Page 68 of 127 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1897
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Nah, that was just speculation from the fanbase on the motives behind his push. Going by Future State, DC's vision of Jon Kent as Superman is "the apple didn't fall far from the tree" (quote from FS Justice League), with only the first issue of Superman of Metropolis showing the so-called "controversial Superman"... something that is immediately rejected as a mistake that will never happen again (and wasn't really Jon's choice since he was manipulated into it) in the very next issue.
    Well that's not entirely true. While yes, there could never be a question that the apple didn't fall far from the tree (that's always been his character), the new Superman book will apparently have him figure out ways to fight stuff like "government inactivity on climate issues". That's most certainly not something Clark has ever felt comfortable stepping in on. And that seems to be a carry over from the Bendis era take because Jon created the United Planets, and once again that's the sort of thing that Clark has historically stayed out of.

But, yeah, there doesn't seem to be in the way of "will he go bad", but rather "will he f%&k it up" even though he's inherently good.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Nah, that was just speculation from the fanbase on the motives behind his push. Going by Future State, DC's vision of Jon Kent as Superman is "the apple didn't fall far from the tree" (quote from FS Justice League), with only the first issue of Superman of Metropolis showing the so-called "controversial Superman"... something that is immediately rejected as a mistake that will never happen again (and wasn't really Jon's choice since he was manipulated into it) in the very next issue.
    I dunno, if I recall correctly, Jon was also seen as a controversial figure in FS Worlds of War and FS Suicide Squad by random civilians and Waller (but I suppose his reputation got better by JL). Though I do think Jon will be a good Superman early in Tom Taylor’s run, if only because they need to rehabilitate his character with the fan base first.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Correct and correct, yet, I did guess what DC's plan was in replacing Clark with his comic book son the mini-me clone. I knew taking chances and exciting new stories had little to do with it they wanted a Sups free of eighty years of baggage but essentially the same.
    Clark is free of eighty years of baggage.He only has baggage that's from the 70s and 80s.You think this Superman in 2021 is the guy from action comics #1 or the guy from silverage in 50s and 60s.Heck! he doesn't even have the moral quandary of the guy in the bronze age.That's what they want out of superman,the flying moral paragon.Anyways,back to the point.I think you want jon to stuck in the box.So you can laugh and you are enjoying this.Hey! i might be wrong.On the flipside,Do you really thing jordan is telling something interesting?No,he ain't.His anxiety is just a plot device for angst.That's it.

As for Jon kent story,they could still tell exciting stories.it's a series a slow burn is cool.And your analyses is false.Ever heard of hugo danner?Yeah! that's the character original superman is Inspired or even ripped off from(not the current superman or jon's dad).They were doing jon the same way.Him joining the football team.The guys fairmindedness.Now they just need to put that back as said.That itself would mean conflict or disagreements.why?This superman,jordan..etc would have different values.And jon wouldn't be in favour of a heavenly "father" flying saviors or a guy playing football by cheating with powers and removing the spirit of competition.What Jon could just not want to be a moral paragon(whatever that is)?Also,i have to believe if these guys can go back to max fliescher superman suit(atleast the suit).They would have done enough research of the original superman-hugo danner.

Superman of metropolis was heavily influenced by the higher ups.Jon bottling the metropolis and stuff like that.It's writers and comics fans who just deal in " edgy and fun" stark contrasts. Champion of metropolis was great way of caping off that .This idea that higher ups are not willing to take risks is false.They want to do something with the character.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-22-2021 at 09:27 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Clark is free of eighty years of baggage.He only on baggage that's from the 70s and 80s.You think this Superman in 2021 is the guy from action comics #1 or the guy from silverage in 50s and 60s.Heck! he doesn't even have the moral quandary of the guy in the bronze age.That's what they want out of superman,the flying savior gimmick.Anyways,back to the point.I think you want jon to stuck in the box.So you can laugh and you are enjoying this.Hey! i might be wrong.On the flipside,Do you really thing jordan is telling something interesting?No,he ain't.His anxiety is just a plot device for angst.That's it.
    As for Jon kent story,they could still tell exciting stories.it's a series a slow burn is cool.And your analyses is false.Ever heard of hugo danner?Yeah! that's the character original superman is Inspired or even ripped off from(not the current superman or jon's dad).They were doing jon the same way.Him joining the football team.The guys fairmindedness.Now they just need to put that back as said.That itself would mean conflict or disagreements.why?This superman,jordan..etc would have different values.And jon would be in favour of a heavenly "father" flying saviors or a guy playing football by cheating with powers and removing the spirit of competition.

