Page 8 of 127 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Eh. It won't make up for the fact that AT&T/WB no longer have faith in Superman as a bankable film star (only reason this show exists) and I'm still not fond of this Superfamilyman push in recent years and this probably won't change my mind. But this pilot episode was nice, well made, and the visuals were gorgeous. The action didn't really impress me any, but that's a small nitpick. Largely, this is a good first episode.

I thought it was really good! I think Hoechlin's firmly my #2 favorite Superman/Clark actor after Reeve, and he really came into his own here. Its the most visually impressive Arrowverse show by far, and the easter eggs and callbacks the comics and previous adaptations really highlight how much the writers seem to appreciate the character's history. a few thoughts:
    - Ha! The Injustice video game exists in this universe?!? I wonder how differently Jordan is gonna see that game knowing that it portrays his father as a deranged psychopath, and that he and his mother are basically killed off in the opening scene, lol.
    -Given the context, I kinda figure poor Martha just wanted Clark to come home so he could help save her from the stroke, not ask her son to rethink his life, but hey, if it works out for them.
    -I don't mind this Jonathan not having powers. I like that he's clearly got his brother's back even if they're always bickering. Also 3 characters with kryptonian powers might be overkill
    -That being said, Lana's totally going to be Superwoman isn't she? she even said it herself. I'm guessing Kyle is the Tommy Merlyn/Eddie Thawne of the show and will die heroically to serve Lana and Sera's character development.

I do have a few concerns though. Lois was good here but should have gotten a lot more to do. Thats ok for the first episode but needs to change, especially with her name in the title. I'm also still not sold on the move back to Smallville or farmer Clark. Hope the rest of the season can keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    - Ha! The Injustice video game exists in this universe?!? I wonder how differently Jordan is gonna see that game knowing that it portrays his father as a deranged psychopath, and that he and his mother are basically killed off in the opening scene, lol.
    I didn't see that - the the MK vs DC game.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I think the kid would love it.He seems to love gods.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I thought it was really good! I think Hoechlin's firmly my #2 favorite Superman/Clark actor after Reeve, and he really came into his own here. Its the most visually impressive Arrowverse show by far, and the easter eggs and callbacks the comics and previous adaptations really highlight how much the writers seem to appreciate the character's history. a few thoughts:
    -Given the context, I kinda figure poor Martha just wanted Clark to come home so he could help save her from the stroke, not ask her son to rethink his life, but hey, if it works out for them.
    -I don't mind this Jonathan not having powers. I like that he's clearly got his brother's back even if they're always bickering. Also 3 characters with kryptonian powers might be overkill
    -That being said, Lana's totally going to be Superwoman isn't she? she even said it herself. I'm guessing Kyle is the Tommy Merlyn/Eddie Thawne of the show and will die heroically to serve Lana and Sera's character development.

I do have a few concerns though. Lois was good here but should have gotten a lot more to do. Thats ok for the first episode but needs to change, especially with her name in the title. I'm also still not sold on the move back to Smallville or farmer Clark. Hope the rest of the season can keep it up.
    Well the Lana actress certainly has the body to pull that off

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Well the Lana actress certainly has the body to pull that off
    Not sure it's a direction I see the show taking. I think that comment was more of a wink wink sort of comic reference, that I doubt many viewers will get. Also wouldn't want the show to get too full of Supers, something I think is plaguing Flash in regards to metas on the team. With Clark and Jordan, and potentially Jon, the show will be more than stacked in the Superdepartment. Though Actually, a story where Clark's powers transfer to Lana temporarily like Smallville could be cool also.
    Last edited by GSman; 02-24-2021 at 03:38 AM.

Does anyone here really want jon to have powers,here?I am ok with jon becoming an old pulp hero like zorro or phantom something.That is batman with a personality.Essentially nightwing,for those that don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Does anyone here really want jon to have powers,here?I am ok with jon becoming an old pulp hero like zorro or phantom something.That is batman with a personality.Essentially nightwing,for those that don't understand.
    I still think Batman has a personality, but meh - I'm not tuning in for the kids. Just give Superman and Lois fun things to do.

BANNED

Batman.has a personality, the fact its not a personality you personally like doesn't make it nonexsitent.

