Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

The rumored villains have been Electro, Green Goblin and Doc Ock (now all confirmed) and as for the rest... Sandman from the Maguire verse, Lizard from the Garfield verse and both Vulture and Mysterio from the Holland verse (or a variant of both) have been rumored. So six of of those seven. One of the advantages of Sandman, Lizard, Vulture and Mysterio is that they don't have to show the actors faces in theory. The trailer does appear to have a sequence with a combined Electro-Sandman attack.

Grace Randolph also has an interesting theory (her own) that Stephen Strange ISN'T our Strange but either the evil Strange from the What If series (remember Feige said some characters could crossover to live action) or the popular choice of Mephisto.

I’m pretty lukewarm towards this one. The MCU Spider-Man movies (especially the last one) have seemed very focused on spectacle over heart, and this seems like that turned up to 11. The first half of the trailer showing Peter dealing with some real world consequences and actually exploring his supporting cast seems like an interesting story. The minute Dr. Strange showed up I was taken out if it. Doesn’t help that Sony already made a nearly perfect Spider-verse movie.

BANNED

I always find it strange when people bring up things like "heart" as if it's something you can quantify.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I’m pretty lukewarm towards this one. The MCU Spider-Man movies (especially the last one) have seemed very focused on spectacle over heart, and this seems like that turned up to 11. The first half of the trailer showing Peter dealing with some real world consequences and actually exploring his supporting cast seems like an interesting story. The minute Dr. Strange showed up I was taken out if it. Doesn’t help that Sony already made a nearly perfect Spider-verse movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Overall, it's a pretty decent trailer. Wish we got in a few months ago however, the buzz from it was starting to feel overplayed and I think I just needed something to look forward to get me back in the Cinema after nearly 2 years. Yeah, I'll give this one a go. I didn't really like the other two, but I'm willing to give this one a fair shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    So is this just an excuse to have loads of cameos from old Sony films, and Tom will say "wow, this is crazy, thank goodness I was able to capture lots of this on my new Sony folding mobile phone?" while he swings past a giant Playstation 5 billboard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Thoughts:

I guess because of Spider-Verse but it just doesn't feel like the right time to do it for Holland's Spider-Man.
    Amazing I thought I was going to be the only one saying all of this stuff and be at the receiving end of some comic fans, but I am blown away that people here are agreeing with everything I said here about how the multiverse concept feels here compared to spiderverse and the overplayed hype of this film.

I agree the trailer should have come out months ago. However I did not see Electro Foxx and Dafoe Goblin in the trailer, so where the comicbookmmovie get those pictures?

BANNED

It's strange how you act like it's some sort of triumph that people who didn't like the first 2 movies probably aren't gonna like this one

If one thing is going to make me post a comment after months of absence it is a MCU/Sony trailer for a new Spider-Man movie.

So, what does this trailer tell us that we didn’t know already? It tells us that they are leaning into One More Day in a potentially safer way, that this is still an uncompromising MCU tie-in, that at least some of the multiversal casting rumours are true but not all of them are fully confirmed.

The way this trailer has been structured I suspect there is a little slight of hand going on. Most of this is probably from the first half hour of the story and my bet is that Strange is not quite as heavily involved in the whole story as he appears to be here. Probably the first and last acts.

The One More Day element is also unlikely to be as sweeping as it might appear. I guess the big question is whether any of the past is fully wiped away. If the spell here is just one of memory, that seems unlikely but this is where trailer magic comes in. For example, when exactly does Peter have the Iron Spider suit? When exactly does he come face to face with Doc Ock? Are those two moments genuinely part of the same scene? Does it actually happen before the spell?

If the spell puts us in a universe where nobody has ever known Peter’s identity would he still have the Iron Suit? Possibly not, unless he literally moves from one reality to another wearing it. He would never have met Tony.

It seems unlikely that at the end of this movie we will be able to look back at any of the preexisting movies and say “none of this happened” even from Sony’s perspective.

I find it interesting that one of Quesada’s stated aims for One More Day was to resolve the Tony Stark storyline and let’s face it, all of the MCU Spider-Man movies are essentially that story on a character level. Making this movie the final separation from Stark and his legacy would make a lot of sense.

