Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default The Next Sorcerer Supreme should be a Buddhist Indian Female from Mumbai India

India has the world's highest population of Hindus, Buddhists and the world's second highest population of Muslims.

India has over a billion people, 3-4x the population of the US, accounts for nearly a fifth of all of humanity, and is the world's largest democracy.

Many artists turn to Indian culture for inspiration, ranging from Stan Lee to the Beatles.

Doctor Strange (both the comic and the film) heavily borrow elements from Indian, Buddhist and Hindu cultures, best summed up here...

https://youtu.be/h6fcK_fRYaI

Despite all of this, of the hundreds of significant heros that Marvel has created over 80 years, there is not even a single major Marvel hero from India to represent a fifth of all of humanity!

So why not make the next Sorceror Supreme (hopefully first introduced in the Multiverse of Madness) a female physician in Mumbai? The film doesn't even need to mention her religion and would be better served to emphasize her belief in the scientific method, as preached by many Buddhist and Hindu scholars.

As far as casting goes, Bollywood has a huge bevy of Indian actresses to choose from, but if I had to pick one, I would pick Disha Patani solely based on her excellent display of acting chops in Malang...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBIq11mNB0I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJBHSmyqv0Y

...but Bollywood has numerous alternatives as well. Perhaps a South Indian Tollywood actress would be a better fit...

https://youtu.be/smn3mDBOUy4
    Last edited by Wikoogle; 03-11-2021 at 12:45 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Funny you mention this.

It was a rumor last year before COVID that Marvel might have been looking at Indian actresses to play Clea.

But those were only rumors.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Funny you mention this.

It was a rumor last year before COVID that Marvel might have been looking at Indian actresses to play Clea.

But those were only rumors.
    That would be awesome. Hopefully Marvel also writes Clea as an equal to Steven Strange both at sorcery and at science (make her either a Physician/Healer/Psychiatrist or ideally a Ph.D medical researcher in a STEM field), a heroine on her own, with her own agency... not just a simple love interest.
    Last edited by Wikoogle; 02-23-2021 at 02:40 PM.

Spectacular Member

But if neither of the above suggestions pan out and Disney eventually decides to create and introduce a male Desi Superhero, I would recommend casting one of these two...

https://youtu.be/oGneAab3e88

...one already played a Bollywood Superhero Krrish in a film that grossed a whopping 126,000,000 in India alone.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wikoogle View Post
    That would be awesome. Hopefully Marvel also writes Clea as an equal to Steven Strange both at sorcery and at science (make her either a Physician/Healer/Psychiatrist or ideally a Ph.D medical researcher in a STEM field), a heroine on her own, with her own agency... not just a simple love interest.
    O_o

Clea is the daughter of Umar and the niece of Dormammu. She's ruled an entire dimension and was a Sorceress Supreme of the Dark Dimension. She's MORE than the equal to Strange.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    O_o

Clea is the daughter of Umar and the niece of Dormammu. She's ruled an entire dimension and was a Sorceress Supreme of the Dark Dimension. She's MORE than the equal to Strange.
    Excellent! So she's like a grown up Raven from Teen Titans Go!?

Excellent! So she's like a grown up Raven from Teen Titans Go!?
    Except she predates Raven by almost two decades.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Mighty Member

I'd be happy if they brought Rintrah back.

India has the world's highest population of Hindus, Buddhists and the world's second highest population of Muslims.

India has over a billion people, 3-4x the population of the US, accounts for nearly a fifth of all of humanity, and is the world's largest democracy.

Many artists turn to Indian culture for inspiration, ranging from Stan Lee to the Beatles.

Doctor Strange (both the comic and the film) heavily borrow elements from Indian, Buddhist and Hindu cultures, best summed up here...

Despite all of this, of the hundreds of significant heros that Marvel has created over 80 years, there is not even a single major Marvel hero from India to represent a fifth of all of humanity!

So why not make the next Doctor Strange (hopefully first introduced in the Multiverse of Madness) a female physician in Mumbai? The film doesn't even need to mention her religion and would be better served to emphasize her belief in the scientific method, as preached by many Buddhist and Hindu scholars.

As far as casting goes, Bollywood has a huge bevy of Indian actresses to choose from, but if I had to pick one, I would pick Disha Patani solely based on her excellent display of acting chops in Malang...

...but Bollywood has numerous alternatives as well. Perhaps a South Indian Tollywood actress would be a better fit.
    Maybe this guy would have a bigger impact:

Spider-Man_India.jpg
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 02-23-2021 at 04:37 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

So why not make the next Doctor Strange (hopefully first introduced in the Multiverse of Madness) a female physician in Mumbai? The film doesn't even need to mention her religion and would be better served to emphasize her belief in the scientific method, as preached by many Buddhist and Hindu scholars.

...but Bollywood has numerous alternatives as well. Perhaps a South Indian Tollywood actress would be a better fit.
    This gave me pause. Buddhism really isn't that popular in India. Out of 1.4 billion or so people, Buddhists account for only 8.4 million or .7% of the population of India. China, Japan, Thailand, or Cambodia could be better choices.

As for someone who is of Indian or Southasian descent, yeah sure, I could see that happening. Kamar-Taj, the home of the Ancient One, was close to that area. Heck, maybe the next Sorcerer Supreme could be a descendant of the Ancient One.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    This gave me pause. Buddhism really isn't that popular in India. Out of 1.4 billion or so people, Buddhists account for only 8.4 million or .7% of the population of India. China, Japan, Thailand, or Cambodia could be better choices.

As for someone who is of Indian or Southasian descent, yeah sure, I could see that happening. Kamar-Taj, the home of the Ancient One, was close to that area. Heck, maybe the next Sorcerer Supreme could be a descendant of the Ancient One.
    It's because The Buddha is seen as an avatar of Vishnu in Hinduism; so praying to Vishnu is to pray to The Buddha.

I would love to see a Indian hero the closest thing we got are some doctor characters and an Omega Sentinel in the X-Line.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    It's because The Buddha is seen as an avatar of Vishnu in Hinduism; so praying to Vishnu is to pray to The Buddha.

I would love to see a Indian hero the closest thing we got are some doctor characters and an Omega Sentinel in the X-Line.
    Interesting. I'm aware of the openness of Hinduism. It looks as though the Buddha is seen as part of Hinduism. Does that necessarily make a Hindu Buddhist though? There is an acknowledgement, but not necessarily a strong adherence (belief is a very strong term) to the Buddha's dharma. While there are similarities, there are distinctions between the two.

As for an Indian or South Asian character, I still push for a descendant of the Ancient One.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Interesting. I'm aware of the openness of Hinduism. It looks as though the Buddha is seen as part of Hinduism. Does that necessarily make a Hindu Buddhist though? There is an acknowledgement, but not necessarily a strong adherence (belief is a very strong term) to the Buddha's dharma. While there are similarities, there are distinctions between the two.

As for an Indian or South Asian character, I still push for a descendant of the Ancient One.

Yeah totally, Hindu's acknowledge The Buddha as a an avatar but they do not necessarily follow the Dharma.

Hindu's would view Buddhism as a sect of Hinduism, similar to a Greeks who only pray to Herakles and ignore the rest of the pantheon.

I was really surprised that the MCU didn't get a south Asian in the first place for the Ancient One; I mean that seams like a no brainer, especially in the face of a white woman.
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 02-23-2021 at 07:19 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Trinary...
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Disney: Sure thing!

China: .......

Disney: Why don't we give that a wait and see?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest