Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

The way I see it the idea of the Linearverse pretty much defeats itself. That is, if the idea is to make everything canon within a singular timeline, then needing for a lot of stories to be altered in order to fit into that timeline basically defeats its purpose as what we will be seeing in the Linearverse isn't a case of everything from the Golden Age to now being canon for the characters, but something somewhat similar being canon (except of course all the things that can't work out without major rewrites)

I mean if the Golden Age Superman is supposed to be the one who goes on to become the current age Superman, then we have to write out every story where they met each other, and the same goes for a lot of other characters.

And if is not supposed to be a way of having everything be canon, but simply an alternate universe kinda like the stories published throughout the years then what's the real appeal? I mean as others have mentioned writers like Morrison for instance have had no problem drawing inspiration from and referring to the past in ways that integrate past tales back into the timeline, but in a way that just uses the parts that are needed for the story.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Not to mention the "Metaverse" solution Johns tried coming up with at the end of Doomsday Clock a little over a year ago (I can't even explain that one).
    To me the Metaverse was probably the best way to make everything canon in a way that made every universe that came before just as important to the whole as the one we're reading about just now.

And I find it pretty easy to explain. Just think of it as the history of the universe written down in a word document. Whenever you have a big crash (or crisis) you save the last stable backup in a document of its own (or universe of its own) and the document that got corrupted in the crash you start to rebuild by rewriting some of the stuff that was lost in new ways rather than just using the backup. So while some things are still present in the corrupted file you're also changing or reimagining things. As time goes on you might recall bits of the document that was lost and decide to reintegrate it into the new history.

So looking at this from a DC Universe perspective, you have the original DC Universe as it was during the Golden Age. When Barry Allen was struck by lightning and the Speed Force was created that caused caused the first "crisis" as it divided the universe, with the Golden Age Earth being split off from the main universe (becoming Earth-2) and the main universe then becoming Earth-1. So while the Golden Age was the real history of the universe up until that point, the history of the universe changed as the Golden Age was split off from it. The same thing happened when the first actual Crisis happened the pre-Crisis DC Universe was split of as another copy (Earth-1985) and the main universe Earth transformed into the post-Crisis Earth. The fact that we had some holdovers from the previous history of the Universe was that some of these characters had been outside of time when the changes happened so they had to be reintegrated. That's why some characters we're no longer remembered because they weren't supposed to be part of the new timeline, and others didn't change right away as the corrupted remnants of the old timeline hadn't completely been rewritten.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    The way I see it, the Omniverse is (or should be) a collection of many different multiverses. The multiverses we know would be the ones that originated from variations of the Metaverse. Each time the Metaverse evolved, it would create a new multiverse around it and the Omniverse would expand to preserve the previous multiverse.
    My "history of the Omniverse" head-canon:

- OG Earth-2 is the original version of the Metaverse, from before the Omniverse's first expansion.
    - The creation of Earth-1 as the new Metaverse marked the beginning of the First Multiverse, which encapsulated Earth-2, Earth-3, Earth-S and all of the original Earths that were seemingly extinct during the first Crisis.
    - After COIE, the new Metaverse known as New Earth's universe would have no knowledge of the survival of the previous Earths, as it would stand as the sole universe of its new multiverse. It's first contact with the larger Omniverse would have been Infinite Crisis.
    - Then Flashpoint happened and the Metaverse became the New 52. Like OG Earth-1 before it, New Earth's multiverse was also preserved and Morrison's Multiverse gravivated towards the new Metaverse, resulting in the multiverse we saw in Multiversity.
    - After Rebirth and Death Metal, the Metaverse kept evolving and now there's a new multiverse around it.

So the current Omniverse would consist of:
    - The Original Multiverse: OG Earth-1, Earth-2, Earth-3, Earth-S, Earth-X and so on.
    - The Unified Multiverse: New Earth as the sole universe.
    - The New 52 Multiverse: New 52 Earth-0, OGN's Earth-One, New 52 Earth-2 etc.
    - The Infinite Multiverse: Post-Death Metal DCU and all the new Earths connected to it, like the new Earth-3, a Future State Earth, Earth-M etc.
    - Other Multiverses without close ties to the Metaverse, like versions from other media.

In this scenario, everything would be preserved and the main DCU (current Metaverse) wouldn't need to be te answer to every single desire of the fans.
    Yep, that's pretty much how I see Omniverse too

Unless this is just Jurgen's own little playbox, the more I think about this, the more it sounds like DC just threw their hands up, decided they can never collaborate on a single agreeable take on these characters without another writer ruining it and just spilled all their toys on the floor. You get a toy, the other guy gets a toy, every one gets a toy, and everyone can use those toys however, whenever and whatever way they like and nobody has to play nice with each other.

