Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post

The next Batman is just a guy who spread the pain of loss to others.
    No the next Batman is someone who made a mistake, and then owns up to his mistake and the loss he caused and becomes Batman to redeem himself.

Owning up to a mistake takes balls and not everyone is willing to do it. It really sets Jace apart from Bruce regarding motivation which I like.

also im scottish so my american law is iffy. But Murder requires 'intention'. He would be guilty of Involuntary manslaughter

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    No the next Batman is someone who made a mistake, and then owns up to his mistake and the loss he caused and becomes Batman to redeem himself.

Owning up to a mistake takes balls and not everyone is willing to do it. It really sets Jace apart from Bruce regarding motivation which I like.

also im scottish so my american law is iffy. But Murder requires 'intention'. He would be guilty of Involuntary manslaughter
    Yeah, and that only if the guy actually died. All we saw was a very bloodied man lying in the road who could at the time still talk, and this deposition is very much a civil case as noted by the case name not being people v. Fox.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Mighty Member

So like can anyone just decide to call themselves Batman? Jace has to know that the real official Batman is alive and well and operating in Gotham, so to decide to take on the identity of someone who is actively around seems strange at best. Yeah I understand wanting to atone for past mistakes and start making a difference but to take on another's identity when said individual is present makes no sense. If Batman shows up and asks Jace why he's calling himself Batman what is his answer gonna be?

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    So like can anyone just decide to call themselves Batman? Jace has to know that the real official Batman is alive and well and operating in Gotham, so to decide to take on the identity of someone who is actively around seems strange at best. Yeah I understand wanting to atone for past mistakes and start making a difference but to take on another's identity when said individual is present makes no sense. If Batman shows up and asks Jace why he's calling himself Batman what is his answer gonna be?
    I feel like he would say he believes in the symbol and what it represents. Bruce would most likely accept that.

He will likely find a Batsuit while working with Lucius and may wear it without any intention of being called 'Batman'. I think he will just want to do what's right and people will assume he is Batman and it'll stick.

Also from what we’ve seen in the past and present, yes anyone can put on any altered version of a batsuit on but expect someone from the Bat-family to eventually confront you about it. And not just heroes, if I recall there was a Grant Morrison story where a bunch of rogue cops dressed as Batman, Tom Taylor has terrorists in white batsuits, battle for the cowl two-face made his own costume, and I’m sure there’s dozens of other examples.

Basically it boils down to someone having to intervene to tell them to knock it off.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    Running away from trouble seems to be his first reaction instead of doing something to lessen the consequence of his action. His action reminds me of the cowardly lot called criminals.

So the next Batman is just gonna be a convicted criminal.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 04-23-2021 at 05:25 AM.

Running away from trouble seems to be his first reaction instead of doing something to lessen the consequence of his action. His action reminds me of the cowardly lot called criminals.

How is he a convicted criminal if he's free?

Technically Jace has already been portrayed as a criminal in the past and this is really only the third time; when he joined a gang because he was convinced that Bruce was a slumlord, when he became the Vulture, and now this hit and run (which we don't know if anyone was killed). It's just that this time it is portrayed as a scared kid who got himself caught in an unfortunate situation because of something that anyone could do (not paying attention while driving). Hell him becoming Batman is a crime in gotham now.

But you know its not as if this is the first character in dc comics or any comics to be responsible for an accident and that moment to influence their transformation, so lets not lay too much into Tim. Only thing that really matters is what happens next as Batman.
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

You seem to have a very sheltered world view on this.

The next Batman being someone trying to atone for manslaughter is more interesting than whatever else they could've done with the mantle, redemption is a common trope but I find this to be executed rather well in contrast to Bruce's origin.

Yeah Jace finally has something that separates him from the other Batfamily members. He’s not a victim of a crime, he’s a perpetrator. He’s not defined by loss or vengeance but by guilt. For him, being Batman is about redemption instead of justice.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah Jace finally has something that separates him from the other Batfamily members. He’s not a victim of a crime, he’s a perpetrator. He’s not defined by loss or vengeance but by guilt. For him, being Batman is about redemption instead of justice.
    Yeah, and I appreciate it being rather grounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Well, Jason was a street criminal who Batman took in, but I guess he was a victim of circumstances and parental issues that led to him trying to steal the Batmobile's tires.

I guess Damian would count too since he was a legit assassin before he became Robin. Unless you count the crime of being raised by the League of Assassins. But his whole first Robin series was about him going back and trying to fix stuff he screwed up during his days with the League.

(This isn't me critiquing Jace's unique motivation, just that it made me think).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, Jason was a street criminal who Batman took in, but I guess he was a victim of circumstances and parental issues that led to him trying to steal the Batmobile's tires.

I guess Damian would count too since he was a legit assassin before he became Robin. Unless you count the crime of being raised by the League of Assassins. But his whole first Robin series was about him going back and trying to fix stuff he screwed up during his days with the League.

(This isn't me critiquing Jace's unique motivation, just that it made me think).
    Jason did what he had to survive, I don't think it's ever stated he murdered someone, but Damian and Cass are most definitely victims with more fantastical origins as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Jason did what he had to survive, I don't think it's ever stated he murdered someone, but Damian and Cass are most definitely victims with more fantastical origins as well.
    I wasn't talking murder, just general crime and breaking the law.

Oh yeah, Cass assassinated people too.

Of course the comparisons aren't 100% apt, I was thinking more just in terms of how their background informs how they view their Superhero identities and being part of the Batfamily.