Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Icefan View Post
    DC just can't stop picking at the scab, can they?
    They were fine after CoIE and even after Zero Hour, but since Infinite Crisis...every Year it is a New Explanation about why they are actually forward thinking with their past failures at "fixing" their Continuity Problems...rather than every 10 years, we have a new Buzz Word for their "storytelling Universe" every 6 months...
    If you are going to refute, you need to do your own research.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

So, the citizens of Gotham City don't find it odd that billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne has barely aged a day since 1939??

Ohhhhhhh kay then!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    So, the citizens of Gotham City don't find it odd that billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne has barely aged a day since 1939??

Ohhhhhhh kay then!
    The citizens age slowly as well. They only mentioned Batman, Robin, and Gordon by name as an example but it's everyone.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

So, there's another Earth in an infinite Multiverse whose residents age incredibly slowly that contains much of DCU history, but as a linear thing without all the stops and starts?

So what?

Guys, what matters is the stories. This means jack squat as far as I'm concerned. If someone can tell an interesting story with this, they can. If they want to ignore it and tell stories in which the modern DCU is around 15 years old in perpetuity, they can do that, too--which is exactly what's going to happen.

All this means is there's another toy in the toy box for creators to use if they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    So, there's another Earth in an infinite Multiverse whose residents age incredibly slowly that contains much of DCU history, but as a linear thing without all the stops and starts?

So what?
    They said it out loud, I get what they are doing but someone at DC thought it was smart idea to explain why this phenomena happens in comics and then present it to fans ,AND it is a bad sounding idea once you hear out loud. This is something they should have kept in house and drop the name Linearverse when needed when talking about it to the public.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 02-24-2021 at 03:20 AM.

Amazing Member

I think the Linearverse has potential. Mind you, it would probably work better as a period piece perhaps set in the 1990's. However, it could be the generator of many interesting stories. The concept really isn't that different from what Darwyn Cooke did in New Frontier, in fact, the Linearverse could be considered to be the New Frontier Earth in modern times.
    Last edited by Heeroyuy_Batman; 02-24-2021 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    . . . All this means is there's another toy in the toy box for creators to use if they want.
    But who's to say those creators won't play too roughly and wind up breaking the toys so that nobody else will want to play with them again?

By the way, I had an awful thought: is the original explanation of the two Black Canaries, where the daughter had next-to-no childhood and was suddenly revived as an adult but with almost ALL the memories of her (then) dying mother (see: Justice League of America #219-220 from 1983) now back in play?!?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    By the way, I had an awful thought: is the original explanation of the two Black Canaries, where the daughter had next-to-no childhood and was suddenly revived as an adult but with almost ALL the memories of her (then) dying mother (see: Justice League of America #219-220 from 1983) now back in play?!?
    Man, that was easily the worst retcon pre-COIE. I can't believe one of the writers couldn't have come up with a better reason for Dinah's youthfulness than that pile of manure.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Man, that was easily the worst retcon pre-COIE. I can't believe one of the writers couldn't have come up with a better reason for Dinah's youthfulness than that pile of manure.
    Well, in all fairness, it wasn't just her age that was involved.
    They also had to deal with almost fifteen years of stories that had the Black Canary on Earth-One being a former JSA member originally from Earth-Two with all her memories / references.

Extraordinary Member

Black Canary definitely benefitted from Crisis on infinite Earths.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But who's to say those creators won't play too roughly and wind up breaking the toys so that nobody else will want to play with them again?

I'm kinda scared to ask the detail of that story so I'm not gonna... but my current question, now that you remind me about Dinah, is Oliver.

Since the timeline is linear, then Ollie would be in Dinah Drake's generation. So he's gonna date Dinah Drake instead of Lance this time?

Yeah, it was weird. And terrible. Of course, when Larry died, he was said to have been born in 1930 (died 1969, as it was a 1969 issue), so it wasn't using BC active in 1947, anyway.

I really don't like BC being a legacy, but am very much in the minority there.

The worst thing about making Dinah the daughter the first Dinah (even in the less-creepy, cleaned up post-COIE version) that by then, the JSA was indisputably tied to the 1940s and they knew characters could last decades by then. Making her the daughter of a '40s heroine was just kicking the can down the road, because in another 30 years being the daughter of a 40s heroine doesn't time out, either.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 02-24-2021 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Black Canary definitely benefitted from Crisis on infinite Earths.
    and when you move past batman and superman and begin to address other characters who are obviously different from their golden or silver age counterparts in some cases different people
    then this whole thing falls flat

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by gambit2051 View Post
    The funny thing is that Continuity is ONLY an Issue because DC has Always made it an Issue.
    But they haven't always made it an issue.

I realize I was born before the flood and to everyone else time began in 1992, but the evolution of continuity is an interesting topic for me. There was continuity in the very earliest comics, but it was internal to the character. There were some crossovers like the ALL-STAR COMICS 3 great gathering. But at the same time, because each character had their own continuity, there was never an effort to bring together different continuities--such as the different versions of Atlantis or ancient Egypt. Largely, editors didn't care at all about continuity.

There was some cross continuity between Superman and Batman in the 1950s. But most titles existed in their own worlds. A main continuity for the super-heroes starts to come together in 1959, with the Justice League--but this is limited to the titles edited by Julie Schwartz.

It's really in the 1970s when continuity starts to involve a lot more titles and the multiverse is given greater scope and other editors contribute to Schwartz's framework. But at the same time, there are lots of titles that have nothing to do with Earth-One, Earth-Two or any of that. One of the publisher's gold mines at that time was the horror anthologies, where writers just wrote stories, they didn't need to think about a continuity. Stories just stood on their own. Although Batman visited the House of Mystery--in the commonly out of continuity THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD--one didn't need to believe that Cain, Abel, the Three Witches or Destiny actually shared a universe with any of the super-hero comics. A book like THE WARLORD was not supposed to be on the same Earth as KARATE KID--they changed that later, altering the premise to make it fit in a strict continuity.

The Crisis imposed one continuity on all the mainstream titles--but there were still lots of comics that didn't have to be part of this one universe and one timeline.

I like continuity because it can create a lot of interesting stories and it's nice to see how everything connects. It can be a rewarding experience. But I don't think the publisher believed in that kind of continuity after Crisis. If they could get a hot writer to do a new series, they were willing to throw out continuity at the drop of a hat, so it wouldn't be too much hard work for the new writer--no need to do research. That's what made the comics a mess--because they insisted that there was just one universe and everything connected, yet they constantly had bits of continuity overhauled. And they kept having to patch it all up and make some excuse for why it was all wrong.

The ideal is something like the 1970s--where there are a number of titles that all exist within this multiverse and there are a number of other titles where the writers are free to do whatever they like without having to make it fit in a shared universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I'm kinda scared to ask the detail of that story so I'm not gonna... but my current question, now that you remind me about Dinah, is Oliver.

Since the timeline is linear, then Ollie would be in Dinah Drake's generation. So he's gonna date Dinah Drake instead of Lance this time?
    I don’t think he would start dating her until after the switch was made.
    So technically, he only dated Lance, but neither he nor Lance knew this at the time.

Until Lance is taken to see her dead mother and is told the truth, they both believe she’s really Drake, who had left the JSA after her husband’s death.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.