Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Most surprising deaths of a television show character

CBR posted a nice article about this subject (I have a link to the story below)

In your opinion, what was the most shocking death of a tv show character?

https://www.cbr.com/shocking-charact...ash-community/

Extraordinary Member

Tasha Yar Star Trek TNG. Main cast members never died in a Star Trek show before, and certainly not in an almost random manner before the first season was done.

Ned Stark Game of Thrones. You thought he was the main character? Not even that could have him from being Sean Beaned.

Teri Bauer 24. There was a time before Jack Bauer had to suffer for all eternity, then the closing shot of Season 1 happened.

Cartoon edition:
    As a kid, Morph's death (and yes, he died) in X-Men blew my mind.

I suppose along those lines, virtually every Transformer death in the 86 movie as well. Sure, they died in a movie, but they all started out as TV characters.

Also, Infinity Train on Cartoon Network/HBO also deals with character deaths.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

maude flanders from simpsons
    susan ross from seinfeld

the whole cast from dinosaurs

also henry blake and that baby from m*a*s*h

Extraordinary Member

Lori Grimes on The Walking Dead - I didn't read the comics so I'm not sure if or when she died there, but I did not see her death coming at all on the tv show. And especially not the way she died. Quite a shocker.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Tara on Buffy. Joyce, also on Buffy. Henry Blake on MASH (the original "shock death"). Charlie on Lost. Several of the characters on Game of Thrones. Bobby on Supernatural. (Yeah, I know, everybody dies on Supernatural... sometimes many times... but Bobby was a core character and a real fan favorite.) The Lone Gunmen on X-Files.

I think the most surprising TV death for me was the 9th Doctor in Doctor Who.

I wasn't expecting that after his first year. I didn't read any spoilers so I had no idea. I loved Eccleston as the Doctor so much (the second Doctor I ever saw. I only knew Tom Baker) and I wasn't prepared to say goodbye. I was so mad when Tennant appeared after the regeneration..

Retired

Not all that surprising for most of the shows they list since those deaths were indicated in advance (the actor was already announced to have left the show, so a death was a good guess). And some of those shows I've never watched, so those deaths are spoiled for me if I ever do watch them.

Big surprise for me was spoilers:
    Gary on thirtysomething.
    end of spoilers

Abbie Mills dying on Sleepy Hollow was a bit of surprise to me. An even bigger surprise was, given how that show works, they never brought her back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Cartoon edition:

I suppose along those lines, virtually every Transformer death in the 86 movie as well. Sure, they died in a movie, but they all started out as TV characters.
    A surprise is one thing, unknowingly paying cash money (as in a 1980's ticket price and in the case of my Aunt, she paid for 4 tickets that day) for that same said surprise is 3-D. That **** jumped the center line.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Abbie Mills dying on Sleepy Hollow was a bit of surprise to me. An even bigger surprise was, given how that show works, they never brought her back.
    That had more to do with issues behind the scenes. They treated Nicole Beharie horribly.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Lori Grimes on The Walking Dead - I didn't read the comics so I'm not sure if or when she died there, but I did not see her death coming at all on the tv show. And especially not the way she died. Quite a shocker.
    It was shocking but I was happy about it. I couldnt stand her character on the show.

For me even though I watched it 20 years later was Blake on Mash as said before. I was like why he is going home!

The Transformers movie was traumatic for me. I couldnt believe all these cool robot guys dying.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Joyce, also on Buffy. Henry Blake on MASH (the original "shock death").
    Yeah, I remember being slack jawed at both.

Retired

I was only surprised Trapper John didn't die. I guess two deaths would have been overkill.

I’m not sure it’s even possible to top LA Law.