Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Finally. Refined opinions from men of impeccable taste.
    Here me out:

CHILLI ON INFINITE EARTHS, the next big DCU crossover event!

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    . . . So in practise, I think they will stick with the idea that Green Arrow is a contemporary of the JLA, and that he dated the second Black Canary AKA Dinah Laurel Lance...to keep things simple. Now exactly how old her mom, Dinah Drake is, will be a whole other debate...I think maybe an argument can be made that the JSA were 'extracted' from the Linearverse during its Golden Age iteration, and then 're-inserted' during its Modern Age iteration Post-COIE (which does reflect the real-world publishing history with E1/E2 and then the merger. Time will tell). Maybe, if someone wants to have fun with the idea, some modern GA/BC story can throw a sly reference to the time Dinah had her mother's memories and thought she was her mom for a bit...and how that freaked Ollie out! But by and large, I think the Linearverse is more about broadly honoring all past iterations of DC mainstream canon...without necessarily deep-diving into these kinds of nitty-gritties . . .
    But how would that explain Green Arrow (and the Roy Harper version of Speedy) having been members of the Golden Age Seven Soldiers of Victory?

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2021

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But how would that explain Green Arrow (and the Roy Harper version of Speedy) having been members of the Golden Age Seven Soldiers of Victory?

That the original Shining Knight? What's the story here? I thought he's an Arthurian character
    Then again, Morgaine and most of Demon Knights are immortal...

I am not going to read through this whole thread for the reason I don't read DC's "fixing continuity" mega-stories anymore. My two cents though: It's just a bunch of nonsense to give some convoluted in-story reason for the fact that these are comic book stories. We all know they are - why does DC always feel a need to explain every little continuity inconsistency? Some things just don't line up - we get it. Just tell good stories with the characters that aren't meta-commentaries about how these are all comic books. People must be buying this stuff since DC keeps making these stories, but I'll be over there reading titles that are about the actual characters.

Astonishing Member

Good question!

What's the point of beginning in 1938 if the Golden Age is going to be excluded?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    First: define "Clutterverse"?

Next: Who's in? Who's out? (for example: where does the Crime Syndicate of America fit in?)
    I reiterate: Who's in?

JSA
    ISA
    SSOV
    JLA
    IG
    SSoSV
    Teen Titans
    CSA?
    Huntress?
    Power Girl?

How is the LinearVerse going to work? Who's included?
    Last edited by scary harpy; 02-25-2021 at 11:25 AM.

Astonishing Member

I don't think they will. Its not something that gets brought up a lot in the comics anyway these days (and there's already a Post-COIE version of the Seven Soldiers anyway, so I'm guessing that's the 'canon' version now).

Now...if they really want to address it, they can come up with some timey-wimey explanation for how GA and Speedy ended up in the past for a while as part of the Seven Soldiers. Or just highlight how a previous iteration of GA and Speedy were a part of the Seven Soldiers, and maybe restore theirs and other people's memories of it.

Again, when it comes to some characters, I think they might stick to stuff which is regarded as the default 'classic' version now. With Green Arrow, the island origin is the default, as is being a Justice League member rather than a Seven Soldiers member. They'll try to fit in everything that they can, and maybe nod towards how things were once 'different'.

Incredible Member

I don't think they will. Its not something that gets brought up a lot in the comics anyway these days (and there's already a Post-COIE version of the Seven Soldiers anyway, so I'm guessing that's the 'canon' version now).

Now...if they really want to address it, they can come up with some timey-wimey explanation for how GA and Speedy ended up in the past for a while as part of the Seven Soldiers. Or just highlight how a previous iteration of GA and Speedy were a part of the Seven Soldiers, and maybe restore theirs and other people's memories of it.

Again, when it comes to some characters, I think they might stick to stuff which is regarded as the default 'classic' version now. With Green Arrow, the island origin is the default, as is being a Justice League member rather than a Seven Soldiers member. They'll try to fit in everything that they can, and maybe nod towards how things were once 'different'.
    It's no big loss if they leave out the island origin or retcon it around.

It's just a funky Elseworld like John Byrne's Generations minis except the costumes follow classic style guides!

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Isn't this essentially what hypertime is? Or am I misunderstanding that concept?

Astonishing Member

Except that sounds more like the Roy Thomas' explanation for the longevity of the JSA members or the weird John Byrne explanation in She Hulk about character's aging being tied to whether they were being written about. It's too random.

The Linearverse seems to be more of an across-the-board explanation. If there was a story with Character A set in 1942 then the character was active in 1942. If there are a dozen stories with Character A set between 1942 and 2022 and the character doesn't seem to have aged 80 years, its due to how aging works. No time travel, no multiple versions of the character- everyone from Superman and Batman down to Slam Bradley are all covered to let every appearance they make part of one person's lifetime.

If you start picking and choosing which Golden Age heroes counted and which didn't or feel the need to explain how a non-powered character was an active hero or villain for over half a century- you miss the point.
    Last edited by Jon Clark; 02-25-2021 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    Isn't this essentially what hypertime is? Or am I misunderstanding that concept?
    Hypertime, as a very general explanation, is more like differing potential timelines on one world. Differing from the Multiverse of course in the sense that concept utilizes actual different copies of worlds. This is just saying "its comics so Batman's just really old without physically aging and everything happened to this one specific character on the exact same world in the exact same timeline".
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-25-2021 at 12:17 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Except that sounds more like the Roy Thomas' explanation for the longevity of the JSA members or the weird John Byrne explanation in She Hulk about character's aging being tied to whether they were being written about. It's too random.

The Linearverse seems to be more of an across-the-board explanation. If there was a story with Character A set in 1942 then the character was active in 1942. If there are a dozen stories with Character A set between 1942 and 2022 and the character doesn't seem to have aged 80 years, its due to how aging works. No time travel, no multiple versions of the character- everyone from Superman and Batman down to Slam Bradley are all covered to let every appearance they make part of one person's lifetime.

If you start picking and choosing which Golden Age heroes counted and which didn't or feel the need to explain how a non-powered character was an active hero or villain for over half a century- you miss the point.
    This makes sense.

Also, the LinearVerse feels more...magical? Like a fantasy realm...or is it just me.

It's frustrating. While I don't expect DC to think about it, some (not nearly all) societal/political/etc. changes come largely from the old dying off and/or a new generation coming into positions of authority: a sort of gradual attrition of the things being done the old way. And so I don't think society would look the same in 2021 if the bulk of people alive lived through the Great Depression and WW II (in appropriate countries), and we have living people who were slaves in the 1800s and so forth and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    . . . And so I don't think society would look the same in 2021 if the bulk of people alive lived through the Great Depression and WW II (in appropriate countries) . . .
    Maybe if the bulk of people alive had lived through the Great Depression and World War II, things wouldn't be so badly screwed up as they are these days in Washington D.C. / U.S. politics . . .

FWIW, my Mom was born in 1930. She'll turn 91 this summer.

Maybe if the bulk of people alive had lived through the Great Depression and World War II, things wouldn't be so badly screwed up as they are these days in Washington D.C. / U.S. politics . . .

FWIW, my Mom was born in 1930. She'll turn 91 this summer.
    I can't agree with you at all and found the insult to the people living today and the implication that prior generations were superior (especially as it seems more directed at the young) completely unnecessary, but it's irrelevant whether the world (or country) would be better or worse - the point for me is that it's a real hard sell that it's the same as in our world.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 02-25-2021 at 02:27 PM.