Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Dr. Strange & The Multiverse should intro a female surgeon Dr.Strange from India

India has the world's highest population of Hindus, Buddhists and the world's second highest population of Muslims.

India has over a billion people, 3-4x the population of the US, accounts for nearly a fifth of all of humanity, and is the world's largest democracy by population and second largest democracy by size.

Many artists turn to Indian culture for inspiration, ranging from Stan Lee to the Beatles.

Doctor Strange (both the comic and the film) heavily borrow elements from Indian, Buddhist and Hindu cultures, best summed up here...

https://youtu.be/h6fcK_fRYaI

Despite all of this, there is not yet a single major Marvel character from India.

So why not make the next Sorceror Supreme (hopefully first introduced in the Multiverse of Madness) a female physician in Mumbai? The film doesn't even need to mention her religion and would be better served to emphasize her belief in the scientific method, as preached by many Buddhist and Hindu scholars.

As far as casting goes, Bollywood has a huge bevy of Indian actresses to choose from, but if I had to pick one, I would pick Disha Patani solely based on her excellent display of acting chops in Malang...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJBHSmyqv0Y

...but Bollywood has numerous alternatives as well. Perhaps a South Indian Tollywood actress would be a better fit...

https://youtu.be/smn3mDBOUy4

Edit: Sorry, my thread title was poorly worded. I didnt mean that the name Dr. Strange should be continued. The name Dr. Strange should be retired when Benedict Cumberbatch retires.

But his successor, the next Sorceror Supreme should come from south asia, since so much of the inspiration for the character also came from that region.
    Last edited by Wikoogle; 03-11-2021 at 12:46 PM.

Why would there be another Dr Strange? Cumberbatch probably gonna be around for a long while. Also India has a huge population but Endgame made a similar amount of money there as it did in Australia. Where as America made like 8x as much just in the open in weekend. So I don't see them catering for that market yet. I'm all for an Indian character but maybe try one that's not already cast.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

you mean an alternate version of stephen strange as an indian lady or just another sorcerer supreme?

i guess either could work but i think cumberbatch is alright enough in the role. with a multiverse setting though id say the more the merrier

Spectacular Member

Just heard a rumor that Marvel is looking to cast a Tollywood actress as Clea! That would be fantastic, as long as they write Clea as an equal to Steven Strange both at sorcery and at science (make her either a Physician or a Ph.D in a STEM field), a heroine on her own, with her own agency... not just a simple love interest.
    Last edited by Wikoogle; 02-23-2021 at 02:30 PM.

Or you can just do a Indian superhero who's new and and her own thing.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    That would be ideal, but if Marvel hasn't bothered to create a single significant Indian superhero of the hundreds of significant heros that Marvel has created over 80 years, what are the odds they would create a new Indian hero just for the MCU?

But if I am wrong and the MCU decides to create and introduce a male Desi Superhero, I would recommend casting one of these two...
    https://youtu.be/oGneAab3e88

...one already played a Bollywood Superhero Krrish in a film that grossed a whopping $126,000,000 in India alone.
    Last edited by Wikoogle; 02-23-2021 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I think we're still talking about the context of MCU and specifically, multiverse counterparts like the Maguire/Garfield/Holland Spider-Men. The reason to do a multiverse story is to show different versions of the same character, and it's much more difficult to have that in a multiverse story with the same resonance. A multiverse also allows for wide variations of the character, like the Spider-Verse cast.

Any other movie or medium, then sure, introduce any new character you want separate from a legacy character and that character has a better chance of getting the time and attention they need. But if you do a multiverse story, you go big and you commit to the premise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikoogle View Post
    India has the world's highest population of Hindus, Buddhists and the world's second highest population of Muslims.

India has over a billion people, 3-4x the population of the US, accounts for nearly a fifth of all of humanity, and is the world's largest democracy by population and second largest democracy by size.

Many artists turn to Indian culture for inspiration, ranging from Stan Lee to the Beatles.