Honestly I expect him to kind of go down the diluted powers route similar to Conner or maybe more like the Guardian, that he will discover that he is not invulnerable but he has a decent amount of strength. Because come on that football rope thing as a kid cannot just be all skill, I'm suspecting while Jordan is going more the full powers route Jon will get at least a few gimmicks.

But I liked Jon in this, he is cocky but he also has that attitude of "I give my brother a hard time sometimes but thats just brother stuff, overall I love him and wish him the best". Because really people will look at Jon as the cool one because he is this star athlete with Jordan being the loner but Jon will know that his brother is destined for greatness in a way.

Also yeah the Injustice 2 bit was a bit odd, I get what they were going for there but that is also a videogame where Superman is not only evil but the story openly references his identity so... best not to question it.
    Last edited by sifighter; 02-24-2021 at 06:18 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

I'm going to enjoy powerless Jon for as long as it lasts before they inevitably give him powers.

Extraordinary Member

This is filmed in the Vancouver area, right? Because the Smallville bits looked very much like I imagine Kansas to look like. Quite...nice in a way I'm totally unused to; those vast open spaces.

As a counterpoint to most of the view offered so far, I didn't like this as much as I hoped. I thought it was a bit...boring, I'm afraid. There were nice touches, the nod to Lois and Clark, ("my mom made it for me"), the video game, (was it Injustice 2, which does have a Raiden DLC, or was it ML vs DC?), and a few other things like the Golden Age "S".

The two leads were fine. Supergirl was completely ignored, as if she doesn't exist in that world, even at a point where she would have been very useful. Does General Lane know who she is? Recastings galore. The Kryptonite is only fatal if you don't suddenly decide you don't want it to be trope. The very surprise reveal of which of their sons it was....I mean NO one could have seen that coming the instant they were introduced. I CERTAINLY didn't...

The FX were....okay. Some were quite good for a CW budget. The chase scene for example, and the flying over water very fast....always a great go-to shot for Superman...or any Kryptonian. On the whole, the FX were superior IMO to most CW shows, but vastly inferior to Krypton for example.

It didn't turn me off completely, is my conclusion, and I'll give it another go or two. It wasn't terrible, but it could have been better. It's on my probation list...

And they better address how Cryer Lex reacts to a copy, (in his mind), trying to kill his Superman. I can't imagine he'd like that; Superman is HIS.
    Last edited by achilles; 02-24-2021 at 06:48 AM.

My wife and I really enjoyed the pilot. It was fun seeing all the nods to the tons of media Superman has appeared in before. I loved his Fleisher costume. I actually said "oh wow!" when I saw it. I also really enjoyed the reactor save at the beginning. It was a fun way to see Superman use a variety of his powers to solve a problem as well a just being a cool Superman feat. The new suit looks great. I enjoyed that they dove right into some issues like struggling newspapers and working class struggles. The dialogue about how if people leave town to get an education should bring those skills back and help their community was a nice touch. I found a lot to like here and just had genuine fun watching it. I like that Clark has both problems his powers can solve and problems his powers can't solve. They blended all sorts of things from the Superman mythos into something that feels fresh. I thought the cast did a good job too. I was looking forward to this and was not disappointed.

Loved the pilot. Aside from how Lois is used in the story, I was always underwhelmed by how they wrote her previously in this universe, but in this episode the actress was great, specially in the first 10 minutes where we saw her more typical Lois side. Loved all the relationships and it doesn't seem to me like they are necessarily trying to hint at any romantic tension between Clark and Lana, thankfully, although it could still happen.

Most of the episode was really well made, but the climax in space between Clark and the villain was, very poorly made. It wasn't just the special effects, the sound itself felt so amateur. There was no ambient sound to create a notion of higher atmosphere, and even the voice itself didn't feel either realistic or dramatic enough. It was just so off putting. Heck, the montage of the fight in parallel with Jon and Jordan just showed how much better the real world stuff was than that scene in space.

PLEASE IGNORE JON CRYER. Some people have convinced me that he isn't all that bad, but I still think he is an underwhelming choice as Lex Luthor. Nothing against the guy, just can't take him seriously, and he certainly does not fit the tone of this show.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I still think Batman has a personality, but meh - I'm not tuning in for the kids. Just give Superman and Lois fun things to do.
    More often than not,he comes of like a stick for me.Too serious.Not that batman can't have a personality.