Default Future State Exit Poll

One of the first things I was taught (via YouTube admittedly) about comics is that you should follow the talent (the artists, the writers, or even the colorist if that's your vibe) instead of strictly following characters. So with Future State winding down, and DC officially entering it's post-Metal era, I'm curious how people are feeling about the talent showcased in Future State? who've impressed you? which ones failed to impress you? who have been your standouts? and are there any creative teams who's work you are looking forward to post Future State?

I have quite a few that I was really impressed by, most of the books I wouldn't mind picking up more from their creative team, but the top 5 I got my eye on are:
    • John Ridley
    • Brandon Thomas
    • Mirko Tamaki
    • Joelle Jones
      and
    • Ram V

with the top 5 artists that impressed me being
    • Otto Schmidt
    • Sumit Kumar
    • Joelle Jones
    • Daniel Sampere
      (and I'm shocked I'm saying this)
    • Mikel Janin
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-22-2021 at 10:58 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I’m not going to name creators going in I knew I liked, so no Joshua Williamson, Ram V, John Ridley, Brandon Thomas, Robbie Thompson or Gene Yang.

Writers

1. Stephanie Phillips- I could tell that she was having fun with Harley Quinn but was also restrained by two issues, so I’m excited to see what she does on Harley Quinn especially since she’s working on the Poison Ivy romance.

2. Mariko Tamaki- This is an odd one because she’s a writer I know but I haven’t liked her previous big work, mainly her She-hulk run. However she did a great job on Dark Detective and can’t wait to see her plans for Detective Comics.

3. Tim Sheridan- I had to look past Future State a bit here, because frankly when he showed off flashbacks in Teen Titans you could get the feel for what he wants to do in Titans Academy and it just feels fun.

4. Geoffery Thorne- I get a real feel from reading his Green Lantern that he has a love for sci-fi that I think will work nicely with Green Lantern

5. Joelle Jones- Never read anything by her before but I loved Yara and can’t wait for the Wondergirl run.

Artists

1. Mike Perkins-Swamp Thing was beautifully designed

2. Dan Mora-His art sold future state, and also dark detective

3. Joelle Jones- repeat of the Wondergirl comment

4. Marcio Takara- Justice League Dark looked good

5. Laura Braga- Nick Derington sold me on Next Batman, but Braga had solid art design that I appreciated while reading Next Batman.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Intersting idea for a thead, I'd say the writers that impressed me the most were:

-Dan Watters
    -Joshua Williamson
    -Matthew Rosenberg
    -Phillip Kennedy Johnson
    -Ram V
    -Andrew Constant

As for the event as a whole, I think it fufilled it's role as a 2 month filler event. IMO, I found myself enjoying more future state books than I did the last time DC did something of this scale (convergene.) I also like the way DC is clearly using some of the concepts that worked in the main universe, without it feeling forced.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I’m not going to name creators going in I knew I liked, so no Joshua Williamson, Ram V, John Ridley, Brandon Thomas, Robbie Thompson or Gene Yang.

Writers

1. Stephanie Phillips- I could tell that she was having fun with Harley Quinn but was also restrained by two issues, so I’m excited to see what she does on Harley Quinn especially since she’s working on the Poison Ivy romance.

2. Mariko Tamaki- This is an odd one because she’s a writer I know but I haven’t liked her previous big work, mainly her She-hulk run. However she did a great job on Dark Detective and can’t wait to see her plans for Detective Comics.

3. Tim Sheridan- I had to look past Future State a bit here, because frankly when he showed off flashbacks in Teen Titans you could get the feel for what he wants to do in Titans Academy and it just feels fun.

4. Geoffery Thorne- I get a real feel from reading his Green Lantern that he has a love for sci-fi that I think will work nicely with Green Lantern

5. Joelle Jones- Never read anything by her before but I loved Yara and can’t wait for the Wondergirl run.

Artists

1. Mike Perkins-Swamp Thing was beautifully designed

2. Dan Mora-His art sold future state, and also dark detective

3. Joelle Jones- repeat of the Wondergirl comment

4. Marcio Takara- Justice League Dark looked good

5. Laura Braga- Nick Derington sold me on Next Batman, but Braga had solid art design that I appreciated while reading Next Batman.
    Tim Sheridan really impressed me too, I feel the exact same way. while I wasn't super crazy about the premise of the Future part of his story, the execution was solid and the ideas he's building toward for Titans Academy seem very promising. if I had to stick strictly to people I didn't already like going in I'd swap out Ridley and Thomas for Sheridan and Marguerite Bennett (and toss in Marguerite Sauvage as 6th man on art).

EDIT: Oh and Brandon Easton as 6th man on writers I guess (for symmetry ) because while I thought his Mr. Miracle was just sorta solid, it somehow also made me really excited for his Mister Miracle mini.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-22-2021 at 10:57 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post

Wonder if you'd like the Supergirl: Being Super miniseries that Tamaki wrote and Jones illustrated, if you haven't read it before.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Top 3 Writers:
    Ram V
    Brandon Thomas
    Andrew Constant

Top 3 Artists:
    Daniel Sampere
    Mike Perkins
    Marcio Takara

I’ve already been following Joelle Jones, Mikel JanÃ*n, and Otto Schmidt for a while now. Out of these three, Schmidt was the stand-out to me. I’ve never been so impressed by his interiors.

Aditya Bidikar's lettering on Swamp Thing also attracted my attention. Especially his sound-effects.

I agree that Sheridan has shown some promising glimpses into the Titans' past. He hasn't entirely convinced me yet, but I'll definitely keep an eye on him. He is one of the creators that are incredibly enthusiastic about their work and that shows. I get a similar vibe from Geoffrey Thorne.

Brandon Thomas Aquaman has been a huge disappointment -
    Never read such a confused story with no explanations to many unanswered questions.
    Since when Atlanteans swim? and not propel themselves? Like saying Superman flapping his hands to fly.
    Much unfamiliarity with the subjects he has written is shown.

I mostly picked up stuff by creators that I already like. Only Ram V was new one to me and I enjoyed his Swamp Thing.

Empty is thy hand!

I'm happy for more Mark Russell. His work is always thoughtful and thorough.

The biggest stand out for me was Joelle Jones and her Wonder Woman book. Of what i read everything ranged from good to ok.

I only disliked the Flash book.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

I enjoyed the entire main story FS Superfamily line so:
    PKJ
    Lewis
    Watters
    Bennett
    Yang
    Russell
    Definitely hope to see more work from all of them

Easton - His Mister Miracle backups were tepid to me, but I loved his Truth & Justice Superman story so I’ll be checking out his MM mini. Maybe he’ll do better with more pages.

For FS Batman
    Ridley - Eh it was fine. I’m kinda curious to see more about Jace, but it feels too safe to me.
    Tamaki - Fairly typical Bruce Wayne Batman stuff with killer Mora art. No complaints but nothing great either.
    Williamson - The Red Hood story was boring with weak art.
    Ayala - Her Batgirls story was terrible, very disappointed. Nobody’s voice felt in character to me.
    Whoever wrote GCS - Godawful, probably the worst thing I’ve read in a while.
    Whoever wrote Nightwing - Good job, wouldn’t mind seeing them write more Nightwing.
    Jenkins - I enjoyed his Arkham Knight stuff.

Thomas - Great job overall, definitely someone DC needs to give more books too. Both his Aquaman and his Outsiders were great!
    Ram V - Swamp Thing was perfect, if a little too familiar. Catwoman was good. JLD was good. Still one of the best writers at DC and doing mainstream superheroes period.
    Sheridan - He was ok. His Teen Titans and Shazam were darker than I want, but I’ll give Titans Academy a chance.
    Cloonan & Conrad - I enjoyed their stuff but I think they’re going to end up just doing an ok WW run rather than great.
    Thorne - Enjoyed his GL, looking forward to his run, but I’m praying that if he does take Stewart’s GL ring away it’s not for long. Honestly I want Stewart GL stories with Stewart as a GL, so I hope whatever depowerment happens as a result of the Central Power Battery exploding doesn’t last long.
    Flash - Awful, completely the opposite of what I want. I hope this is the last time we get crap like this for a while.
    Bendis - LoSH was same as his mainline LoSH, pretty art, mediocre story.
    Jones - I like Yara but I’m worried this is going to end up like her Catwoman: Gorgeous art for as long as she draws, but just ok writing. Was a solid start at least.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I only read Immortal Wonder Woman and I enjoyed it even if I felt it was hampered by trying to do squeeze a lot in two issues.

Same thoughts for the Nubia backup.