This would eventually mean a loss of the Iron Spider suit and less connections to the MCU plot line. But as we are in an entirely new phase of continuity this probably doesn’t matter that much at the moment. The Avengers no longer really exist in the form that they have in the past.

I understand the fear from some that this hands Spider-Man back to Sony but in reality Sony never loosened their grip on the character and are highly unlikely to ever do so. It remains in both Sony and Marvel’s interest to continue a close relationship so this has never been a concern from my perspective. It will free up Sony to use Spider-Man in their own crossover movies but that isn’t some ‘secret evil plot’ against Feige. This has always been the most likely outcome and the exit strategy was probably part of the Avengers deal in the first place. None of this means we will not see Spider-Man in future MCU projects.

Because I haven’t been around these forums for a while I don’t know if the ‘received wisdom’ of the various Sony / MCU deals still holds sway but I fear it probably does. It is almost impossible to argue against that huge weight of accumulated misinformation. I tried many times. There has always been a vicious circle of fan speculation and misinformation and an ill-informed press that read and regurgitate the misinformation as fact because they have to write something.

Suffice to say, at any moment Sony and the MCU can shake hands on any of the characters and they inevitably will do again. This gives Sony a very strong financial and creative incentive to not diverge too far from a joint vision. Nothing in Sony’s deals with the MCU gave Disney/Marvel any tighter hold over the character in the longer term. Just, while they cooperate. Sony can walk away whenever they want with full creative control and a return to the old financial situation, and that has always been the foundation upon which the various deals were built. The trick for both parties is to maintain a mutually lucrative situation and that comes with cooperation not some made up feud.

So, in my opinion, a future Spider-Man Sony project that has no Marvel creative control is not something to be worried about.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    If one thing is going to make me post a comment after months of absence it is a MCU/Sony trailer for a new Spider-Man movie.

So, what does this trailer tell us that we didn’t know already? It tells us that they are leaning into One More Day in a potentially safer way, that this is still an uncompromising MCU tie-in, that at least some of the multiversal casting rumours are true but not all of them are fully confirmed.

The way this trailer has been structured I suspect there is a little slight of hand going on. Most of this is probably from the first half hour of the story and my bet is that Strange is not quite as heavily involved in the whole story as he appears to be here. Probably the first and last acts.

The One More Day element is also unlikely to be as sweeping as it might appear. I guess the big question is whether any of the past is fully wiped away. If the spell here is just one of memory, that seems unlikely but this is where trailer magic comes in. For example, when exactly does Peter have the Iron Spider suit? When exactly does he come face to face with Doc Ock? Are those two moments genuinely part of the same scene? Does it actually happen before the spell?

If the spell puts us in a universe where nobody has ever known Peter’s identity would he still have the Iron Suit? Possibly not, unless he literally moves from one reality to another wearing it. He would never have met Tony.

It seems unlikely that at the end of this movie we will be able to look back at any of the preexisting movies and say “none of this happened” even from Sony’s perspective.

I find it interesting that one of Quesada’s stated aims for One More Day was to resolve the Tony Stark storyline and let’s face it, all of the MCU Spider-Man movies are essentially that story on a character level. Making this movie the final separation from Stark and his legacy would make a lot of sense.

This would eventually mean a loss of the Iron Spider suit and less connections to the MCU plot line. But as we are in an entirely new phase of continuity this probably doesn’t matter that much at the moment. The Avengers no longer really exist in the form that they have in the past.

I understand the fear from some that this hands Spider-Man back to Sony but in reality Sony never loosened their grip on the character and are highly unlikely to ever do so. It remains in both Sony and Marvel’s interest to continue a close relationship so this has never been a concern from my perspective. It will free up Sony to use Spider-Man in their own crossover movies but that isn’t some ‘secret evil plot’ against Feige. This has always been the most likely outcome and the exit strategy was probably part of the Avengers deal in the first place. None of this means we will not see Spider-Man in future MCU projects.