We're okay with spoilers right?

It will endure in ways you can't imagine as you span the decades changing with the times as you align with the greatest heroes... as you fashion earth into the most unique of the Linearverse's worlds

That seems to imply that Linearverse is a Multiverse within the Omniverse but only on Earth, as in the main world of this Linear-Multiverse, the characters age slowly

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Well, they also said that time works differently in the Linearverse, which I took to mean that people age slowly from the viewpoint of other universes or realms of existence.
    Looks like you're right, in a way

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Unless this is just Jurgen's own little playbox, the more I think about this, the more it sounds like DC just threw their hands up, decided they can never collaborate on a single agreeable take on these characters without another writer ruining it and just spilled all their toys on the floor. You get a toy, the other guy gets a toy, every one gets a toy, and everyone can use those toys however, whenever and whatever way they like and nobody has to play nice with each other.
    "As Jurgens explains to Newsarama, the Linearverse is its own unique playground for now" - gamesradar

Like I don't know if this means only Jurgens using it... but if it's just Jurgens why is it in Generations... coz that sounds like they're prepping for the next big thing which is Infinite Frontier... the preview's out by the way
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 02-27-2021 at 09:47 AM.

So, I at first thought it was neat to get three of each of Batman/Superman/Wonder and and Dick Grayson (as I presume both Robins to be), but slightly strange for Supergirl to get as much, since she's a later comer and less omnipresent. Then, of course, I realized there were four Batmans, because of course he's most represented and gets front and center.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    So, I at first thought it was neat to get three of each of Batman/Superman/Wonder and and Dick Grayson (as I presume both Robins to be), but slightly strange for Supergirl to get as much, since she's a later comer and less omnipresent. Then, of course, I realized there were four Batmans, because of course he's most represented and gets front and center.
    Well, 1939 Batman was featured in the recent Generations story, and I'm assuming that character is the one clearly in the center of that page.

Oh, and if you'd prefer more Batman,

Infinite Frontier #0 preview

"Time has been restored to its proper configuration"

Ahahaha that's nice, Stranger

Which proper configuration though
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 02-27-2021 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

LOL, that will all depend on which Writer and Editor gets to which Characters 1st from the looks of it.

And quick message to those talking about Writers not being given control in a Universe like DCs...that is why there are books like Dark Knight Returns. Ones where a specific Writer takes a bunch of Characters and makes there own Story Universe out of DCs Toy Box.
    If you are going to refute, you need to do your own research.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    This is pretty stupid BUT it is exactly the same thing as Marvel sliding timeline except Marvel pretends we don't notice it is changing or they aren't holes. And apparently, I use to think that was stupid but I have learned today that trying to explain that process even more stupid.
    Yeah DC should just do what Marvel does and leave it at that. Don't try to explain it because it will never have a good explanation.

Honestly though, this will only bother me depending on how it effects comics I actually read. As long as Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman ect. comics still tell pretty cohesive and interesting stories that doesn't try to overcomplete itself with this new Linerverse thing, than I don't really care.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tenzel Kim View Post
    The way I see it the idea of the Linearverse pretty much defeats itself. That is, if the idea is to make everything canon within a singular timeline, then needing for a lot of stories to be altered in order to fit into that timeline basically defeats its purpose as what we will be seeing in the Linearverse isn't a case of everything from the Golden Age to now being canon for the characters, but something somewhat similar being canon (except of course all the things that can't work out without major rewrites)

I mean if the Golden Age Superman is supposed to be the one who goes on to become the current age Superman, then we have to write out every story where they met each other, and the same goes for a lot of other characters.

And if is not supposed to be a way of having everything be canon, but simply an alternate universe kinda like the stories published throughout the years then what's the real appeal? I mean as others have mentioned writers like Morrison for instance have had no problem drawing inspiration from and referring to the past in ways that integrate past tales back into the timeline, but in a way that just uses the parts that are needed for the story.
    A lot of people get stuck on this point...but Doomsday Clock already gave us an explanation.

Superman met the Earth Two Superman back in those stories...who is meant to represent the Golden Age Superman but is not literally the Golden Age Superman.

The Golden Age Superman, as published in the original comics, was rewritten to become the Silver Age Superman, and so on. But when that happened, Earth Two was created as a parallel universe to 'preserve' an approximation of the original Golden Age history, which included a doppelganger of Superman based on his Golden Age iteration. And this was Kal-L AKA the Earth Two Superman from all those Multiverse stories of the 70's and 80's, and who fought in COIE and IC before being killed by Superboy Prime.

