
    This is why I hope the showrunner is misdirecting fans like us; something has to come from all this for Jon's development otherwise what's the point? He can't be Jordan's supporting character/the bland "good son" forever or he'll never become an interesting character in his own right.

This is why I hope the showrunner is misdirecting fans like us; something has to come from all this for Jon's development otherwise what's the point? He can't be Jordan's supporting character/the bland "good son" forever or he'll never become an interesting character in his own right.
    I doubt he's misdirecting us. For the same reason Clark or Kara or Barry can't go bad Jon can't go bad. He's an established IP that WB/DC likely want to keep some level of uniformity with across all media.

The most we'll get is some reasonable lashing out, and some reasonable mistakes on his part. But nothing like him being so fed up with how things have been going that he does something truly dubious and "I'll show them all"-y.

But that wouldn't inherently make him boring if the show would just decide to give a damn about him beyond his relation to Jordan, and give him some singular focus. You can for sure have great stories with a character that's inherently good. But you need to get some time with them, because if you don't they *just* seem one note.

I doubt he's misdirecting us. For the same reason Clark or Kara or Barry can't go bad Jon can't go bad. He's an established IP that WB/DC likely want to keep some level of uniformity with across all media.

The most we'll get is some reasonable lashing out, and some reasonable mistakes on his part. But nothing like him being so fed up with how things have been going that he does something truly dubious and "I'll show them all"-y.

But that wouldn't inherently make him boring if the show would just decide to give a damn about him beyond his relation to Jordan, and give him some singular focus. You can for sure have great stories with a character that's inherently good. But you need to get some time with them, because if you don't they *just* seem one note.
    I think you nailed it. CW is scared of taking any risks with Jon because of synergy so they've decided to make him a glorified background character which is sad if true. By way of comparison, Jordan is an OC so they can pretty much do whatever they please with him.

Jordan is already annoying as hell to a large majority of the viewers having Jon be the one to go down a dark path would likely make him more endearing.

I'm not ignoring it, I just find its relevancy dubious at best when the more popular and relevant version of the Jon Kent IP is not only current but also currently being pushed quite hard.

Like I said before, I think the differences in terms of powers between between S&L Jon and comics Jon will only be in how they got their powers. I think Jon will get his powers in an almost Captain America sort of way via X Kryptonite.
    Popular is a bold choice of words.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I think you nailed it. CW is scared of taking any risks with Jon because of synergy so they've decided to make him a glorified background character which is sad if true. By way of comparison, Jordan is an OC so they can pretty much do whatever they please with him.
    Making him some bad guy isn't taking risk.it's the blandest thing to do.What they need to do is show jon as the passionate and fairminded individual he was meant to be in the first episode.Show his fiery attitude."besides,my skill are legit".they need to show his passion for foot ball.they need to show how he doesn't like cheating like his father does and jordan.That's it.
    The first misstep was jon accepting jordan playing football with powers.That should have been a huge red flag for the kid.Jon should have been the one to say this is'nt right...for the spirit of the game and competition.They should have then given jon abilites from other sources chemicals,kryptonite..tec.Then jon himself choosing to quit the game he loves.Jon trying to find something else to do with his abilites than be "Savior example for whole mankind".Him going to metropolis and stuff like that.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-22-2021 at 08:51 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

If true, what an ironic turn of events because I thought part of the point of Jon Kent Superman was to tell different stories you couldn’t tell with Clark, since Clark had to be the “perfect” one while Jon was the relatable one who was allowed to make mistakes, but now CW Jon is the one boxed into being the perfect brother while the new OC is the one they have free reign on.

I can’t even laugh, man. I guess comics are cyclical.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    If true, what an ironic turn of events because I thought part of the point of Jon Kent Superman was to tell different stories you couldn’t tell with Clark, since Clark had to be the “perfect” one while Jon was the relatable one who was allowed to make mistakes, but now CW Jon is the one boxed into being the perfect brother while the new OC is the one they have free reign on.

Nah, that was just speculation from the fanbase on the motives behind his push. Going by Future State, DC's vision of Jon Kent as Superman is "the apple didn't fall far from the tree" (quote from FS Justice League), with only the first issue of Superman of Metropolis showing the so-called "controversial Superman"... something that is immediately rejected as a mistake that will never happen again (and wasn't really Jon's choice since he was manipulated into it) in the very next issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Nah, that was just speculation from the fanbase on the motives behind his push. Going by Future State, DC's vision of Jon Kent as Superman is "the apple didn't fall far from the tree" (quote from FS Justice League), with only the first issue of Superman of Metropolis showing the so-called "controversial Superman"... something that is immediately rejected as a mistake that will never happen again (and wasn't really Jon's choice since he was manipulated into it) in the very next issue.
    I call it when I labeled the character "Bland Teen Jon" and "Mini-Sups". Sometimes, I hate being right. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post

I think in this case it's more to do with the fact that this is Jon's first ever active role in outside media, so they feel they need to walk on eggshells with how he's presented especially now.

That's why I genuinely think the showrunners came to DC/WB with the pitch for Jon with Jordan's character/arc and they said "no. Make an OC for that, but we still need a Jon Kent on top of that" thus the two boys were born.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I call it. Sometimes, I hate being right. *sigh*
    Pardon me.but,You never liked jon to begin with.You hate Jon replacing clark as well...
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Pardon me.but,You never liked jon to begin with.You hate Jon replacing clark as well...
    Correct and correct, yet, I did guess what DC's plan was in replacing Clark with his comic book son the mini-me clone. I knew taking chances and exciting new stories had little to do with it they wanted a Sups free of eighty years of baggage but essentially the same.