Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Continuity and shared universes only works if the writers/editors engaged in creating content are acting in good faith. It doesn't work if you have someone like Bendis claiming that he's being held back by the prior work of inferior writers and doesn't care about how a character was used by his supposedly inferior predecessors. Or like Slott/the Fantastic Four editors who deliberately changed a character because they didn't want to share the character with the X-book. Or Joe Q breaking the marriage because of his personal issues or Dan Didio sabotaging the Flash book because he hates Wally. Or in the case of DC editorial where they pay lip service to continuity, but no one is on the same page and nobody is communicating about what they are doing due to inter-office politics. Ultimately the egos and pettiness of comic book creators undermines the idea of continuity.
    Which doesn't discard the importance or utility of staying in continuity and keeping a continuity, it just shows that the sorry mess that is current DC is incapable of doing so. Why must something made trivial by its competitors be so convoluted for DC? Why is DC so out of touch with its fanbase? These questions and more at 5.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gambit2051 View Post
    So how does Time Travel in DC work now exactly...???? Not like it was "working" before, but still...
    Omg let the dust settle before you give them any more ideas! We don't need people hopping from the Linearverse to the Omniverse to the... whateververse creating more continuity quagmires!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

This is an amazingly stupid idea.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But who's to say those creators won't play too roughly and wind up breaking the toys so that nobody else will want to play with them again?
    :
    There's always going to be bad stories and bad creative decisions. None of them are ever permanent because they can always be undone.

Comics shouldn't be operating from a place of fear, never wanting to take big swings because they're afraid of breaking any toys.

Let fans decide what stories and ideas are worth continuing and leave the shitty ones back on the shelf to collect dust.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 02-24-2021 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    Instead of viewing the Linearverse as some big continuity initiative, try viewing it as Dan Jurgens' toybox where everything kind of happened somehow.

I favor each creator who's proven themselves getting a universe to tinker in.

This happens to be Jurgens' and I'm here for seeing how he'd make it work.
    Ding! Ding! Ding!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Ollie often comes across as being one of the older heroes among the Justice League--after all he had been around since the early 1940s. And Dinah Drake Lance was one of the youngest of the Justice Society (joining in the late 1940s). So in 1969, I'm willing to believe they were the same age. Makes more sense than the stupid daughter retcon.

It comes off creepy in JLA:YEAR ONE (1998) when Oliver has to be a lot older than the daughter Dinah--given the continuity at the time which required Ollie to have been around a long time for it all to make sense.
    Dinah was 19 in JLA: Year One. So she was an adult.

I like have there is an elder Dinah who was in the JSA, and the more familiar modern Dinah who grew up with the JSA as her uncles.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Dinah was 19 in JLA: Year One. So she was an adult.

I like have there is an elder Dinah who was in the JSA, and the more familiar modern Dinah who grew up with the JSA as her uncles.
    Ooh, I wonder if they are keeping the story where she swapped bodies with her mom?

.... I still don't understand this. So, I'm ignoring it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Knowing DC, so will several (but not all) writers, and editorial will allow them to, and that will make it even more messy than the giant mess it already seems to be.

This. Close the thread now please.

DC needs to stop worrying about continuity and just tell good stories. Ever since Infinite Crisis things have gotten more and more unnecessarily complicated. Post-COIE had some problems, but nothing like everyone obsesses over now. I really wish they'd just leave it all along at this point.

Which is how these things should work. My head canon has so much stuff set on "ignore"

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Which is how these things should work. My head canon has so much stuff set on "ignore"
    Same here. Deaths and resurrections, toxic elements of romantic relationships, retcons to origins, power changes, personality changes, heroes doing bad things, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Same here. Deaths and resurrections, toxic elements of romantic relationships, retcons to origins, power changes, personality changes, heroes doing bad things, etc.
    BEGONE CHEATIN' OLLIE!

Back to the depths of Tartarus with ye!

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    BEGONE CHEATIN' OLLIE!

Back to the depths of Tartarus with ye!
    Yep. Same for cheating Dick, for me. Hank ever becoming Monarch. War Games. So many things.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Yep. Same for cheating Dick, for me. Hank ever becoming Monarch. War Games. So many things.
    Put in red-headed Jason Todd era as well.