Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    That's simply not going to happen. Line wide events and crossovers are needed to maintain sales due to the shrinking readerbase. Trying to enforce a no-crossover rule denies that the fundamentals of the direct market has changed and it goes back to a core problem with the previous publishing regime in that they treated DC like their personal fan club and not as a business out to make money. It seems like the internet fandom in general hasn't been able to deal with how much the publishing unit is dependent on putting out crossovers and seem to want to turn the clock back to an era that's no longer feasible in the current environment. And DC has become dependent on selling "Crises" because of the cost cutting and contractions in their publishing unit under the new regime and the total mismanagement of various ongoings by the previous regime. But even if they had competent leadership, 24/7 crossovers are still going to be the status quo, there's too much money there.
    In that case, we will never see an end to the constant reboots and meta-tinkerings.
    Unless they cut the line down to like ten titles a month.

It’s obvious that the editors are over-worked as it is.
    Or simply not doing what editors used to do.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Who's buying these events anyway? My impression is most people here are tired of it. I know that the people here are very small section of the fandom though. I see the same names over and over again there might as well be only 50 people.
    Twitter are pretty hype when it comes to... not event but specific creators, like the Snyder fans, and there seems to be a lot of them, so I guess, when it comes to the ones I can see online, them.

Astonishing Member

I think given how many Batbooks they are soliciting, it seems like the Batman fans really are buying everything Bat-related.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    It’s obvious that the editors are over-worked as it is.
    Or simply not doing what editors used to do.
    I agree. The new management wants to cut costs because of the debt. Other than the EiC, they probably haven't replaced the people that were eliminated and probably given their workload to a preexisting editor so they are probably being given more work with less people to handle it. And the previous regime seems to have favored the editors being involved creatively in books and pushing their favored personal ideas/characters. I think that tendency and the various line editors being not able to work together has made continuity so much more difficult at DC with contradictory attempts at doing the same thing.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 03-01-2021 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    I think given how many Batbooks they are soliciting, it seems like the Batman fans really are buying everything Bat-related.

I agree. The new management wants to cut costs because of the debt. Other than the EiC, they probably haven't replaced the people that were eliminated and probably given their workload to a preexisting editor so they are probably being given more work with less people to handle it. And the previous regime seems to have favored the editors being involved creatively in books and pushing their favored personal ideas/characters. I think that tendency and the various line editors being not able to work together has made continuity so much more difficult at DC with contradictory attempts at doing the same thing.
    A prime example recently would be in the Witching Hour story that involved multiple artists.
    Jesus Merino, Emanuela Luppachino, Fernando Blanco and Miguel Mendonca ended up with three different looks for Enchantress, one of which made her look like a female Damian in a green cloak.
    Meanwhile, Nightshade lost her mask between issues (making her look like Marvel's Sersi in the process), and the editor apparently didn't notice.

Granted, it was a weekly story running through two titles... but Chris Conroy was the editor on all the issues that Enchantress and Nightshade appeared in.
    Rebecca Taylor was the editor on only one part of the story, and the two characters didn't appear in her issue.

Also, the part of Event Leviathan that had Lois Lane talk like she was from the streets somehow made it past the editor, too.

Nothing takes me out of the story more than things like these.

I stopped reading the new Archie series when Reggie pulled up in his car to talk to Veronica, and magically switched from driving American to driving European, as he switched from the driver seat to the passenger seat, taking the steering wheel with him to talk with Veronica, who had also moved from one side of the car to the other.

And over in Legenderry, at Dynamite, I quit reading when Vampirella was seated in a restaurant talking with two men, and the men swapped seats in mid conversation, and back again.

Sometimes I wonder if editors even read the comics anymore.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    DC introducing a new wrinkle to classic continuity
    Would fabric softener help take care of that problem?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Would fabric softener help take care of that problem?
    Only if we drink it.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Only if we drink it.
    Nah. That only works with Kool Aid.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Only if we drink it.
    That would be reckless and irresponsible!

Everyone knows, you're supposed to inject fabric softener.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES