Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Death Star vs borg cubes

The Death Star 2 vs say 3 borg cubes.

Who’d win, Vader and Tarkin are on the Death Star 2.

Borg cube for the win. So firstly as far as an a dogfight is concerned tie fighters aren't going to stand a chance against a Borg cube. The only real weapon will be the massive planet killer. But it takes a little while to charge, which would give the Borg enough time to adapt and then board. Once they board the deathstar it's all over. The fact is that any storm troopers stationed on the Death star cannot hit the broad side of a womp rat. So the last line of defense is gonna be Vader and the emperor, and while I do believe they will put up a good fight, not even they can stand up to the Borg.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

They were never shown to adapt to that level of power, which is part of why Species 8472 was a threat to them. The Borg have faced planet busting powers before, and it kept wrecking them.

Also the things that mess with Star Trek transporters the most are weird minerals and weird energy fields, and the Death Star had both.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

That is a solid point, however I'm not saying they would adapt to the planet killer, I don't think they would have enough time to let it charge up for a full blast on one of the cubes. That's another thing, I don't remember there ever being a time where they could set up a multiple target scatter with that weapon. I could be wrong about that though. Also I mean this is Borg were talking about, they may not be able to use transporters , but if I'm correct we seen them more than a few times survive the vacume of space, and manually cutting through the hull of a ship. I dont see how they couldn't make their way onto and then into the Death star

Quote Originally Posted by TheConstantineDoctor View Post
    That is a solid point, however I'm not saying they would adapt to the planet killer, I don't think they would have enough time to let it charge up for a full blast on one of the cubes.
    It's not the DS I with it's 8 hour charge time or whatever, they could fire that thing repeatedly in a battle. The only reason they were slow to fire it at first was the Emperor being wrapped up in the Skywalker family drama and basing his military strategy on that.

That's another thing, I don't remember there ever being a time where they could set up a multiple target scatter with that weapon.
    No but the bits that were constructed were supposed to be loaded with Turbolasers like the DS I, which is why they had to attack it when half the station still needed to be built. Also it's not like the Borg were big on "Dodging" or even "moving slightly". They liked to roll up and just blast their targets with minimal variance.

I could be wrong about that though. Also I mean this is Borg were talking about, they may not be able to use transporters , but if I'm correct we seen them more than a few times survive the vacume of space, and manually cutting through the hull of a ship. I dont see how they couldn't make their way onto and then into the Death star
    They walked on the surface of a ship they were already on and cut it up with welding tools. It's not like they can just jump off a cube and fly through space to hit the Death Star. Also it was a plot point in First Contact that they ARE Cyborgs. They still need their organic bits to survive in order to keep going. So with that in mind I don't know if there's a limit to how much time they can spend in hard vacuum before it bothers them.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

How good is the Death Star at aiming at things that it isn't currently orbiting? Regular Star Wars ships need the pilots to aim manually during dogfights while Star Trek dogfights take place at near or faster than light speed with them just telling the computer to do the aiming for them.

Also, could it really do anything to prevent the Borg from just staying away from the side that had the main cannon? The Borg are pretty much one of the only Star Trek races that could more or less match the travel speed of Star Wars ships, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    How good is the Death Star at aiming at things that it isn't currently orbiting?
    It could fire off-axis and hit capital ships.

Regular Star Wars ships need the pilots to aim manually during dogfights while Star Trek dogfights take place at near or faster than light speed with them just telling the computer to do the aiming for them.
    I would question that with most Star Trek species, but as I pointed out earlier, that is explicitly NOT the MO of the Borg. They just roll up to point blank range and start shooting.

Also, could it really do anything to prevent the Borg from just staying away from the side that had the main cannon? The Borg are pretty much one of the only Star Trek races that could more or less match the travel speed of Star Wars ships, IIRC.
    It could rotate. Also, like I said, the rest of it was supposed to have the turbolasers on the surface too.

BANNED

That is a solid point, however I'm not saying they would adapt to the planet killer, I don't think they would have enough time to let it charge up for a full blast on one of the cubes. That's another thing, I don't remember there ever being a time where they could set up a multiple target scatter with that weapon. I could be wrong about that though. Also I mean this is Borg were talking about, they may not be able to use transporters , but if I'm correct we seen them more than a few times survive the vacume of space, and manually cutting through the hull of a ship. I dont see how they couldn't make their way onto and then into the Death star
    They can’t adapt to energies that are from biological sources and the Death Stars laser is powered by Kieber crystals

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    They were never shown to adapt to that level of power, which is part of why Species 8472 was a threat to them. The Borg have faced planet busting powers before, and it kept wrecking them.

Also the things that mess with Star Trek transporters the most are weird minerals and weird energy fields, and the Death Star had both.
    The Borg weren't able to adapt to it, but not because it was a planet destroying blast. They need to get hit a few times to analyze it and adapt. With Species 8472, they couldn't do that because they kept getting one shotted.

It's not the DS I with it's 8 hour charge time or whatever, they could fire that thing repeatedly in a battle. The only reason they were slow to fire it at first was the Emperor being wrapped up in the Skywalker family drama and basing his military strategy on that.

No but the bits that were constructed were supposed to be loaded with Turbolasers like the DS I, which is why they had to attack it when half the station still needed to be built. Also it's not like the Borg were big on "Dodging" or even "moving slightly". They liked to roll up and just blast their targets with minimal variance.

They walked on the surface of a ship they were already on and cut it up with welding tools. It's not like they can just jump off a cube and fly through space to hit the Death Star. Also it was a plot point in First Contact that they ARE Cyborgs. They still need their organic bits to survive in order to keep going. So with that in mind I don't know if there's a limit to how much time they can spend in hard vacuum before it bothers them.
    First Contact also showed that they can survive in space trivially.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Weren't the Borg pretty unique in Star Trek that they were able to actually transport straight through non-organic energy shields that weren't specifically oscillating their frequencies after observing them for a few minutes beforehand?

as I pointed out earlier, that is explicitly NOT the MO of the Borg. They just roll up to point blank range and start shooting.
    I would say their MO is to adapt.

In this case, the Borg are starting out with basic knowledge, which means they already understand that the Death Star turbolaser is of planet-destroying intensity.

I would put it therefore that evasion will be part of their strategy right out of the gate.
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 02-25-2021 at 11:45 AM.

Borg cube for the win.... Once they board the deathstar it's all over....
    This.

Three cubes, they know in advance (basic knowledge) to evade the turbolaser, and (I think) they can transport through shields.

Even if the Death Star can destroy all three cubes, can it do so before drone boarding parties transport aboard and start assimilating? Seems doubtful.

Wookiepedia has some conflicting stuff on it's armament so I'm going with the smaller numbers and assuming it's what was already installed vs what was intended but it seems like it would have had 10,000 heavy turbolaser batteries and 10,000 light turbolaser batteries, along with about 95,000 various other weapons(laser/ion cannons, various missile launchers) and 440 heavy tractor beams. We know you can hammer through their shields eventually given the Federation fleet had done so when the Enterprise arrived in First Contact, so I really don't see them standing up to that kind of firepower even without the superlaser. Death Star could also likely hold them in place with the tractor beams, which also might defend against the trasporters even if the shields don't since exotic radiation/energy fields/gravity/ whatever tends to play havoc on them too

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    The Borg weren't able to adapt to it, but not because it was a planet destroying blast. They need to get hit a few times to analyze it and adapt. With Species 8472, they couldn't do that because they kept getting one shotted.
    And they will get one shotted by the DSII, so that still works is my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    Even if the Death Star can destroy all three cubes, can it do so before drone boarding parties transport aboard and start assimilating? Seems doubtful.
    Stormtroopers are actually pretty good against anyone who isn't a Main Character, and thus has Plot Protection. But even failing that, Vader was stated to be aboard, and he could hack his way through any number of assimilated drones and stormtroopers.