Doctor Strange (both the comic and the film) heavily borrow elements from Indian, Buddhist and Hindu cultures, best summed up here...

https://youtu.be/h6fcK_fRYaI

Despite all of this, there is not yet a single major Marvel character from India.

So why not make the next Doctor Strange (hopefully first introduced in the Multiverse of Madness) a female physician in Mumbai? The film doesn't even need to mention her religion and would be better served to emphasize her belief in the scientific method, as preached by many Buddhist and Hindu scholars.

As far as casting goes, Bollywood has a huge bevy of Indian actresses to choose from, but if I had to pick one, I would pick Disha Patani solely based on her excellent display of acting chops in Malang...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJBHSmyqv0Y

...but Bollywood has numerous alternatives as well. Perhaps a South Indian Tollywood actress would be a better fit.
    There’s probably less than 1 million Indians originally from India living in America right now. There’s no incentive or reason to try and make a major character Indian. The guy in the Eternals movie I think is Indian, but I’m assuming he was born in America with parents from Indian, if that. If you’re waiting for MCU to make such a movie, I think you’ll be waiting your entire life. These movies have a vast source of content to draw from the comics already.

Spectacular Member

That's extremely short sighted. The MCU is very popular in India, and India has a huge young fanbase that routinely nets Bollywood studios tens of BILLIONS of dollars from films released in India every year. If not to give a fifth of the humanity a rep, then atleast out of a capitalistic aspiration to turn the MCU into an international phenomenon, Disney should cast some Indian actors/actresses into major roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel-Studios Rep View Post
    There’s probably less than 1 million Indians originally from India living in America right now. There’s no incentive or reason to try and make a major character Indian. The guy in the Eternals movie I think is Indian, but I’m assuming he was born in America with parents from Indian, if that. If you’re waiting for MCU to make such a movie, I think you’ll be waiting your entire life. These movies have a vast source of content to draw from the comics already.
    Also, why is a Marvel Studios Representative deliniating Indians from Indians that were born in India? The vast majority of ethnic Indians not born in India still consider themselves Indian, are fluent in atleast one language native to India, go to the prayers and shows put on by the local Indian temple or Indian community, have Indian style weddings, routinely watch films made in India along with all major US films, continue to embrace and practice Indian culture even if they happen to be born in Britain or Australia or South Africa or America to parents or grandparents that immigrated from India.
    Last edited by Wikoogle; 02-23-2021 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel-Studios Rep View Post
    The MCU appeals to the global audience, and representation goes a long way towards getting that box office revenue, so it'd be foolish to ignore that market.

As for the number of folks with Asian Indian descent in the US, it's actually 2.8 million in 2010 (the 2020 census data is still processing), and is one of the fastest growing ethnic groups in the US at 69.37%. I imagine that growth rate is similar, if not bigger, in the UK given the imperial history between the two countries. I don't know how many are Indian born vs. American or elsewhere, but family ties between American-born Indians and Indians transplants is usually very strong.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian...nited%20States.
    Last edited by Cyke; 02-23-2021 at 03:17 PM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Strange is the characters legal name. There can't be a new one unless the man gets kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Strange is the characters legal name. There can't be a new one unless the man gets kids.
    Legal naming conventions transcend multiversal barriers!

Though with that said, I'd *really* like to meet Bizarro Dr. Strange.

"But Cyke, that's the wrong company!"

I SAID WHAT I SAID.

Spectacular Member

They could just cast a young Indian actress to play Clea who has a Doctorate/MD/PhD in her own universe, eventually have her wed Steven Strange and plan to have her take on his mantle as Sorcess Supreme and Dr. Strange at a much later date whenever Benedict asks to retire the character and is killed off.

He's in his 40s right? He may have kids out there MCU strange seems deadbeat to me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Why would there be another Dr Strange? Cumberbatch probably gonna be around for a long while. Also India has a huge population but Endgame made a similar amount of money there as it did in Australia. Where as America made like 8x as much just in the open in weekend. So I don't see them catering for that market yet. I'm all for an Indian character but maybe try one that's not already cast.
    Which is saying something considering our population is around 24 million.