Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where to start : JSA

So I'd really like to read some JSA, but I'm not entirely sure where to start. I'm a novice comic reader but I've really taken a liking to DC and it's characters, starting with HellBlazer. But I'm trying to branch out and I just love the way the JSA looks. So any suggestions?

Well it really depends, do you want to start from their very beginning or do you want to read their more modern interpretation? Because with their more modern take that people know and want back recently start with Geoff Johns and David Goyer's 90's Justice Society of America run where they bring in Stargirl and Kendra Hawkgirl.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I don't know if it's THE way to start but I got into the JSA through Johns run.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Amazing Member

I'd suggest the 1999 Geoff Johns series, because the art and writing style are more in line with modern comics than the Golden Age so it might be easier to get into than just starting in the 40s comics and going that way. The series also includes most of the expanded cast (Infinity Inc. members) other than I think Norda who is turned into a bird monster for that series. I have heard some Alan fans say they don't like his portrayal there, but it's also not as bad as it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by TheConstantineDoctor View Post
    So I'd really like to read some JSA, but I'm not entirely sure where to start. I'm a novice comic reader but I've really taken a liking to DC and it's characters, starting with HellBlazer. But I'm trying to branch out and I just love the way the JSA looks. So any suggestions?
    Try the mini-serie "JSA: Golden Age". You'll have it all in one mini serie.
    Then you can read the non-canon (but it could very well be) "DC: The New Fontier".

I would suggest one of the following-

All-Star Comics #3 (for the very beginning)
    Justice League of America #21 (and then the yearly JLA/JSA crossovers)
    All-Star Comics #58 (series is revived adding Power Girl, and then later Huntress, to the team)
    All-Star Squadron #1 (beginning the long Earth-2 body of work by Roy Thomas that spreads to Infinity Inc, Young All-Stars and Secret Origins)
    JSA #1 (Johns)

Thanks to digital, all of these options are available, and affordable.

I started with the JLA/JSA crossovers, somewhere after Zatanna joined the League.
    But it was a digest that reprinted All-Star Comics #36, 58 and 59 that really got me into the characters.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Like many here have said I would start with the 1999 JSA series by Johns/Robinson/Goyer. It is without a doubt the best version of the team IMO. Then when that ends read the Justice Society of America series by Johns.

Enjoy! You are in for a real treat!

Oh also if you like the JSA you need to read Starman by James Robinson! It is one of the best comic series period. I believe all of this is on the DC Universe Infinite app. You can't get any more affordable than that.

There were two mini series in the early 90s that were a blast. I found each issue in dollar bins.

Enjoy the best team DC has to offer!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    Like many here have said I would start with the 1999 JSA series by Johns/Robinson/Goyer. It is without a doubt the best version of the team IMO. Then when that ends read the Justice Society of America series by Johns.

Oh also if you like the JSA you need to read Starman by James Robinson! It is one of the best comic series period. I believe all of this is on the DC Universe Infinite app. You can't get any more affordable than that.
    Totally agreed. I didn’t know a lot about the team’s history before reading that series but Johns and co did a great job of making it all accessible. They bring you up to speed little by little so it’s not overwhelming.

I also recommend starting with Geoff John's JSA series. It's a good jumping on point, and the story and art are great.

So I'd really like to read some JSA, . . .
    First, we need to define what you mean by "JSA".

JSA if often used to refer to the Justice Society of America, a group of superheroes that began in 1940.

There was also the series called "JSA" which began in 1999.

The latter series had some of the heroes who were part of the original, Golden Age-era Justice Society of America, but it also had a good mix of younger heroes who were named after many of those original Golden Age characters, many of whom were no longer among the living by 1999.

I would start with the Bronze Age

All Star Squadron 58 published in 1976, it ran for 20 issues or so.

Than hop on over to the 80's and 90's.

The Last Days of the Justice Society of America special issue 1986 - (This is a good issue to familiarize yourself with the team)
    JSA mini series 1991 and 1992

and of course David Goyer & Geoff Johns JSA run 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I would suggest one of the following-

All-Star Comics #3 (for the very beginning)
    Justice League of America #21 (and then the yearly JLA/JSA crossovers)
    All-Star Comics #58 (series is revived adding Power Girl, and then later Huntress, to the team)
    All-Star Squadron #1 (beginning the long Earth-2 body of work by Roy Thomas that spreads to Infinity Inc, Young All-Stars and Secret Origins)
    JSA #1 (Johns)

Thanks to digital, all of these options are available, and affordable.

I started with the JLA/JSA crossovers, somewhere after Zatanna joined the League.
    But it was a digest that reprinted All-Star Comics #36, 58 and 59 that really got me into the characters.
    These are the more "old school" (and the term is perfect here) starting points. There is definitely a Golden Age style to the original All-Star Comics (issues 3 - 57). But those book length epics were huge in comparison to the smaller numerous stories found at that time. Generally the best received of there were the more middle of the run.
    The JLA/JSA teamups were annual stories in JLA which went from early Silver Age and ending in Crisis. The return of All-Star Comics (58-74) belong here as well.
    Roy Thomas' All-Star Squadron (taking place in 1941/1942) and Infinity, Inc. really fleshed out what he wanted to do with Earth-Two.

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post

The Johns/Robinson JSA run was truly a great run. The roster expanded dramatically and we see the team done in what we'd call a modern style.

James Robinson's Starman was a brilliant series which told of the son of a Golden Age JSAer and how his style was dramatically different. It is loaded with history, family, and those JSA characters so many of us on the CBR boards love.

A lot does depend on what your access to these stories is as well as your preferences. Much of this material was done in the style of the period which is not what funny books are like today. I feel confiden ttha any questions you develop and ask will be answered.

Extraordinary Member

Apart from the various JSA titles, there are a number of nice solo JSA character titles. Sandman Mystery Theater give you the Golden Age Sandman in the Golden Age in a noirish classic. One of the best. He's not the current Sandman, but it's well worth it. Robinson's Starman. Johns' Stargirl. Power Girl, (Johns, Palmiotti, Gray, Connor, Winick), the current Doc Midnite mini (early 2000s ?), and some Wildcat stuff.

They won't be about the JSA as a whole, but they are for the most part fun stories about the individual characters, and in some cases are classics of the field.

Basically, the JSA is a whole fun ecosystem of it's own within DC, (too bad DC doesn't seem to care at all about them, evidently the JLA and a few other things are all they can concentrate on at one time). Its well worth getting into it.

As many have said the 1999 Robinson/Johns run is a good place to start reading JSA/Justice Society of America (both names are valid for the group).

I started with the 2006 run of Johns, which was the one tha made me interested in DC in the first place, but I would recommend you first the 1999 run and then the 2006.