Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    How fast is Wally considered on Rumbles?
    unreasonably fast.

Jesus that's fast

Iiiit's worth noting that particular performance is explicitly marked at happening just under the speed of light. Makes no sense, I know, but all the same. Not as though Wally doesn't have other junk where he's doing the FTL+ shenanigans.

Yeah some have applied speed calcs to the feat from JLA 89 for Wally as between 13 and 14 trillion times light speed. I'm guessing the writer of that particular book was hired for his writing ability more so than his mathematical skills. AFAIK, Wally's best, non-amped stuff puts him in the pico second range. Disabling the Mirror Master's gun, running around and scanning a crowd of half a million people and finding two white martians and throwing them in front of Kyle Rayner's errant ring blast, and then bracing himself in our reality with an outstretched foot after having been sped up to move chaotically through dimensions by Titus, all feats that took place within a single pico second. Crazy fast. My favorite amped feats are his fight(s) with Zoom and beating the cosmic gamblers who teleported instantaneously through time.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

While (again) it's not his fastest feat, I'm still partial to the one of him being part of two different fights 1000 miles apart, in different costumes, at such speeds that even Superman (in one of the two fights) only realizes 'something weird is going on with Wally', not 'He's not here half the time'.

This ends with a magic portal opening up between the two fights and Wally looking at himself from both sides of the portal, in different costumes, some 3' apart from 'each other' (which is where we get the ~1.8 million times the speed of light calculation).
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 02-24-2021 at 09:45 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post

Any of the Archangel-class ships from Endymion and Rise of Endymion could as well.
    I love you.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Iiiit's worth noting that particular performance is explicitly marked at happening just under the speed of light. Makes no sense, I know, but all the same. Not as though Wally doesn't have other junk where he's doing the FTL+ shenanigans.
    For those who are so inclined, I did a write up on this one breaking down why the art, the description and the timings all kind of contradict each other to make the feat a bit of a mess which I'll repost here:

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Just to expand on this a little, because I'm on the topic and I love being excessively pedantic - I want to stress the importance of statements versus actually mechanically done things in feats.

So, let's quickly look at the feat where Flash evacuates a city mid nuclear explosion.

The key thing I want to highlight here is the contradictory information given by the narration.

"At 13:57 and 0.00001 microseconds, half a million Koreans seem to materialize on a hilltop 35 miles away from the blast. They were carried here. One at a time, sometimes two, at a hair's breadth short of the speed of light,"

Now, if you've been paying attention to my breakdown above you'll be thinking that this is some pretty suspect narration. The issue with using this feat is how we interpret it and look at the information we are apparently given.

Let's start with stated timescale. Flash is stated as having achieved this feat in 0.00001 microseconds. This is 1/100th of a nanosecond or 10 picoseconds. The fact that Flash is covering more than 3.33 millimetres in 10 picoseconds means /he has to be going quite a lot faster than the speed of light/ as the narration would have us believe.

Second, the distance covered versus his stated speed. Flash is said to have been going "just under the speed of light," Based on my calculations, ignoring the fact that he did some of them in twos, Flash would have covered 35 miles (at most) 532,000 times which is 59,931,821,600 metres (Almost 60 billion metres). Obviously the true number is a bit lower but it's a fairly round number so it makes calculation easier.

The speed of light is 299,792,458 metres/second which means to run that distance at that speed would take around 200 seconds or 3.3 minutes. So the speed measurement again is categorically wrong even if we ignore the stated timescale because nuclear bombs take less than 3.3 minutes to happen and Flash managed to get everyone out before the bomb went off.

OR DID HE...?!

Another issue is the sequencing of the art and how explosions work. The bomb went off "at 13:57," and we can see in the art that the explosion has already occurred even though there is no one on the hill. If the three panels are showing the progression of the explosion, all the people should already be there on the first panel because the light from the explosion has travelled far enough to see from 35 miles away.

From the instant the bomb went off, in ten picoseconds, the light and radiation of the bomb explosion would have travelled 3.33 millimetres. The pressure wave and the mushroom cloud are relative eons away because they don't move at lightspeed. For people to still be appearing while the mushroom cloud is building, which the art clearly shows, technically Flash actually failed in doing this feat as described.

This also invalidates the timing listed because we can see things happening in way more time than the stated timescale. It's nuts.

So, what's my point here?

Honestly, not much. This feat is very cool but it's definitely one of those ones where, if you look at it for about a minute you go "Wait, what?"

Were I writing the feat, I would sequence the art differently, have the stated timeframe a little higher maybe have it like... 15 - 20 nanoseconds or something (0.002 microseconds) and just say it was generically "faster than light,"

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    I love you.
    I love you more.

For those who are so inclined, I did a write up on this one breaking down why the art, the description and the timings all kind of contradict each other to make the feat a bit of a mess which I'll repost here:
    Nik Presents is probably in my top 5 favorite Interwebz time-wasters.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Damn, wally thinking that he saved those people was actually a trick of Zoom!
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Nik Presents is probably in my top 5 favorite Interwebz time-wasters.
    High level pedantry for your entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Damn, wally thinking that he saved those people was actually a trick of Zoom!
    It's a bit telling that my first thought was the video conferencing program and not the actual Flash supervillain.

Ah the poisoned brain of the pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Orders of magnitude slower. His feat from JLA Secret Files 2004 puts him roughly at 1.8 million times the speed of light. Assuming we lowball it*.

Now, that's Flash really, really pushing himself, saying things like 'faster than I've ever run before.' Not entirely sure it's true, but Wally is certainly going all-out.

* by 'lowball', I mean 'not going with the implication that he's actually IN two places at the same time'. **

** ...also not taking into account that he's changing his clothes.
    Oh, come on. That's not fair. The Enterprise doesn't wear any clothes to change. I'm sure it could change from a gold to a blue shirt while at Warp speed. At least it was smart enough to avoid red until ST 3.
    Power with Girl is better.

Ultimate Member

Going by feats, Wally is a broken character.

And I'm not even joking.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Can Wally even run in space? So if it's a race from Starfleet Headquaters in LA to Bajor, can he even do it?
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

As I recall, running in space is not something Wally (or Barry for that matter) can do consistently.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Can Wally even run in space? So if it's a race from Starfleet Headquaters in LA to Bajor, can he even do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    As I recall, running in space is not something Wally (or Barry for that matter) can do consistently.
    That also begs the question of how does he not fly off the face of the Earth everytime he goes even a fraction of Lightspeed. He's not just going much faster than escape velocity, he's running much faster than Earth's own rotation and orbital path.

If someone says Speed Force, so help me... *waves fist*

With that said, I wonder if he can just super-jump off a planet merely by running fast enough to gain momentum and, assuming he aims properly, can just shoot through space like a FTL projectile.