Because I haven’t been around these forums for a while I don’t know if the ‘received wisdom’ of the various Sony / MCU deals still holds sway but I fear it probably does. It is almost impossible to argue against that huge weight of accumulated misinformation. I tried many times. There has always been a vicious circle of fan speculation and misinformation and an ill-informed press that read and regurgitate the misinformation as fact because they have to write something.

Suffice to say, at any moment Sony and the MCU can shake hands on any of the characters and they inevitably will do again. This gives Sony a very strong financial and creative incentive to not diverge too far from a joint vision. Nothing in Sony’s deals with the MCU gave Disney/Marvel any tighter hold over the character in the longer term. Just, while they cooperate. Sony can walk away whenever they want with full creative control and a return to the old financial situation, and that has always been the foundation upon which the various deals were built. The trick for both parties is to maintain a mutually lucrative situation and that comes with cooperation not some made up feud.

So, in my opinion, a future Spider-Man Sony project that has no Marvel creative control is not something to be worried about.
    Welcome back.

Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t Sony have 100% creative control on these movies?

Marvel is co-producing but I remember there being a discussion around a clause that says that Sony must give the go-ahead to all of Marvel’s creative decisions regarding the Spider-man movies.

We know that Holland's Spider-Man is going to be guest starring in Doctor Strange 2, right? These two movies are essentially two halves of the same story in my opinion. But I am curious if Sony's ultimate goal here is indeed to shift Holland over to the Venomverse.

Extraordinary Member

A couple of things that I noticed:

MJ asking Peter if he's relieved now that he doesn't have to lie anymore. Dr. Strange telling Peter that the more he tries to live to separate lives the worse things will get.

So I get the impression Peter isn't going to get what he wants in the end.

The Spider Man movies try to have as much fun with Peter's secret I.D. as possible while at the same time in universe and on a meta level regarding secret I.D.s as pointless.

I missed the references to Sandman and Electro that everyone else saw. I wasn't a fan of the Marc Webb Electro the first time I saw him. Not looking forward to seeing him again.

Sandman showing up would be cool however.

I've enjoyed the MCU Spider-Man films for what they are and with Doctor Strange appearing...........and the possibility of seeing the three live action Spider-Men appear together, I'm all in!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Welcome back.

Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t Sony have 100% creative control on these movies?

Marvel is co-producing but I remember there being a discussion around a clause that says that Sony must give the go-ahead to all of Marvel’s creative decisions regarding the Spider-man movies.
    Yeah, people like to try and make it out that all the things they don't like about MCU Spider-Man is all Marvel's fault, but actuality is Sony is the one who wants these characters in the Spider-Man movies, this is no different than what they did with Spider-Man 3 or the Amazing Spider-Man movies, difference being unlike those two where they tried to stuff in a lot cameos to set up sequels and spin offs they're in an established universe so they're borrowing from what Marvel already has to do so.

It's why this insistence that people have that Sony would make a perfect Spider-Man movie without Marvel is funny to me, because so many of the things they don't like come from Marvel complying with Sony

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

The way I see it, these things don't happen on paper. That is the legal stuff not day-to-day reality.

Sony do of course have full creative control over a movie they produce and Sony do indeed produce them. But in reality the deal on a creative level is more about maintaining the partnership. So, famously it was reported that Tom Holland was Marvel's choice. Sony could have vetoed this on a pure legal level, but this was part of the give and take of cooperation.

There are a number of levels that we can analyse the deal but IMO the most important isn't creative or legal, but financial. The current status quo is valued by both sides financially and everything else can be changed to help maintain that financial situation. Disney values control over merchandising, Sony value the connections with the huge movie franchise just over the garden fence. Neither of these things are permanent.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-24-2021 at 05:09 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Lizard also appears to be hinted at in the trailer. so that leaves either Mysterio, Vulture or someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    I can't possibly imagine a world where Venom is better, like outside of Tom Hardy acting like crazy person and some action really nothing about the movie is good.
    Kind of my sentiments towards the MCU Spider-Man films actually, so guess I like Hardy acting crazy over Holland acting like...whatever he's acting like a bit better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Kind of my sentiments towards the MCU Spider-Man films actually, so guess I like Hardy acting crazy over Holland acting like...whatever he's acting like a bit better.
    He's a teen who's in over in his head, i don't see what's hard to get about it