Superman of metropolis was heavily influenced by the higher ups.Jon bottling the metropolis and stuff like that.It's writers and comics fans who just deal in " edgy and fun" stark contrasts. Champion of metropolis was great way of caping off that .This idea that higher ups are not willing to take risks is false.They want to do something with the character.
    Whatever, but, Bland Teen Jon as the Nu Sups is and will remain a hard pass for me. They ain't getting any more of my money and judging by sale numbers they aren't getting a lot of other people's money either. If you enjoy it, good for you. It ain't for me. I've decided life is far too short to read stuff that makes me miserable so no more.
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-22-2021 at 09:23 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Whatever, but, Bland Teen Jon as the Nu Sups is and will remain a hard pass for me. They ain't getting any more of my money and judging by sale numbers they aren't getting a lot of other people's money either. If you enjoy it, good for you. It ain't for me. I've decided life is far too short to read stuff that makes me miserable so no more.
    That's cool.You do you.I think jon has potential to be an actual superman.The one with themes of the old pulp heroes,samurai's,westerns heroes and not some superhero.

That's cool.You do you.I think jon has potential to be an actual superman.The one with themes of the old pulp heroes,samurai's,westerns heroes and not some superhero.
    And I'm just as certain he'll fail and fail badly as Nu Sups. We'll see who is right but knowing DC has failed so many times already in recent decades (with various things).....well, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Well that's not entirely true. While yes, there could never be a question that the apple didn't fall far from the tree (that's always been his character), the new Superman book will apparently have him figure out ways to fight stuff like "government inactivity on climate issues". That's most certainly not something Clark has ever felt comfortable stepping in on. And that seems to be a carry over from the Bendis era take because Jon created the United Planets, and once again that's the sort of thing that Clark has historically stayed out of.

But, yeah, there doesn't seem to be in the way of "will he go bad", but rather "will he f%&k it up" even though he's inherently good.
    Given its Taylor though, I’m worried how he’s going to handle that. Sure there’s a lot of potential in Jon approaching the mantle in a different way than his dad did, as a hybrid he thinks of humanity in terms of “us” as opposed to his dad thinking “they”, and should feel less bothered at the notion of “interfering”. But Taylor also just straight up wrote Jon as no different than Clark in DCeased, and he’s still probably the most boring choice to handle differentiating the two in my opinion.

Invincible shows that there’s definitely an interest in the “son of Superman” taking over the role of Earth’s greatest hero. I don’t really see Mark being very different from what could be done with Jon, as opposed to Jordan who has a whole host of issues.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

And I'm just as certain he'll fail and fail badly as Nu Sups. We'll see who is right but knowing DC has failed so many times already in recent decades (with various things).....well, yeah.
    i don't care if he does.But,the idea of him wouldn't.They would try again with something else.why?cause superman is stagnant as an ip with declining revenue and on top of that fans with an attachment- to not the character but him being a guiding figure with determinism as reasoning(sky fathers and earth fathers being the reason for superman's existence).as long as i get something that goes deep into the character and lore.I would be happy,that includes the themes.

what you tell in story is what matters....If you say this"He’s not a one-man vigilante force who goes around knocking people’s heads together. He’s more reserved. Superman’s attitude is that people have to solve their own problems, they can’t always look to superheroes. That’s what makes Superman more like student council president than Rambo." - with all due respect.This is a great viewpoint and can exist as a story.But,That's wouldn't include the original superman.He was a one man vigilante force.He was zorro without the masks.He did knock people's head together.So it being the take,stinks.It is killing the man of action in action comics and in superman.

People solving their own problems doesn't negate your own responsibities and obligation.Especially,when a kid with spider powers puts himself out there going all out to stop trains while being called "menace".When a man so broken and distroyed finds family and seeks justice with all the might he acquired through effort.This ain't good enough.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-22-2021 at 10:17 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    As do I. The show seems to care the least about him or his POV, and he seems to only be there to deal with the fallout of whatever selfish dumb **** Jordan has decided to do that given day. He's effectively Jordan's supporting character, and seems to be designed in a way that he returns to his neutral position of super supportive and protective brother at the start of every episode no matter what Jordan has done to him be it directly or indirectly.

Jordan breaks his wrist and potentially dashes his dreams of playing football forever? Preview for next episode has Jon risking his life to drive them somewhere while Jordan has a super hearing fit.
    I believe they are driving to where Superman is. Cpt Luthor likely has him trapped wherw he could kill him and Jordan heard his father in pain and both boys are trying to get to him using Jordan's hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    If true, what an ironic turn of events because I thought part of the point of Jon Kent Superman was to tell different stories you couldn’t tell with Clark, since Clark had to be the “perfect” one while Jon was the relatable one who was allowed to make mistakes, but now CW Jon is the one boxed into being the perfect brother while the new OC is the one they have free reign on.

I can’t even laugh, man. I guess comics are cyclical.
    Very, very ironic indeed. I feel the comics are simply overstating how different they want to make Jon compared to his dad when the truth of the matter they just want Jon to be a younger version of his dad and not his own person.
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 05-22-2021 at 11:55 PM.

i don't care if he does.But,the idea of him wouldn't.They would try again with something else.why?cause superman is stagnant as an IP....
    Oh, I agree with you. However, literally any other character because they are more original would be a better replacement candidate than Bland Teen Jon: give me Kara, give me Steel, give me Calvin, give me Val-Zod, heck, give my Connor in a pinch. ABBTJ I say, anybody but Bland Teen Jon the Superman Mini-Me.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    ....Very, very ironic indeed. I feel the comics are simply overstating how different they want to make Jon compared to his dad when the truth of the matter they just want Jon to be a younger version of his dad and not his own person.
    Indeed, indeed, smoke & mirrors, you win the Internet. Not that guessing their lame tired old plan is difficult given the abundance of evidence. The Comic Book Industry's inability to truly change and evolve with the times by moving its characters forward in a meaningful fashion will prove its death (more so the floppies than the basic IPs). Marvel is at least trying (well, other than Peter Parker), DC not so much.
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-23-2021 at 09:49 AM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Didn't see a post for this. Here is the synopsis for the June 8th episode:

https://comicbook.com/dc/news/superm...sis-revealed/#
    Assassinate Putin!

Oh, I agree with you. However, literally any other character because they are more original would be a better replacement candidate than Bland Teen Jon: give me Kara, give me Steel, give me Calvin, give me Val-Zod, heck, give my Connor in a pinch. ABBTJ I say, anybody but Bland Teen Jon the Superman Mini-Me.
    They could.And i say have at it.I don't care.For me a superman is just an action character that fights for the weak.But for the company,none of those guys have selling point.kara is girl superman for female fans primarly.steel as character is bland as heck!.general public already got ironman.Conner?the guy hasn't been able to find a niche since the 90s.They been trying to shove goldenage superman attributes to the guy half assedly since 2000s.why bother with val-zod?You could have a black clark kent.we might be getting that.Jon literally can be built from ground up with his own cast,setting...etc.He is the son of superman.He is like peter parker or dick grayson in superman costume.On top of that,they have been building up him since his inception.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-23-2021 at 11:09 AM.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Given its Taylor though, I’m worried how he’s going to handle that. Sure there’s a lot of potential in Jon approaching the mantle in a different way than his dad did, as a hybrid he thinks of humanity in terms of “us” as opposed to his dad thinking “they”, and should feel less bothered at the notion of “interfering”. But Taylor also just straight up wrote Jon as no different than Clark in DCeased, and he’s still probably the most boring choice to handle differentiating the two in my opinion.
    Yeah, Jon in Dead Planet is not much different than Clark, but I’m giving DCeased a pass since it’s an ensemble cast and there isn’t as much space for individual character development. Jon’s solo series should give Taylor a lot more unique elements (and trauma) to work with. And he also did say this:

Time will tell of course, but I’m hoping that Taylor can write Jon with a fresh perspective and unique voice.

Invincible shows that there’s definitely an interest in the “son of Superman” taking over the role of Earth’s greatest hero. I don’t really see Mark being very different from what could be done with Jon, as opposed to Jordan who has a whole host of issues.
    Now I’m imagining Injustice Superman holding Jon in front of a train...

I'm open to Show Jon getting a spinoff but it's one of those "I'll judge it when I see it" things. I like him more with the Ravers than the Legion tho.