This actually reflects the actual publishing history of Superman. The Golden Age stories and characters gradually evolved over time into what became the Silver Age versions. There was no dividing line between Earth Two and Earth One...no explicit reboot or reset. But the Earth Two Superman was later created in the 70's as a separate entity from the mainstream version of Superman, and the Golden Age stories were attributed to him.

That said, you have a point about the rest of it all...

I think both DC and Fans are overcomplicating this.

All that's ever mattered are the stories, so lets let the writers write and see how it all works out.

All-New Member

Infinite Frontier #0 preview

"Time has been restored to its proper configuration"

The one where they remember previous continuity but didnt live it, wich is what as been presented by DC as de way going forward.

The Linearverse is just a new paralel universe, like refered in the article that opened this thread the Linearverse is just the first new universe we get to know of the new universes that span in the new omniverse that is forming, is something not that different that from many other pararel universes that have existed before and will continue to exist in the future.

Like, the article perfectly states this is just something Jurgens pulled out of the remnants of 5G and that he didnt want to go complete to waste so he put it out there for someone who wants to use this concept. It cleary is not meant to be anything for the main earth other than another earth-2,3, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Post 1-Thing View Post
    The one where they remember previous continuity but didnt live it, wich is what as been presented by DC as de way going forward.

The Linearverse is just a new paralel universe, like refered in the article that opened this thread the Linearverse is just the first new universe we get to know of the new universes that span in the new omniverse that is forming, is something not that different that from many other pararel universes that have existed before and will continue to exist in the future.

Like, the article perfectly states this is just something Jurgens pulled out of the remnants of 5G and that he didnt want to go complete to waste so he put it out there for someone who wants to use this concept. It cleary is not meant to be anything for the main earth other than another earth-2,3, etc...
    He only said that it's own little corner but he didn't say whether it's the main or not... the timeline watcher just say Earth with no designations

To be honest I'm kinda hoping it's the main because even when the logistics are confusing, there's at least a base idea to go on. When Jurgens said that Year One takes place in the 30s, that's something I can imagine.

In Rebirth, they kinda just go with whatever they want. History is what they pick and choose in the present, or they just create a whole new back story. I have to rely on what they're writing now and in the future, instead of looking at the books already available.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 02-27-2021 at 11:35 AM.

All-New Member

He only said that it's own little corner but he didn't say whether it's the main or not... the timeline watcher just say Earth with no designations

To be honest I'm kinda hoping it's the main because even when the logistics are confusing, there's at least a base idea to go on. When Jurgens said that Year One takes place in the 30s, that's something I can imagine.

In Rebirth, they kinda just go with whatever they want. History is what they pick and choose in the present and because of that, it's harder to gauge anything. It's much more random because there's no definition at all.
    It would be very confusing if this is the main earth when theres an entire line of comics in the main earth coming up and theres no plans at the moment to do anything with the Linearverse.

As of now, DC has not announced any plans for more stories set in the Linearverse, but it is a new club in the bag for writers with a story to tell.
    And with how many times they refer to it as a new place in the multiverse and its own separate thing instead of just saying its the new status or the way to go:

Part of the new expanded Multiverse concept
    it all actually takes place in its own new corner of the Omniverse called the Linearverse,
    Dan Jurgens tells Newsarama the Linearverse gives readers "a place that embraces a different concept of DC history."
    "It's fair to say that what we built here, the Linearverse, is its own universe that can fit into the larger context of DC's Omniverse," explains Jurgens. "It's a place where some unique and individual stories can be told."
    "There are all sorts of stories and adventures worth exploring in the Linearverse," Jurgens concludes. "If readers like what they've seen, react well to the concept, and ask for more, it might just happen."
    But a week earlier on Tuesday, February 23 it is already in expansion mode with a new corner of the DCU within the Omniverse called the Linearverse.
    A separate reality within the brand-new Omniverse, this way of looking at DC's history takes a much simpler approach DC never tried in earnest ... until now.
    (Also how they say how it would have been if this was the new DC Continuity which is the most hard answer that its not meant to be)

Jurgens was very clear that while this new Linearverse "is a place where some unique and individual stories can be told," that it also fits within the "larger context of the Omniverse." But close watchers of DC can't also help but wonder what may have been, and whether this approach was once slated to be official DC continuity.

Like, they say so many times that this is its own thing in the universe and that is something that we will only se more if the fans want and if creators want to use that i actually think is more confusing how people are confused if this is the main timeline going forward.

I actually also like the concept and think theres some fun to be having here, but its definitely only meant to be its own earth that we might se in a mini-series or a multiverse crossover (maybe if Williamson really gets a book exploring the new omniverse?).
    Last edited by Just Post 1-Thing; 02-27-2021 at 11:54 AM.